Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 23:46   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Which is the most seaworthy sailboat model you can think of?

Getting back to the thread, what about Evans and Beth's Hawk? The Van de Stadt Samoa has collectively done a lot of safe high latitude miles, and often with short crews. Very strong, excellent performance, nice accommodations. Could do worse...

Jim
Old 02-09-2016, 23:49   #47

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Yeah Jim, Hawk would be pretty high up on my list as well. Just a little bit bigger and heavier than I would like to handle on my own. Perfect for a competant and fit couple.
Old 02-09-2016, 23:57   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Yeah Jim, Hawk would be pretty high up on my list as well. Just a little bit bigger and heavier than I would like to handle on my own. Perfect for a competant and fit couple.
Yeah, Ben, it is a big and powerful vessel for sure. I like the alloy or strip plank/cold moulded versions better than the steel ones... a lot lighter and thus less rig loading, etc. Ann and I seriously considered the design, but could not find one that appealed and was in budget. In the long run, I'm happy that we ended up with the Sayer... several tonnes lighter, smaller rig and less daunting! I reckon that the Samoa would be very taxing for us to sail nowadays!

Jim
Old 03-09-2016, 01:02   #49

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

^^ Jim, you got a good one with I2. I think you are right about the lighter wood/alloy versions, and Id put you guys into the fit and competant category! They look like powerful boats. Any larger and you are getting into the power winch/bowthruster range. Its intersting that Evans says they actually would have been happy with a sliighly smaller version, but they wanted the good dodger that the Samoa has.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:37   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which is the most seaworthy sailboat model you can think of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

It would be like considering your tender to be more seaworthy than your boat.
But.. if its all you've got left.. I bet you'd gratefully climb into it..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:25   #51

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

It would be like considering your tender to be more seaworthy than your boat.
You make a very poor comparison.

Ship's lifeboats, especially the modern ones, are extremely seaworthy....

Take the case of the Heythrop's boat frinstance.. used in the abandonment of Heythrop ( fire and explosion ) on 9th November 1971 offshore from Port Elizabeth , South Africa.
Turned up at Albany, W.A. 11th February, 1973.
Had done at at least one and a half circumnavs south of the 'Great capes'...

Plenty other documented long voyages ( manned) on record. An example...
'In June 1923 the Hain Line steamer "Trevessa" loaded with zinc concentrates and on route from Fremantle to Durban sank very quickly in the Indian Ocean during a violent storm. The 44 crew members scrambled into two lifeboats, some with very little clothing on, and the Captain Cecil Foster decided to endeavour to make for Mauritius some 2,000 miles away. With no compass and only enough water for 7 pints per man, 550 biscuits and two cases on condensed milk they were immediately put on strict rations. The boats soon became separated and with the soaring heat of the tropics some succumbed to drinking salt water which caused them to become delirious and death followed quickly. With no wind the men had to row which aggravated not only their swollen hands and feet but also their bodies which were suffering from extensive salt water boils. It was only by perfect discipline and obedience to the Captain's orders that the crew stuck together and on the 23rd day one boat landed on the island of Rodriguez. Three days later the second boat landed at Bel-Ombre, Mauritius and a total of 34 men survived.'

New ones are more seaworthy but not designed for long sea passages... no standing lugsails these days......bugger.

Pic = standard issue ( British) ship's ( motor) lifeboat circa 40s/50's. Lugsail and mast etc on port side bench, air cooled diesel engine, 100% positive flotation...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img121.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	130501  
Old 03-09-2016, 04:42   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which is the most seaworthy sailboat model you can think of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Take the case of the Heythrop's boat frinstance.. used in the abandonment of Heythrop ( fire and explosion ) on 9th November 1971 offshore from Port Elizabeth , South Africa.

'In June 1923 the Hain Line steamer "Trevessa" loaded with zinc concentrates and on route from Fremantle to Durban sank very quickly in the Indian Ocean during a violent storm. The 44 crew members scrambled into two lifeboats, some with very little clothing on, and the Captain Cecil Foster decided to endeavour to make for Mauritius some 2,000 miles away. With no compass and only enough water for 7 pints per man, 550 biscuits and two cases on condensed milk they were immediately put on strict rations. The boats soon became separated and with the soaring heat of the tropics some succumbed to drinking salt water which caused them to become delirious and death followed quickly. With no wind the men had to row which aggravated not only their swollen hands and feet but also their bodies which were suffering from extensive salt water boils. It was only by perfect discipline and obedience to the Captain's orders that the crew stuck together and on the 23rd day one boat landed on the island of Rodriguez. Three days later the second boat landed at Bel-Ombre, Mauritius and a total of 34 men survived.'

New ones are more seaworthy but not designed for long sea passages... no standing lugsails these days......bugger.

