Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:43   #1

Boat: Ranger 33
Which Boat to Cross the Pacific In????

Hi all....
I hope it's not too tough a call but I'm looking at buying a boat and sailing it from California to Australia.

I'm really asking opinions on the hulls real as each boat would have different inclusions and setups. I guess I'm counting on peoples experiences and knowledge of the following models.

Ranger 33 1978
San Juan 34 1985
Hunter 34 1983
Ericson 35 1975 or 1980
Lancer 36 1984
Islander 36 1973

Which of the above boats would be tough enough and suitable to cross the Pacific. Please, honest assessments.

I'm sorry about the selection but these are the only boats I can afford
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:58   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would think your options are much wider than just 5 boats. Have you looked at many sites to compare prices, and pics? Do you have a rig in mind, accomodations, hull, and the list goes on. Many people have crossed in what may have been looked upon as unseaworthy. I am not suggesting an unseaworthy boat. I am just giving an example. I have not looked into the average cost of the boats you post. Use that number for your research on yachtworld.com, and you will be surprised at your options. BEST WISHES IN YOUR SEARCH..........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
What about a Tayana?
Island Packet?
Pacific Seacraft?

etc., etc.

Lots of possibilities out there.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:33   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Wojo,

What about the sailor? How do you plan to do this trip? Do you have any experience or additional crew members to help you?

I think you may be thinking that picking the right boat is all it takes. Lots more issues go into this. I could argue picking the boat is the least important issue. Your list seems more about a list of cheap boats so there is obviously a total budget to consider. As far as the money part the initial purchase just gets you into the game and isn't close to getting away from the dock.

There is certainly a lot of information and help here to get you started. Don't take any of this discussion so far as giving you a hard time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36   #5

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
I think all of the mentioned boats would do fine if outfitted well. I have heard a lot of good things about the sailing ability of the Ericson 35.

(I'm assuming these boats listed are boats in your price range you are eyeing)

Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Ranger 33
Ranger Sailboat Owners’ Association rangeryachts.org
Latitude 38 Latitude 38 Boat of the Month: Ranger 33

Ericson 35
Review by Jack Horner N.A.: BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Ericson 35
Info’: http://cruisingresources.com/Ericson_35_(1969_-_1982)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I see from the Horner review that the older Ericsons were built with the Atomic 4 gas auxillary. Opinions differ, but personally, I'd try to stick with diesel.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:18   #8

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I see from the Horner review that the older Ericsons were built with the Atomic 4 gas auxillary. Opinions differ, but personally, I'd try to stick with diesel.
I would go with a diesel as well. I had an atomic 4 in my old boat and got it to work great, but it really isn't an ideal inboard (for obvious reasons).
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Don't see anything on your list I would consider crossing any ocean on.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56   #10

I have never crossed an ocean and have no interest in doing so. However, we cruised the Bahamas/Caribbean for 2 ½ years on an ‘83 Hunter 34 and obviously, it was acceptable for us. They are moderate weight, fast, and roomy for their length and vintage. Despite their relatively short model run, they were very popular boats and there are still many available at attractive prices. IMO in good condition and reasonably well equipped, they are a real bargain and an excellent platform for liveaboard cruising. However, Bahamas/Caribbean cruising is glorified daysailing. You have the luxury of carefully picking weather windows for the one day sail to the next island; and everyone does this regardless of how bombproof they think their boat is.

From Baha to the Marquesas is about a month long sail and you want the kind of boat that can best handle whatever nasty surprises the gods care to serve up. ‘83 Hunters 34s have crossed the Atlantic as recently as last year. Probably, someone has sailed the Pacific in one, but no one considers them to be bluewater boats. Much as I like and defend them, they are not really designed for your intended use.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:05   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
If these were the only boats to consider and they all had equal equipment the three I would narrow it down to would be the Islander, Ranger and Ericson in that order. If there is an option for diesel vs gas auxiliary I'd chose the diesel.
Good luck.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 23:07   #12

Absoluletly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Wojo,

What about the sailor? How do you plan to do this trip? Do you have any experience or additional crew members to help you?

I think you may be thinking that picking the right boat is all it takes. Lots more issues go into this. I could argue picking the boat is the least important issue. Your list seems more about a list of cheap boats so there is obviously a total budget to consider. As far as the money part the initial purchase just gets you into the game and isn't close to getting away from the dock.

There is certainly a lot of information and help here to get you started. Don't take any of this discussion so far as giving you a hard time.

You are dead right of course. But I guess its good to start with a good base and build on that. The crew department is pretty good with 4 on board with various seamanship skills....

thanks for your reply
Old 12-03-2008, 23:08   #13

cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Don't see anything on your list I would consider crossing any ocean on.
thanks anyway
Old 12-03-2008, 23:11   #14

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
If these were the only boats to consider and they all had equal equipment the three I would narrow it down to would be the Islander, Ranger and Ericson in that order. If there is an option for diesel vs gas auxiliary I'd chose the diesel.
Good luck.
JohnL
Thanks...I liked the islander. She has nice weight and room and smooth lines but the age put me off a bit....I guess a good survey will tell

Thanks SkiprJohn
Old 12-03-2008, 23:13   #15

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I would think your options are much wider than just 5 boats. Have you looked at many sites to compare prices, and pics? Do you have a rig in mind, accomodations, hull, and the list goes on. Many people have crossed in what may have been looked upon as unseaworthy. I am not suggesting an unseaworthy boat. I am just giving an example. I have not looked into the average cost of the boats you post. Use that number for your research on yachtworld.com, and you will be surprised at your options. BEST WISHES IN YOUR SEARCH..........
Hi I should have stated I was only going to be in the Los Angeles -San Diego area for a few weeks before I headed back home again. So I'm limited in time and selection.

cheers