Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 15:01   #1

Which Direction to Look In?

Looking for some advice.... im a bit aways from buying a boat but I want to start looking and researching now. Please give me some suggestions as to what boats you think I should look into.

I am a fast learner and quite technical, but dont have a whole lot of experience working on boats. I want to get something I can fix up, by the time I set sail I want to have done a lot of work on my boat and I want to know it inside and out, as well as have it set up just how I want it.

My price range is flexible, but as I said I want to do some work on the boat myself so I would rather get something for a good deal and then fix her up to my standards than get something shiny and spend all my money.

I am looking to live on the boat so it needs to be something of size, bare min 32 ft.

I will be cruising between the ICW and Caribbean mostly, but I would like something thats not a hunk of lead in case I decide to take it passage making. I dont mind full or fin keels.... they both have ups and downs, as long as the boat sails well. I prefer faster boats that can sail upwind, rather than lots of extra space.

Price range-25,000-40,000
Length- 32-45
Requirements- wheel steering, fiberglass hull, solid design, im looking for something that can take a little abuse... dont want to worry about passage making if I chose to do that.
Anything im forgetting?

Thanks for your help!
Boxerchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 15:42   #2

Just curious... why wheel steering?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 15:47   #3

To be honest.... I cant really justify that. ive sailed lots of boats and always enjoyed it more when I had a wheel rather than a tiller. If I found the PERFECT boat and it had a tiller I may be able to sway my mind the other direction, im trying to stay open minded but as I said I would prefer the wheel.
Old 02-06-2009, 15:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I don't see from your post where you are located, but I would suggest that you concentrate your search on South Florida. Many retirees have included a sailboat with their move to Florida and it's not uncommon for an unused boat to be sitting in a widow's backyard dock. I AM NOT suggesting any expoitation of the elderly, but I have seen many good buys (good for the seller and the buyer) in Fort Lauderdale. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 15:54   #5

Well, thanks for the honesty. Most people would make something up, but in fact a wheel is just not necessary unless additional leverage is needed to actually steer the boat. And so I always try to point out that wheels on boats in your smaller range are an unnecessary nuisance in terms of sacrificed cockpit room, additional maintenance and likelihood of failure, and cost.
Old 02-06-2009, 16:25   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
a few boats worth checking out

pearson 32
cal 34
erikson 36
islander 36
Old 02-06-2009, 16:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Well, thanks for the honesty. Most people would make something up, but in fact a wheel is just not necessary unless additional leverage is needed to actually steer the boat. And so I always try to point out that wheels on boats in your smaller range are an unnecessary nuisance in terms of sacrificed cockpit room, additional maintenance and likelihood of failure, and cost.
haha yeah, I figured I would catch some flack for that one. its a stupid want on my part and I may end up tossing it to the wind just because wheel boats seem to be so much more expensive and with a boat that size the plus sides are..... oh yeah, nothing except I think its a tad more fun to drive haha. Anyways, this is exactly why im doing this... may come to find out I cant find what I want for the right price with a wheel.
Anywho, thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em rollin in
Old 02-06-2009, 16:53   #8

oh, and an afterthought for speedoo! show me what im missing out on boat wise... what can I get with a tiller that will put this silly wheel to shame for half the price?
Old 02-06-2009, 17:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerchip View Post
haha yeah, I figured I would catch some flack for that one. its a stupid want on my part and I may end up tossing it to the wind just because wheel boats seem to be so much more expensive and with a boat that size the plus sides are..... oh yeah, nothing except I think its a tad more fun to drive haha. Anyways, this is exactly why im doing this... may come to find out I cant find what I want for the right price with a wheel.
Anywho, thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em rollin in
Well, I'm glad you're open to the idea of a tiller. And I think you said you like sailing upwind. If that's true, I think you'd find sailing with a tiller is actually much more enjoyable than with a wheel, because you can actually feel what the rudder is doing much more readily and that helps you sail upwind better.

But sadly there are very few tiller steered boats (unless you go to a racer or racer/cruiser), because the boat manufacturers know that most boat buyers want wheels... I really don't know why this is the case and that's why I asked you the question.

One nice smaller cruiser I've seen tillers on is the Islander 32 MkII... worth a look.

on edit... since I own one, I look at the used market for Islander 32 MkII occasionally and invariably the tiller steered boats are several thousands less in asking price, on average.
Old 02-06-2009, 17:25   #10

What about a Beneteau first series (prob a 38 or maybe a 305)? Beneteaus seem to have a bad rep around the dock, but I dont quite know why... ive enjoyed them when ive sailed them. Any input?

I like the islander 36 quite a bit... they seem to have a strong following too.
Old 02-06-2009, 17:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerchip View Post
What about a Beneteau first series (prob a 38 or maybe a 305)? Beneteaus seem to have a bad rep around the dock, but I dont quite know why... ive enjoyed them when ive sailed them. Any input?

I like the islander 36 quite a bit... they seem to have a strong following too.
I like the Beneteaus a lot. Bad rep around the dock... that's kinda funny, but then so is a lot of stuff one hears around the dock. I was seriously looking at a 305 last year on ebay... did not bid high enough. It even had a tiller!