Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 09:55   #1

Boat: Tiki 38
Which boatyard - Portimao or Faro (Nave Pegos - Bruce's boatyard)- or maybe La Coruna

Hello,

I'll need to move my boat soon, from Gibraltar (precisely La Linea, but that is a detail ) to the boatyard - I plan to get to Portugal.

I considered Faro and Bruce's boatyard, but after LBS where I spoke to Portimao's marina men I'm not so sure. I'll need to do some extensive work on my boat over next few months so I want to choose well.

Third option which I considered briefly is La Coruna, but that being a week cruise if I'm lucky has to have some really good points to convince me and so far I'm not sure the price alone does that.

So in short - what are your opinions about those three boatyards? I would love to hear from those who used two or all three, but I realise that finding them maybe a tall order so if you used any of them - I would love your opinion! Especially, if it was recently.

thanks
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which boatyard - Portimao or Faro (Nave Pegos - Bruce's boatyard)- or maybe La Co

Depends on your needs.. Faro is a crane out and a rudimentary hard standing.. or was last time I was that way.
Portimao has several options.. Travel Lift for the marina run Yard which is concreted as is the other one there.. you can work on your boat and there's chandlers, sailmakers, mechanics within a couple of hundred metres.
Though personally I use the fishermans supply depot for antifoul, cordage etc.
If its just somewhere to store the boat then Faro is likely the cheapest bet.. unless you join the Wharram community in Cuelatra and get one of the semi permanants to do Guardianage..
Just reread your post.. Portimao.. hands down..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14   #3

Re: Which boatyard - Portimao or Faro (Nave Pegos - Bruce's boatyard)- or maybe La Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Depends on your needs.. Faro is a crane out and a rudimentary hard standing.. or was last time I was that way.
Portimao has several options.. Travel Lift for the marina run Yard which is concreted as is the other one there..(..)
I don't know if they still want me in Wharram's community, I'm a traitor with a monohull now (and heavy displacement to make things worse ).

I watched some videos from Faro from 6 and 4 years ago - they have concreted whole thing apparently and there is a Travel Lift of 40T, plenty for me.

But the point about boating supplies is something important, thanks. Few hundred meters around that is good
Old 03-02-2017, 10:53   #4

Re: Which boatyard - Portimao or Faro (Nave Pegos - Bruce's boatyard)- or maybe La Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniia View Post
I don't know if they still want me in Wharram's community, I'm a traitor with a monohull now (and heavy displacement to make things worse ).

I watched some videos from Faro from 6 and 4 years ago - they have concreted whole thing apparently and there is a Travel Lift of 40T, plenty for me.

But the point about boating supplies is something important, thanks. Few hundred meters around that is good
My boats currently in Bruce's yard.

These days it's all concreted, with solid metal cradles.

Its more of a DIY yard, so if your planing on doing the work yourself it's a good choice.

Otherwise one of the other yards would be a better bet (other than antifouling they don't do much work on customers boats, and getting outside tradesmen in often seems to be complicated take a long time......)
Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which boatyard - Portimao or Faro (Nave Pegos - Bruce's boatyard)- or maybe La Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniia View Post

Ahah..!! you updated your Avatar..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 04-02-2017, 09:40   #6

Bruces in Faro is concreted all over and is very secure, he has two travel hoists.However, If you want work done it is not the best place to go on the Algarve, I would recommend Marina Formosa in Olhao or the traditional yard beside it. In Olhao therer are all the trades and machine workshops you need as it is a large fishing port.
Portimao? are you talking about the marina yard or one of the other hard standing areas there, also it is a bit of a walk to the town and the outlying industrial estates.
La Corunna? too cold in winter and a hard slog to get up there. So for me it would be Marina Formosa or the trad yard beside, then Faro.
However having said all that, there is a new yard open in Vilal Real de san Antonio, I think it is the second one on the way in on the Portuguese side of the river. Caution, bad reports on the origonal one there so make sure you get the right one, some friends have been their in the last year and they strongly recommend it.
noblewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:32   #7

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

I do not know Portimao or Faro boatyards but, in 2014, we left our boat in the Tagus Yacht Center, www.tagusyachtcenter.com/, in Seixal on the left (south) bank of the Tagus river across from Lisbon and were very satisfied with their services. We had mechanical work performed as well as solar panels installed and a new bimini and dodger . All by local contractors or the boatyard itself. The yard manager, Rafael Venancio, and his staff are very nice, offer excellent services at extremely competitive prices. Only problems: you can only reach the boatyard at high tide. The yard is an easy ferry ride from Lisbon and, again, offer the best prices in whole Portugal (by far).
We would not hesitate to go back if we were in that area.
jmpapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:55   #8

My boat is at Marina Seca in La Coruna on the hard. I find them very professional but if you want to stay on your boat,as I do, take in consideration that the toilet block is closed in the weekend in the winter.
If you want to work on your boat yourself, it will be best to ask them.

If your boat can stay in the water there several marinas
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:42   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Hi,
Don't know Bruce's boatyard, but we know Portimao: We stayed 9 months there. But for work and chandlery you are better of in lagos, just a few hours sailing to the west of Portimao. Lot's of foreign yachts stay there, and the boatyard is good, but quite busy. So best to make an appointment if you want to be hauled out.
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:05   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc bulterys View Post
Hi,
Don't know Bruce's boatyard, but we know Portimao: We stayed 9 months there. But for work and chandlery you are better of in lagos, just a few hours sailing to the west of Portimao. Lot's of foreign yachts stay there, and the boatyard is good, but quite busy. So best to make an appointment if you want to be hauled out.
Sopromar in lagos might well be the best boatyard along that coast, high quality work but with a price to match!
Handy having a well stocked chandlery next door but again, a budget killer.

In Bruce's you can get kit delivered, small selection of stainless fittings in the Aki diy shop next door and a few other options in town but not a huge selection. Very well run boatyard, someone will come out to guide you in and cradles are rock solid.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:06   #11

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

We hauled out at Antonio's yard in Portimao.
I can not express enough how good it was and cheaper than any of the other yards.
You can work yourself on your boat or have then/contractors do whatever you need.
Apart from our own work on the boat, we used their services for some heavy SS work and it was great and cheap!!
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59   #12

Thanks everyone (but keep writing new answers, they are really useful!) I have a lot to think about now
Old 08-02-2017, 11:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If your more comfortable with an 'English' b'yard and town go to Lagos.. if a more Portuguese b'yard then Portimao is the place to be.. great Bifana's and cold beer/real coffee from the little stall just outside the yard. For a cheap but good evening meal the bar/restaurant behind the Fish Factory is spotless.. 1/3rd the price you'd pay for the same at a tourist bar..

Old 29-07-2017, 01:04   #14

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
We hauled out at Antonio's yard in Portimao.
I can not express enough how good it was and cheaper than any of the other yards.
You can work yourself on your boat or have then/contractors do whatever you need.
Apart from our own work on the boat, we used their services for some heavy SS work and it was great and cheap!!
does anyone have the contact details of antonio's boatyard in portimao?
heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:48   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

It depends on the jobs because A Coruña is much wetter and colder climate.

In the South, being South, mind quotes and notes tend to bear little relevance to terms and actual bills. My friends clashed reality there with a 1 month project becoming a 3 month unfinished one and the bill being twice what was quoted pro-forma.

No problem if you do your own work though. I would go South as this gives better chances of dry weather.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat