Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 22:59   #61

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
IP didn't make a 28 footer. They did a 26, 27 & 29. You can find a 26 in your price range, but the 27's are usually 30K+ and the 29's over 60K.

In this size, for live-aboard and seaworthiness, a Pacific Seacraft Orion 27 or a Shannon 28 would be nice. But you won't find them under $20K, but closer to double that amount.
Old 26-07-2010, 00:48   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
You guys are funny. Ok here is my synopsis at this point.

Pete7 - is it unreasonable to learn enough to be able to sail to Hawaii from the West Coast? I''l be getting some certificates as well with an ASA certified school in San Francisco.

I havent worn a pair of pants since September 2009
I did a quick check on Google Earth, even a ball park figure puts Honolulu about 4000km or 2500 N.miles from CA, thats a huge distance. I am not sure I could recommend (and I guess most of the forum will be the same) someone buy a yacht on the West Coast of the US, complete a training course and then set off. However, the way around it would be to find a small very seaworthy yacht and charter a delivery skipper to sail with you. Now the the experience gained from that sort of mileage with an experienced skipper to guide you would be invaluable.

Whilst the folkboat might be seaworthy, as DOJ points out its got about 4 foot standing head room. Not sure how long you would last living on that as a permanent home.

What else is there in Honolulu?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 06:52   #63

Pete -

I would take a look at a mid 80's Hunter 285. They can be had in decent shape for $13,000. You most likely will need to update the instruments so allow for another $1,000 if you go with a Clipper depth and knotmeter.

They are built fairly well, not like a bristol, but within your budget. Also, they re fairly fast boats with a PHRF of 180.

Parts are easy to come by, Yanmar engine is reliable, and there were a number of these boats produced.
lake norman 285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 07:19   #64

dofthesea - I think you are better off with a tiller for a number of reasons. They're simpler and less prone to problems ($$$). Wheels are meant to provide mechanical advantage that you do not need to steer a 28-footer.

You are also planning part-time liveaboard. You will need space in the cockpit to hang out, eat, whatever. You can get a tiller out of the way, not so a steering pedestal. Pedestal in the cockpit is like parking a lawnmower in your living room at home - awkward and always in the way.

The liveabord/seaworthy conundrum is a bit stickier. Generally, space below increases with beam, relative to length, and increased freeboard (height from waterline to cabin top). Someone here can surely articulate the issues better than I, but when you increase these two qualities (relative to the size of the boat), you are doing so at the expense of the vessel's stability. Beamy boats with all the glorious space below become remarkably stable, when the are upside down. You can find a boat with acceptable compromises, sure, just be aware of the trade offs.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 22:32   #65

What does everyone think about this boat . Nor'Sea 27 Aft cabin for $29,900 1977 Nor'Sea Aft Cabin Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 22:34   #66

It also seems like my boat choices in Hawaii might seem limited. So the budget might have to be upped to $25,000-30,000
Old 26-07-2010, 23:01   #67

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
What does everyone think about this boat . Nor'Sea 27 Aft cabin for $29,900 1977 Nor'Sea Aft Cabin Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
An excellent choice!

Here's someone living aboard one ....Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness
Old 27-07-2010, 01:06   #68
Ita

Boat: CAL 36
Try CAL 28
I live aboard full time on CAL 29, simple, fast and seaworthy vessels.
Old 27-07-2010, 10:48   #69

Ok I have changed my mind the international Folkboat it looks pretty good and looks like it might need very little to actually enjoy. Less work is sounding more and more like the best option. Could someone please give me the basic details why this is a good boat for sailing in the hawaii area? Is it going to be a good boat to advance to the next level....... what ever that means?
Old 27-07-2010, 11:12   #70
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Truth is, you may not want to move to something else. A folkboat will spoil you.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 11:16   #71

what about its sea wotrhiness
lokas0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 11:16   #72

Holy smokes I didn't click the Folkboat link until just now! GO LOOK AT IT! If you were to pay the asking price, you could likely recover all of it selling off some of the fancy equipment on e-bay, for crying out loud!

This is a fairly light (under 5,000 lb.) boat that will bounce around a little but, but is well designed (safe) and would be a great learner boat. GO LOOK.
Old 27-07-2010, 11:30   #73

Here, read this:

The Folkboat: Little beauty with a big heart-- by John Vigor -- from the Jan-Feb 2000 issue of Good Old Boat
Old 27-07-2010, 11:39   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Ok I have changed my mind the international Folkboat it looks pretty good and looks like it might need very little to actually enjoy. Less work is sounding more and more like the best option. Could someone please give me the basic details why this is a good boat for sailing in the hawaii area? Is it going to be a good boat to advance to the next level....... what ever that means?
Ready to go does have advantages - especially when starting off.

I dunno anything about sailing in the Hawaii area but my guess is that you won't need a pilothouse and 24/7 heat from a wood burning stove ......even if everyday weather is (probably?) not like an episode of Magnum

But the Folkboat will let you learn how to sail - kinda like riding a motorbike - things a lot more basic / immediate than in an RV. And arguably more understandable for that. The price is not so many home comforts. and will be more tiring than a 28 footer from requiring more input and simply being smaller (waves are bigger ).

Will she be perfect for you? I doubt it. But will help you learn what you want - and as long as sound you will not go wrong with her. But she will have less mass market appeal (due to the lack of accomadation) than other (probably less capable sailing / seaworthy) boats, so something to bear in mind for when you later sell, as...........

.........if you buy the Folkboat I can guarantee you will not keep her forever (those home comforts will get you ) but you will always miss her and at least a small part of you will regret selling..........small boat? first boat? new experiances / adventures? a bit of all that. And IMO pretty also goes a long way

In your shoes I would take a serious look.........especially as got trans ocean potential, even if you decide not to (with her).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 14:01   #75

dont know it but if its a brave boat and is joyous when sailing maybe is wet so its comfy to have an expensive heavy weather gear and maybe wouldnt worry about lack of the comfort at the beginning ps do they go with an engine in side maybe u gays can share some experience what u think having to kickan autboard in heavy seas when the wind is taking u in the direction of the land to having an engine instaled inside ??? i think that is also important thing to take under consideration to have an reliable engine and can an autboard work for hours and hours i rather imagine an diesel engine *low rev) doing that no a small noisy autboard that u might have to refill in heavy weather (now way( well if its placed in the locker under the tiller but the folkboat dont have it
ok goodnight
lokas0506 is offline   Reply With Quote