Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 09:59   #1

which boat?

Ive decided to purchase a boat in the states and spend a month out there potentially in a small group sailing.
Ive millions to chose from but at the minute ive narrowed it down to 3 models.
All 3 seem to be in pretty good condition.
I'm fantastic at selling things but crap at actually parting with things so potentially could have this for a while and if i get big enough balls and grow attached may even consider bringing it back over to the uk.
Guys dont get too hung up about the blue water capabilities of each but opinion on these three models against each other would be great.
first Columbia 30 COLUMBIA 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
second Cal 34 COLUMBIA 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Third Bristol 30 BRISTOL 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The bristol guy claims bristols make good blue water cruisers .
So ??
Thanks for opinions
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 10:21   #2

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: which boat?

You posted Colombia 30 twice....here's the Cal 34:

CAL 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

At first glance, the Bristol: the rudder is better protected and the keel looks more substantial (less breaky-offy).

Bluewaterboats is a useful resource for comparing....it's nicely laid out and has links, pics, histories and comments:

Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

p.s. G'day Woody, please forgive my bad manners in not greeting first.
I was considering a grp boat and if I had purchased one I made a mental note to prefer earlier builds for their overbuilt hulls, but pre-1973 oil embargo; it seems the later ones had significantly more problems with osmosis. Around the early to mid 80's things picked up again in resin quality, but builders also started making them thinner (lighter).
Old 20-08-2015, 10:29   #3

sorry heres the cal COLUMBIA 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
but ive got to say the more i search the more the bristol 30 reputation seems to shine through .
Old 20-08-2015, 11:28   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

This guys seems to agree with Bristol Sailboats being good offshore boats. Looks like the Cal 34 is on this list also.

Check his list below:

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:33   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Are you intending to re-sell in the near future? If so pick a boat that has a following as they sell easier / faster
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:38   #6

I checked the Cal 34 link and it showed the same layout down below as my friend's Cal 34.

The galley fills up the entire starboard side. There is no seating there. There are no sea berths, and by this I simply mean no easy way to rig lee cloths, anywhere.

It's by far the smallest amount of usable space on a 34 foot boat that I've seen.

Consider carefully if you're planning further long term cruising.

For coastal sailing it's just fine.

My experience sailing my friend's Cal 34: heavy, heavy helm (even with new, well trimmed sails). Just my experiences.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 12:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
This guys seems to agree with Bristol Sailboats being good offshore boats. Looks like the Cal 34 is on this list also.

Check his list below:

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
this guys advice seems priceless , thanks
Old 20-08-2015, 17:10   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

The call was a racer/cruiser it will sail nicely in light air but might be a little less comfortable long term to live aboard. I used to sail a Bristol 30 many years ago, they are solidly built traditional boats in design. Which means a narrower beam to length ratio than modern boats but also means decent sailing manners. They do have a conservative sail area/displacement area so their a bit sluggish in light air but solid in heavy air. Decent accommodations for a couple but might be tight for a family, depends on what you consider snug here in the states people think you need a 4000 square foot home for a family of 4, I know it's different across the pond. They were very solidly built and would be fully capable of crossing the pond as well as local cruising. They have low freeboard so the cockpit can be a little wet in sloppy seas, but nothing that different from traditional boats of their Era.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 17:14   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

The Bristol 30 was designed toward the early years of fiberglass so it's a brick **** house but pretty with its traditional lines. Don't see many around these days and I live and sail in the area they were originally built. The one I sailed on was bought by a person from Maine who eventually sailed it to Europe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 22:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Woody, There are so many more questions to ask.

I came across an article when I was looking for my first boat. I found myself comparing the gadgets boats had thinking that the one with more gadgets, like a car with more buttons and toys on it, was the better deal. What this article said was to look at the boat purchase in another way.

Which boat will let your feel the experience you want. The experiences you are seeking from a boat are more important than the gadgets on the boat. All owners know the moment they buy for the latest and greatest MFD or GPS or Auto Pilot, a newer and better one will be at the next boat show. None of the gadgets will deliver the dream you have, and your dream is different from mine or any of the other owners on this forum.

Once I thought about how many people I wanted to share my boating experience, what type of experiences I want to have, and where I want to have them The boat for me just presented her self. It was an easy decision.

For me it was a Cal35 Cruiser. Just an ideal boat for the Pacific Northwest Puget Sound sailing I want to explore. Only 120 made from 1973 to 1974. What are the odds that there would be 3 of them available in the Puget Sound area just when I wanted to buy one. Before I identified the experience I wanted the Cal35 was not even on my radar.

Best of luck in your quest.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote