Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2008, 05:04   #31
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
a friend of a friend,transports boats to OZ from the US for 10 grand..
$10k? I would doubt that. The cradle to ship it would cost $10k. Or should I say th cradle that shipped a boat 10 years ago to the med cost $10k

The customs site lays the rules out quite clearly 10% gst and 5% luxuary tax and it includes the delivery including food etc on the trip / crew fees transport, the lot.

I think Wojo's idea is fine.... its just a 1970's boat is nearly 40 years old. Thats a long time for a boat, as Boaracay says, rust never sleeps.

If the budget is $40k and the expenses are $4,000 for a life raft, $500 EPIRB, $799 registration, $1,000 survey, $1000 gps and charts, $2,000 provisioning, $2,000 accomodation and food in US, $2,000 flights for 2 people
Total (without contingencies) $53,299 + $8,000 tax = $61,300



Mark
__________________

__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 01:36   #32
Registered User
 
mudnut's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
$10k? I would doubt that. The cradle to ship it would cost $10k. Or should I say th cradle that shipped a boat 10 years ago to the med cost $10k

The customs site lays the rules out quite clearly 10% gst and 5% luxuary tax and it includes the delivery including food etc on the trip / crew fees transport, the lot.

I think Wojo's idea is fine.... its just a 1970's boat is nearly 40 years old. Thats a long time for a boat, as Boaracay says, rust never sleeps.

If the budget is $40k and the expenses are $4,000 for a life raft, $500 EPIRB, $799 registration, $1,000 survey, $1000 gps and charts, $2,000 provisioning, $2,000 accomodation and food in US, $2,000 flights for 2 people
Total (without contingencies) $53,299 + $8,000 tax = $61,300



Mark
Well I did say"A friend of a friend",10K was the price quoted,I might just ring him over easter and find out the story from the horse's mouth.From what I understand he's been doing this for a few yrs.

As for the customs,things change if the boat has been modified/owner built.The culculation for that is not clear.I would imagine even a 20yr old boat would have modifications.I carnt reason as to why food and accomodation in the states would be included in thier calculation or the flights.I would'nt be taxed like that if I went over for a holiday(Flew over/flew back)Whats the sense in it?Mudnut.
__________________

__________________
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 07:56   #33
Registered User
 
Wojo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Boat: Ranger 33
Posts: 118
Still going

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
WOJO,

How's the search going? While looking at Latitude38 look at their CLASSY CLASSIFIED section too
Still going....I'm tending to go for the Hunter 34 because of weight and beam but the Lancer 36 design has a successful Transpac history.....not to worry I'll be in L.A in a couple of weeks to check them out and I'll let the form know what I decided.

Cheers
__________________
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 07:57   #34
Registered User
 
Wojo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Boat: Ranger 33
Posts: 118
Yes do Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Chuck, can you explain why?

What makes a boat acceptable for crossing any ocean? Are they not all sea worthy? Rough water on Lake Superior or on an ocean...what is the difference? Can some boats not take the endless punishment?

Curiousity has me wondering.
yes I'm interested too
__________________
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 07:58   #35
Registered User
 
Wojo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Boat: Ranger 33
Posts: 118
Too true

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexposeidon View Post
I agree with the majority that it's the Captain, more than the boat, that makes the cruise possible. I also agree that there are alot more boats out there for the money than you have found. Don't count out one of designs, home built boats, and the like. What are the answers to the eterna questions, speed vs. endurance? Will this be a one time trip or will you spend the rest of your life on this boat? Answer these questions and you'll get alot more information than you asked for. I had a Hunter, loved it. BUT, it lacked storage. Which made a long cruise difficult. 1000 questions, 1000 sailors, 1,000,000 answers. Good luck
Just want to get her back to Oz in one piece and then just coast stuff from there....
__________________
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:05   #36
Registered User
 
Wojo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Boat: Ranger 33
Posts: 118
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
Hey Wojo,what is your price range/limit in AUD.Also,what have you found out concerning import duty and the like?I've been to the customs site and thier termanology is wider than the ocean ya want to cross.

The reason I ask is because a friend of a friend,transports boats to OZ from the US for 10 grand.It all got me thinking about what 20 grand could by in the states,ya probably pay 35 and up for the same equivelent over here.Have ya looked into transport cost as apposed to the cost of the trip back.I would love to see the price they would put on a I 36 in OZ,BTW,thats the boat I would pick.Just because I like it.Mudnut.
OK 5% duty plus 10% on GST on cost of boat plus freight plus insurance.....but becuase of the Australian Free Trade Agreement I might be able to not pay duty if it's a US made boat. (I'll check that out this week)....The best price I got for transporting a boat as deck cargo was US$24000. I want to speak to your friend if he can do it for $10K..lol
__________________
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:15   #37
Registered User
 
Wojo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Boat: Ranger 33
Posts: 118
Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
Well I did say"A friend of a friend",10K was the price quoted,I might just ring him over easter and find out the story from the horse's mouth.From what I understand he's been doing this for a few yrs.

As for the customs,things change if the boat has been modified/owner built.The culculation for that is not clear.I would imagine even a 20yr old boat would have modifications.I carnt reason as to why food and accomodation in the states would be included in thier calculation or the flights.I would'nt be taxed like that if I went over for a holiday(Flew over/flew back)Whats the sense in it?Mudnut.
Pretty good on the costings but I was able to source an ocean going life raft for $2k but the rest is on the money. What they add for GST,Mudnut is the expenses you incurred in sailing the boat over charts ,for fuel etc except shore expense.


That's why I like the Hunter and Lancers as they are 80's boats.Still old I know, but modern designs...

Stay tuned.....
__________________
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:22   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Keswick, ON Canada
Boat: Islander 36
Posts: 81
G'day Wojo.

I own an Islander 36 on Great Lakes. It is a nice boat but I do not think that was designed to cross the oceans. The biggest drawback would be very big (and very convenient) companionway and small cockpit drains. However, my boat was registered in SF then Hawaii than again SF. It is very comfortable for island hoping or two weeks vacation. If you would like to cross Pacific with her it would require a lot of preparation and reinforcements. Otherwise, for coastal cruising is very good and fast!!

Chris
__________________
Rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:25   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada & Europe
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
yes I'm interested too
Maybe someone can provide some insight.

To someone as inexperienced as I when it comes to this subject, I started asking myself questions when I read some of the comments.

I would have thought (and maybe they are), that boats like a Beneteau, or a Bavaria, or a Hunter (just some names I came across in Yachtworld.com) are all seaworthy.

And if they and others are not, why not? Do the fiberglass hulls break apart in heavy seas, etc? Just an honest question...I'm not being smart.
__________________
All the best,
Alex
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:26   #40
Registered User
 
Wojo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Boat: Ranger 33
Posts: 118
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodz View Post
G'day Wojo.

I own an Islander 36 on Great Lakes. It is a nice boat but I do not think that was designed to cross the oceans. The biggest drawback would be very big (and very convenient) companionway and small cockpit drains. However, my boat was registered in SF then Hawaii than again SF. It is very comfortable for island hoping or two weeks vacation. If you would like to cross Pacific with her it would require a lot of preparation and reinforcements. Otherwise, for coastal cruising is very good and fast!!

Chris
Thanks Chris they are very good looking boats
__________________
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:30   #41
Registered User
 
Wojo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Boat: Ranger 33
Posts: 118
I hear you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Maybe someone can provide some insight.

To someone as inexperienced as I when it comes to this subject, I started asking myself questions when I read some of the comments.

I would have thought (and maybe they are), that boats like a Beneteau, or a Bavaria, or a Hunter (just some names I came across in Yachtworld.com) are all seaworthy.

And if they and others are not, why not? Do the fiberglass hulls break apart in heavy seas, etc? Just an honest question...I'm not being smart.
Exactly....a wave is a wave, whether its 10 miles out or 100 miles.....If you can sail a boat to Catalina why can't you sail it to Hawaii.....I figure you can get reliable 14 day weather forecasts...pick your window and go for it....but, like you, I'm just learning and picking things up as I go.
__________________
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:52   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada & Europe
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
I figure you can get reliable 14 day weather forecasts...pick your window and go for it.
14 day weather forecasts? Even a 3 day forecast is pushing it. Weather is weather and changes as the wind, at least over land.

When I used to fly, weather was the determining factor for even the shortest day trip, because I can tell you, there is nothing worse than being up there wishing you were on the ground, just as there probably is nothing worse when things get out of hand at sea, and you're wishing you were tied up at the dock.
__________________
All the best,
Alex
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 09:00   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Maybe someone can provide some insight.

To someone as inexperienced as I when it comes to this subject, I started asking myself questions when I read some of the comments.

I would have thought (and maybe they are), that boats like a Beneteau, or a Bavaria, or a Hunter (just some names I came across in Yachtworld.com) are all seaworthy.

And if they and others are not, why not? Do the fiberglass hulls break apart in heavy seas, etc? Just an honest question...I'm not being smart.

There are a few things to consider:

1) the size of the waves. The greater fetch the wind has the bigger the waves it can produce.

2) the repetitive nature of longer trips. So you're on starboard tack beating for a day. The connections on the bulkheads hold the rudder post holds up fine. After four days there is more strain on all the parts a week in heavy seas and big waves might push those weak connections to the breaking point.

3) You have to factor in that the help available along the coast or in the great lakes will be there in a few hours. In between Hawaii and US 6 to a day. Between Hawaii and Tahiti it could a few days.

4) Some boats are just not built as solid as others b/c they are not expected to be used in as rough conditions.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 10:03   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada & Europe
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Some boats are just not built as solid as others b/c they are not expected to be used in as rough conditions.
In that case, are there recognized ratings or certifications for boats to tell the buyer what a certain make/model can withstand? I also realize how a boat was handled in the past and how it was maintained would make a difference to its present day condition.

I remember hearing what sounded like massive hammer blows on the hull of the ferry I was on between St.Barbe, Newfoundland and Blanc Sablon, Quebec while on my way to Labrador. The Strait of Belle Isle can be rough.
__________________
All the best,
Alex
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 11:18   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
The Europeans I know have a rating system. I don't know about the US. Also older boats do not have the rating ystem. There are some very strong opinions on this forum as to the quality of boats. Lots of boats get slammed b/c they can't take the rigours of a circumnavigation. They maybe fine for a caribean circle or costal cruising along the ICW by they get slammed anyway.
__________________

__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waiting to Cross to Bahamas S/V Antares Atlantic & the Caribbean 4 26-12-2007 08:11
How feasible is trucking a boat cross-country. alohasailing Monohull Sailboats 20 28-03-2007 04:24
Smallest Catamaran to attempt to cross the Atlantic or Pacific Lundy Multihull Sailboats 13 23-02-2007 11:05
solar 21 just about to be first solar/electric powered boat to cross atlantic schoonerdog Multihull Sailboats 2 07-02-2007 10:04
Cross 28 Trimaran Kelldog Multihull Sailboats 13 16-11-2006 16:45



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.