Pic = standard issue ( British) ship's ( motor) lifeboat circa 40s/50's. Lugsail and mast etc on port side bench, air cooled diesel engine, 100% positive flotation...
Seem to remember a bloke called Bligh making an epic journey in a ships lifeboat/jolly boat a coupla hundred years back..
Oh.. and the Sadler 26 and 29 are 'unsinkable'..

http://sailboatdata.com/imagehelper.asp?file_id=3164

Hull Type: Fin w/transom hung rudder Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
LOA: 25.75' / 7.85m LWL: 20.50' / 6.25m
Beam: 9.42' / 2.87m Listed SA: 273 ft2 / 25.36 m2
Draft (max.) 4.67' / 1.42m Draft (min.)
Displacement: 4800 lbs./ 2177 kgs. Ballast: 2000 lbs. / 907 kgs.
Sail Area/Disp.1: 15.39 Bal./Disp.: 41.66% Disp./Len.: 248.73
Designer: David Sadler
Builder: Sadler Yachts (UK)
Construction: FG Bal. type:
First Built: 1981 Last Built: # Built: 200
TANKS
Water: 10 gals. / 38 ltrs. Fuel: 10 gals. / 38 ltrs.
RIG AND SAIL PARTICULARS KEY
I(IG): 31.00' / 9.45m J: 10.40' / 3.17m
P: 26.31' / 8.02m E: 8.50' / 2.59m
PY: EY:
ISP: SPL/TPS:
SA(Fore.): 161.20 ft2 / 14.98 m2 SA(Main): 111.82 ft2 / 10.39 m2
Sail Area (100% fore+main triangles): 273.02 ft2 / 25.36 m2
Sail Area/Disp.2: 15.40 Est. Forestay Length.: 32.70' / 9.97m
BUILDERS (past & present)
More about & boats built by: Sadler Yachts
DESIGNER
More about & boats designed by: David Sadler
NOTES

Like the SADLER 29, the SADLER 26 was provided with the same kind of extra flotation making it unsinkable even when flooded.
Bilge keel version draft: 3.5'.
Shallow fin: 3.83'.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:47   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Surviving a hurricane is tough, but if we broaden the question slightly to determining the most seaworthy boat, I think our current boat comes close . It has very strong aluminium construction, large waterproof crash bulkheads fore and aft, and features such as metal standpipes which raise the seacocks above the waterline, and a cofferdam around the rudder, which prevents rudder problems flooding the boat. No keel bolts, a bomb proof steering system etc etc. The size is close to perfect in my view (48 feet). Large enough to get the seaworthy benefits of larger vessel, but still small enough to easily manageable.

Our new boat will incorporate all these features, but has taken the concept a step further with 5 waterproof areas so the yacht is as near as possible unsinkable. In the event of a major breach it should float high enough to effect repairs rather than some "unsinkable vessels" that would be just awash.

The security of a very seaworthy boat is a great psychological boost when times are tough. You need to have confidence in your boat.

However, remember that the crew makes at least as much of a difference, as the boat. Cruising is a wonderful lifestyle. Don't think you have to have the most seaworthy boat to start this lifestyle. Plenty have made far more adventurous voyages than we are planning in far less seaworthy boats.

Get out and do it rather than worrying too much.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:00   #54

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The security of a very seaworthy boat is a great psychological boost when times are tough. You need to have confidence in your boat.

Plenty have made far more adventurous voyages than we are planning in far less seaworthy boats.
That's like a free psychological boost for me when I start feeling unsure of myself or my boat, I just think about how people have sailed around the world on a lot less than what I am on. I agree though, you must feel safe or else what's the point
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25   #55
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Archer lifeboats can be turned into cruising boats if you've got a mind for it.

Having a hard liferaft is in my thoughts due to that recent story of the year long survival of that fisherman recently. I'm not sure you will last long in an inflatable but its isnt long.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:10   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Totally ridiculous, you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. There's no way our six person liferaft or highfield tender is any way near as seaworthy as a 53ft Oyster. If your liferaft is more seaworthy than your mothership... Wow, I don't even know how to comment on that... just wow. I'd consider getting a different boat if I was you, but I don't believe that to be the case.

Another thread becoming ridiculous on CF. Where do some of you come up with such nutty ideas as a tender or liferaft as being more seaworthy than a mothership.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:40   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Where do some of you come up with such nutty ideas as a tender or liferaft as being more seaworthy than a mothership.
It comes from some belief that smaller boats, corks, and wineglasses are compact and respond more quickly to the forces of an open sea, or can be built with positive floatation. They forget about the nasty env elements and a nice safe doghouse to put your Brompton.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:41   #58
cruiser

He is right about Colin Archer lifeboats but who the hell is dragging one of those around?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:50   #59

Boat: Hans Christian 41

I might be slightly biased, but Hans Christian yachts tick all the boxes, and the were loosely based around the colin archer rescue ships, so you get two for one, a rescue ship and a yacht!!😀

Oh, and they are bloody gorgeous too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1472917800.924733.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	130533
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:05   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
I might be slightly biased, but Hans Christian yachts tick all the boxes, and the were loosely based around the colin archer rescue ships, so you get two for one, a rescue ship and a yacht!!😀

Oh, and they are bloody gorgeous too!

Attachment 130533
and full of maintenance teak to take up all mu Monkey time.
and a small cockpit

Tags
model, sail, sailboat, seaworthy