Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 13:26   #46

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
1988 Catalina C27 sailboat for sale in Connecticut
Catalina 27 for 16,000 bargain down to 14,000 and u can sell it for 12,000 in a week anytime after.....good boat to learn on for sure.
Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 13:28   #47

Quote:
However given the condition of the yacht and a large folder of receipts including the original 20 or so invoices from the builder with all the extras, convinced me.
Pete, the "little engine log," if carefully kept, is indicative of meticulous ownership, to repeat myself. That there were folders of receipts to go along with the log is no surprise. It goes hand in hand. Sounds like you done good and I bet you've had no nasty surprises during your ownership. Regular jobs, sure, but no blowups, I'll bet.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 13:30   #48

Quebec, a Catalina 27 in CONNECTICUT? That's nuts. If that's your recommendation, I will not protest , but there's got to be one available on the West Coast, at least?
Old 25-07-2010, 14:28   #49

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Quebec, a Catalina 27 in CONNECTICUT? That's nuts. If that's your recommendation, I will not protest , but there's got to be one available on the West Coast, at least?
It was just an example...I'm sure you can find the same deal on the Left coast
Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 14:30   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Lol, I did try to steer the thread back on track by suggesting an island in the middle of a large ocean.

What ever he chooses is going to have to be local, details in the first post folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
The area I live is Honolulu and only has 28' slips available at this time.

I will also be doing most of my learning on this boat.

Inter island and the the West Coast of CA........Aloha
The "learning" bit would make me believe a Pacific crossing is out of the question.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 14:36   #51

Yeah, but the first post asks for a 28-footer with both "the best liveabord qualities" AND the most seaworthy. Ain't gonno work out, if you ask me.

I love the small boat threads - the MOST fun! (How do I fix the head on my 50-footer is Sooo boring...")
Old 25-07-2010, 14:41   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
I love the small boat threads - the MOST fun! (How do I fix the head on my 50-footer is Sooo boring...")
Oh thats easy, write it in the maintenance log so the chief engineer tasks a junior to go and sort it
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 14:56   #53

Pete, your killing me! Ever notice that folks with small, simple boats don't come in here asking how to unclog the head? Fix the ice maker, get the computer to work or service the $12,000 winches?

I'm a small boat guy (and putting my helmut on ) they're way more fun than huge boats with huge systems, if you ask me!
Old 25-07-2010, 15:10   #54

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
With his budget and sailing experience I don't think the West Coast is even an option. How you gonna get it to Hawaii? That would cost too much out of the limited budget. He's need to just focus on what's available locally. I still like the Folkboat that's available. Good price and lots of NEW upgrades/equipment.

Quote:
I will also be doing most of my learning on this boat. Would like to be able to take short extended trips as experience allows with out having to upgrade in 1 year.
Old 25-07-2010, 15:15   #55

I won't argue with shopping locally and have no idea what's available. Someone might be willing to bring a boat out to HI, but not from Connecticut.....
Old 25-07-2010, 15:33   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Québec 1 View Post
1988 Catalina C27 sailboat for sale in Connecticut
Catalina 27 for 16,000 bargain down to 14,000 and u can sell it for 12,000 in a week anytime after.....good boat to learn on for sure.
Q1
Not sure about that. On Yachtworld alone, there are 43 Catalina 27's for sale in the US under $14,000.
Old 25-07-2010, 15:41   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I still like the Folkboat that's available. Good price and lots of NEW upgrades/equipment.
Looks very nice Just not sure how practical for OP if spending time onboard is an aim - even if adding a cockpit tent..........unless he is 4 foot tall. or has a hunch. or wants one

Ticks the "go anywhere" box (skipper permitting). but IMO not automatically ticks the "would want to" box.

But pretty
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 15:47   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Looks very nice Just not sure how practical for OP if spending time onboard is an aim - even if adding a cockpit tent..........unless he is 4 foot tall. or has a hunch. or wants one

Ticks the "go anywhere" box (skipper permitting). but IMO not automatically ticks the "would want to" box.

But pretty
Hey, its Hawaii! What's he need a cabin for anyway?
Old 25-07-2010, 15:49   #59

DOJ, speak ENGLISH. What the hell are you trying to say?
Old 25-07-2010, 21:21   #60

You guys are funny. Ok here is my synopsis at this point.

Skpr Joohn
thanks for the heads up on the article.

DOJ
I hear you on the not buying too much of a fixer upper. Since I am new to boats I think its a bad idea. Would rather spend a lot more time on the water.

SkprJohn

I will definetely ask the board if the boat might be a good choice. At the very least a starting point. Would be nice if you had experience with a boat that i was interested in. Next time I'm on the bog island ill take you for a beer.

I think someone who keeps a an engine log might at least be very organized and is probably more on top of maintenence and what not.

Captbob

I'll will look at the Island packet 28

Drew i would agree about a wheel. from what i haev read its better to learn with a rudder ..... am i correct?

Pete7
is it unreasonable to learn enough to be able to sail to Hawaii from the West Coast? I''l be getting some certificates as well with an ASA certified school in San Francisco.

Quebec

Although i appreciate the boat suggestion............ Connecticut might be a bit far.

Drew

is there no such thing as the best case scenario for a 28' liveaboard and seaworthy.

I only have to keep the boat for 2-3 years until a 30-36 footer opens up. then i'll be able upgrade

Pete7 I like your logic. its all about delegating.

DOJ

the folkboat looks nice just not for what i would like to use it for.

Doodles.

I havent worn a pair of pants since September 2009
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote