Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38   #1

Where Would you Look?

Hi,

I have been trawling around the internet for sometime now and have found the thoughts and advice from CF to be very helpful and often amusing, thank you.

Here is my plan,

I currently live in the UK on a 25 footer (tomahawk 25), i will be heading to the US in March/April to purchase my next boat.

I am not familiar with the US It will be my first time there, I have chosen the US because it is English speaking and the variety of good cheap old boats is far superior to purchasing a similar vessel here in the UK.

Plus it will be much more of an adventure and warmer.

I wish to buy a full keel boat 27-32 foot, budget of 10000 – 20000 dollars for initial purchase and 5000 dollars for upgrades etc.

My sailing skills are basic (RYA Day Skipper) but I have lived on boats for many years, I plan to start slowly with gentle day sails, build up skills and experience before coastal cruising to Mexico and Central America

I am seeking advice and opinions on good locations to start my boat search AND start my cruising, I am thinking Florida or California

My problem being that the longer I spend looking for a boat the more I spend from my cruising budget, I appreciate it involves luck and ‘right place, right time’ etc but where would you go looking for one of these boats or similar? Where would I increase my chances by viewing the most boats?

cape dory 28 - alberg
Bristol 32 - Ted Hood/Dieter Empacher
sea sprite 28/29 - bill luders
bristol 27 - alberg
downeaster 32 - bob poole
alberg 29/30 - Alberg
pearson vanguard 32/34 - Phillip Rhodes

Also any thoughts on my boat list, things to look for when buying and any other boat recommendations appreciated, I know this has been covered a lot on other threads but I think it is useful for people doing research to have certain findings of in-depth threads re-posted, thanks

In short, if you were to rock up in the USA to buy a boat to sail to mexico/central America where would you start????

Regards

Kieran
kieranf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48   #2

Boat: Toy boat
Re: where would you look?

San Diego/San Francisco...my ten cents.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I’d begin by searching Yachtworld listings.
Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com

Ft Lauderdale, Fla, is a good place from which to base a physical search; and also a good place from which to begin warm-water cruising.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:17   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:18   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Search For New and Used Boats - BoatTrader.com
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Where Would you Look?

California has apppeal, but it also has a higher cost of living than the Southeast US as well as waiting lists for many slips and more restrictive anchorages. Fort Lauderdale has a huge market for boats; however, North Florida costs are often less than South Florida. The US East Coast offers more protected anchorages, inlets and access to short distance islands through the Bahamas and Caribbean while the Pacific Coast, though beautiful, has long distances without easy all weather inlets. Regardless of where you choose, narrowing your boat prospects online will save much travel. Good luck and keep us posted of your adventure!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57   #7

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

I would say Florida as it’s more protected water than California is non protected Pacific Ocean. I would also be looking at bigger capable boats.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:04   #8

cheers people,

I have researched boats on yachtworld, sailboat listings etc etc for over a year. I have good feel for what i will get for my money but until i am on US soil it has limitations. I have to fly somewhere and are seeking opinions to where may be best to find the boats on my list whilst also offering good local cruising grounds.

captForce - thanks this is the sort of information i am seeking.

also information regarding where boats on my list were built and potential hotspots much appreciated.

thanks

kieran
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I would also suggest south Florida which includes Ft Lauderdale, Miami and West Palm Beach all within about 100 Km. Compared to south California it is cheaper to stay, easier to get around and easy cruising for a relatively inexperienced boater.

But also agree you could save yourself a lot of time and money by checking out listings online before coming over.

Good luck

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where Would you Look?

I'd start in Nth Carolina... Oriental and surrounds.. fly into Charleston.. connect for New Bern and make your way from there down river..
1973 34' Seafarer Sailboat
Gutted and built anew 8 years ago. 3 cylinder Yanmar Diesel. All fittings cabinetry plumbing new. Hard dodger built for protection. Price $17,900 or Best offer. Force 10 Stove with oven. Salon seats four. Navigation station. Great boat solid and dry. Located in Oriental NC Call 978-412-5802 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 978-412-5802 FREE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brewer_seafarer.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	71614  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14   #11

thanks rw58ph and skipmac, i will certainly be spending time on the listings prior to flying but i still want to try to pick a state, book a flight and head out. One of the other problems i have is not being able to look at many of these boats in the UK beforehand.

cheers

kieran
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

My concern is that many of the boats you list are going to be quite rare, and are heavier designs. Not that you won't find them in Florida, but they are more likely to be found in the North East where you see more heavy weather than is typical of Florida.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:17   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Based on my shopping experience, most brokers look down on boats priced under $30.

I would add to your list of publications Craigslist, that has listings there are 99% by-owner of smaller boats. But there are some real dogs on that list! Sailboatlistings.com also has many by-owner listings and appears to have better listings.

There is this guy who wants to move up and is selling a nice Tartan 33 for $24....
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20   #14

I like your thinking boatman, not sure about that hard dodger!! basically i have spent so long looking at boats online i am starting to go mad.......i need to see them......wont be long now.......

once again cheers CF
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26   #15

thanks snore, if the tartan is still for sail in the new year i would like to take a look.