Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 17:17   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which is the most seaworthy sailboat model you can think of?

The one that gets me to the 'Other Side'..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 11:23   #92

Re: Which is the most seaworthy sailboat model you can think of?

Hi All,

I know I'm a little late to this party, but have a little bit of first hand knowledge.

I had a Rawson R30, built in 1961. In an extremely violent storm half way between Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan. I had a green green crew, literally and figuratively. So I single handed for 14 hours.

I don't know the wave height, but they were definitely bigger than 20' with a period of 10 to 15 seconds. Winds gusting to 60+ knots. Worst storm I've ever been in.

It seemed like we were under water more than we were on top. The cockpit was flooded for hours. I didn't dare leave the wheel to throw out the drogue , for fear of being knocked down or rolled. So, just kept it pointed.

The Rawson was built like a tank. Came threw with zero damage. Heavy slow pig of a boat. Full keel, weather helm. But under sail in fair weather it was awesome!

So, agree with the others, older heavy boat. One that can be awash for hours and not take on a drop.
The Salty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 11:40   #93

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Actually, why would you want to design a boat for hurricane conditions. Hurricanes are relatively small weather systems that are easy to avoid.

In ordinary storm conditions, well designed boats, that are sailed accordingly, independent of type will be safer than badly designed boats built primarily with living space in mind. But on the other hand, how often do you encounter really heavy conditions?

Some very light displacement boats, like the VOR70s are proven to be extremely seaworthy, if sailed actively. So also heavy displacement boats like Colin Archers, and various steel designs.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 11:43   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Salty One View Post
Hi All,

I know I'm a little late to this party, but have a little bit of first hand knowledge.

I had a Rawson R30, built in 1961. In an extremely violent storm half way between Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan. I had a green green crew, literally and figuratively. So I single handed for 14 hours.

I don't know the wave height, but they were definitely bigger than 20' with a period of 10 to 15 seconds. Winds gusting to 60+ knots. Worst storm I've ever been in.

It seemed like we were under water more than we were on top. The cockpit was flooded for hours. I didn't dare leave the wheel to throw out the drogue , for fear of being knocked down or rolled. So, just kept it pointed.

The Rawson was built like a tank. Came threw with zero damage. Heavy slow pig of a boat. Full keel, weather helm. But under sail in fair weather it was awesome!

So, agree with the others, older heavy boat. One that can be awash for hours and not take on a drop.
Sorry, 20´waves and wind gusting to 60+ knots sounds like a gale, not a storm Can be scary enough on a small boat, though.
Old 26-04-2018, 13:05   #95

Very scary indeed Martin. And agreed, any port in a storm. Unfortunately, that particular storm was shown. Built up out of nowhere over night.
The Salty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 13:21   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Salty One View Post
Very scary indeed Martin. And agreed, any port in a storm. Unfortunately, that particular storm was shown. Built up out of nowhere over night.
Happens. In my opinion, most boats will manage heavy weather if sailed correctly. The mental component of a storm is another matter. Noise, movement, the anticipation of disaster, lack of sleep tires you out and makes you prone to bad decisions. Especially if this continues over a longer time.

Hurricane conditions, I think whatever boat you have it basically means lottery. I have been in a Force 12 one time in my life, and that was on a 300m/60000t vessel. We suffered a lot of damage and with a little bit less luck could have foundered. We were pretty close. Nothing I want to ever be caught in again.

Tags
model, sail, sailboat, seaworthy