Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2008, 04:58   #46

Boat: Ranger 33
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
14 day weather forecasts? Even a 3 day forecast is pushing it. Weather is weather and changes as the wind, at least over land.

When I used to fly, weather was the determining factor for even the shortest day trip, because I can tell you, there is nothing worse than being up there wishing you were on the ground, just as there probably is nothing worse when things get out of hand at sea, and you're wishing you were tied up at the dock.
I know exactly what you mean....I survived one plane crash and that was enough, that's why I'm taking sailing more seriously....lol
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 08:33   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
I know exactly what you mean....I survived one plane crash and that was enough, that's why I'm taking sailing more seriously....lol
That doesn't sound good.

In my years of being a flight instructor, I can count on both hands how many pilots I used to have coffee with in the club's lounge that are no longer with us. Mind you, most of them were weekend private pilots.
Old 25-03-2008, 01:34   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
That doesn't sound good.

In my years of being a flight instructor, I can count on both hands how many pilots I used to have coffee with in the club's lounge that are no longer with us. Mind you, most of them were weekend private pilots.
yep same here in Australia....I was under instruction when we crashed which really didn't give me a lot of faith in flying...lol...maybe try again in a few years
Old 25-03-2008, 09:32   #49

Quote:
yep same here in Australia....I was under instruction when we crashed.
Lets hope that instructor isn't working for Quantas. One of my students is with Air Canada flying the B-767 and Airbus. I wouldn't hesitate sitting in his aircraft. He was a damn good student!

Back to sailing. Airplanes are too noisy and not what I consider relaxing.
Old 25-03-2008, 10:51   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I'm in the NTSB annals as well - who would have thought that there would be a bunker hidden on that par 5? No, I didn't lose power in that airplane, I was flying a race in a glider and cut things a little to close But coming from gliding, I have brought a huge respect for the power of Mother Nature! I think that a faster vessel coupled with good sources for weather information is much safer on crossings than one missing either of those two attributes.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 01:14   #51

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'm in the NTSB annals as well - who would have thought that there would be a bunker hidden on that par 5? No, I didn't lose power in that airplane, I was flying a race in a glider and cut things a little to close But coming from gliding, I have brought a huge respect for the power of Mother Nature! I think that a faster vessel coupled with good sources for weather information is much safer on crossings than one missing either of those two attributes.
Ok.. 14 day forecasts might be a bit much but with a sat phone and internet I should get some good weather data....but finding the boat will be the challenge....will let you all know next week
Old 26-03-2008, 01:54   #52

Go wojo Go....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 15:02   #53

PICTURES! WHERE ARE THE PICTURES! Oh right you haven't bought it yet.
PINS AND NEEDLES! We're very excited for you let us know ASAP, what you decide upon.
Old 05-04-2008, 23:31   #54

Ahhhhh...the list is getting shorter.....which is the tougher boat...Lancer 36, Ericson 35, Hunter 34 or San Juan 34

The Hunter is the heaviest should I go on that or the Lancer which is longer and has a deeper draught or the Ericson Mk2 for all round construction. And if I'm not mistaken they are all roof stepped masts......The San Juan is keel stepped...maybe thats better for the tough stuff????....Ahhhhhhh
Old 06-04-2008, 00:05   #55

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Shane Acton, (book is called Shrimpy) did a circumnavigation in a 17ft plywood boat.
Old 06-04-2008, 00:26   #56

Boat: Trismus 37
Don't get too anal about it, there are as many "right yachts" as there are
sailors/yachties out there, a properly rigged deck stepped mast is as good as anything else and one with a tabernacle even better, (my opinion) go with what you can afford. get your boat, learn to sail, by that time you will have learnt heaps and a lot of the questions you are asking will be self evident, Good Luck, Go for it!!
Weather forecasts, rain and wind forecast last weekend, it didn't, Raining the last 3 days, nope just started 1/2 an hour ago, they are just "forecasts" not guarantees. Learn to read the weather yourself, this has become a lost art since we have allowed others to be responsible for us.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:52   #57

At this point I would look at things like, size of cockpit, how much water will it ship, or how fast will it drain, size/durability of portals/windows (bigger windows = more light and more water they'll ship if knocked out by a wave.) What is the head, galley and berth layout like? Which has the best features like ice box or fridge, gimbaled stove/oven or fixed cooktop. What is the electrical layout like? Which has the better battery system or fuel capacity? These boats should all be similar, but it's now up to your personal preferences. Personally, I like the hunter and the Ericson best myself; but it wont be my boat... Good luck, keep us in the loop.
Old 06-04-2008, 18:33   #58

List is getting smaller

Well the Lancer is sold so now I'm down to a Hunter 34 or a few Ericson 35s and one San Juan 34.....I thought shopping was supposed to be fun...lol....
Old 06-04-2008, 18:50   #59

Quote:
The San Juan is keel stepped...maybe thats better for the tough stuff????....Ahhhhhhh

Bill Crealock's boats are deck stepped. They are pretty solid boats. There is one train of thought that dismasting a keel stepped boat may result in ripping off the cabin roof.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 21:20   #60

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Bill Crealock's boats are deck stepped. They are pretty solid boats. There is one train of thought that dismasting a keel stepped boat may result in ripping off the cabin roof.

Jack
Good point Jackdale....I suppose it's easier to repair as well, easier to lift off I mean..

Cheers