Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-07-2010, 16:51   #76

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
Ok I have changed my mind the international Folkboat it looks pretty good and looks like it might need very little to actually enjoy. Less work is sounding more and more like the best option. Could someone please give me the basic details why this is a good boat for sailing in the hawaii area? Is it going to be a good boat to advance to the next level....... what ever that means?
Good idea, but get moving. I doubt it will be on the market long at that price.

Here is some good info on it ...Nordic Folkboat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note under "geographical spread" in the link that there is an active racing fleet in the San Francisco Bay area.

And don't let anyone convince you that you need a inboard diesel engine. You will learn faster and better without it.

Old 27-07-2010, 17:53   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha,
Our Yacht Club has two IF 26 and they are good because they are absolutely round the world seaworthy. Interisland sailing is a piece of cake. They track and sail like a dream. The only issues I have with them is very little interior space but that's no problem for Hawaii because you don't live in the boat, you live on the boat. The other issue is where is the engine? They are ungainly hanging off the stern on a motor mount and the little engine well that's built into about half of them is off center, is open to the sea unless you pull the engine all the way out and store it and put the big square plug in. When hanging off the stern they come out of the water in big chop especially if you have someone on the foredeck. An IF with an inboard tiny little diesel would be an ideal little cruiser.
When you talk with the guy who has the one over on Kauai, ask about an engine. I don't think he lists one. That means you have the expense of adding a motor mount and buying an outboard.
Am I wrong? Maybe. I've worked on these boats and sailed them extensively. They are great boats but are not everyone's cup of tea.
kind regards,

Old 27-07-2010, 18:01   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Oh, you might ask, why do you need an engine in Hawaii? Once you get in the lee of some of the taller islands winds become flukey and sometimes non-existent. For instance there is countercurrent just on the lee (west side) of South Point on the Big Island that pushes you to the rocks if you get to where the wind lets down. Very surprising but hard to break out of that current without going miles to sea.
regards,
Old 27-07-2010, 18:21   #79

In case you haven't already found it, here is the current owner's website which has more info about the boat .....HOME « OCEANSLOGIC
Old 27-07-2010, 19:33   #80

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Saw this on the Hawaii CL

28' sailing dory project-free to right person. Need a trailer to haul.

Might be worth a look

Title was "Project Sailboat"
Old 27-07-2010, 21:51   #81

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Ok I have changed my mind the international Folkboat it looks pretty good and looks like it might need very little to actually enjoy. Less work is sounding more and more like the best option. Could someone please give me the basic details why this is a good boat for sailing in the hawaii area? Is it going to be a good boat to advance to the next level....... what ever that means?
FOLKBOAT 26 (INTERNATIONAL) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

You might also check out the Cal28, decent performer, great room below.

CAL 28 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
Old 28-07-2010, 00:48   #82

dont let enyone convince u that u do not need it is convinient ad u dont have thoughts what if
what if what if

so u say I HAVE ENGINE

but u know if two ships are going to crash they will crash

is as if u have an insurance but what for the chance that is going to happen to me is one in a ................. but still u have it and u feal better well take an epirb at least and run when there is an inland wind nevertheless u need to decide before the storm since in it my be to late

ps just to continue the thread when is it the best moment to leave the boat *and dont steer towards the rocks *** \\\\\\\\\\\(smiles)
Old 28-07-2010, 01:09   #83

Boat: Westsail 28
Westsail 28: WINDFALL - W28

-Steve
Old 28-07-2010, 03:56   #84

looks great and there might be a possibility of negotiating the price maybe >?
yeah looks good boat
Old 28-07-2010, 04:02   #85

But the boats in Florida and the OP is in Hawaii, so I don't think its going to be an option.
Old 28-07-2010, 04:31   #86

good boat enyway
Old 29-07-2010, 00:57   #87

Thanks for all the info everyone. I think I am going to hold off and save for a bigger kitty. And get more experience so hopefully I'll be able to make a better decision.
Old 29-07-2010, 01:53   #88

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha,
Our Yacht Club has two IF 26 and they are good because they are absolutely round the world seaworthy. Interisland sailing is a piece of cake. They track and sail like a dream. The only issues I have with them is very little interior space but that's no problem for Hawaii because you don't live in the boat, you live on the boat. The other issue is where is the engine? They are ungainly hanging off the stern on a motor mount and the little engine well that's built into about half of them is off center, is open to the sea unless you pull the engine all the way out and store it and put the big square plug in. When hanging off the stern they come out of the water in big chop especially if you have someone on the foredeck. An IF with an inboard tiny little diesel would be an ideal little cruiser.
When you talk with the guy who has the one over on Kauai, ask about an engine. I don't think he lists one. That means you have the expense of adding a motor mount and buying an outboard.
Am I wrong? Maybe. I've worked on these boats and sailed them extensively. They are great boats but are not everyone's cup of tea.
kind regards,

Principally agree on all that.

I've owned and sailed a GRP Folkboat for years (yes I am swedish) and when going to sea for anything longer than a daysail, I strongly recommend stowing the OB down below. You do not need more than 4 hp to move the boat at 5 knots in a calm.

they came with a OB well, but in Sweden 99,9 % of them have glassed the well, since it didn't work that well. The variety that came with an inboard diesel is another boat, can't race it, but sure is nice for cruising. I would rather have the stowage space under the cockpit though, it's a fairly small cabin

And yes, after moving on to a slightly bigger boat, as DOJ said, I will always remember my IF with a special feeling. remarkable good sailor in all kinds of weather and all points of sail. There is a reason they became so spread over the world.

If I was to go cruising single-handed and didn't have a boat, I would by a ticket to Hawaii . Right away.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03   #89

Ok I think I have finally come to the conclusion that the International Folkboat is my dream boat. And I will be purchasing this magnificent lady mentioned earlier in the posting later this month......yipppeeee.... She is the perfect blend of beauty and ruggidness in my first experience.

Aloha To All
Old 04-12-2010, 09:22   #90
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Ok I think I have finally come to the conclusion that the International Folkboat is my dream boat. And I will be purchasing this magnificent lady mentioned earlier in the posting later this month......yipppeeee.... She is the perfect blend of beauty and ruggidness in my first experience.

Aloha To All
Congrats. nice to have a happy ending

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: