Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-12-2013, 10:38   #16

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Where Would you Look?

You could check to see if there are any owners groups for the boats you are interested in and see if there is info on what to look out for and what the likes/dislikes are for their boats. Some boats also get sold through their owner groups.

Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where Would you Look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranf View Post
I like your thinking boatman, not sure about that hard dodger!! basically i have spent so long looking at boats online i am starting to go mad.......i need to see them......wont be long now.......

once again cheers CF
Hey.. no worries mate.. someone in here may fancy it.. so nothing wasted..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:08   #18

indeed stumble,

most of the cape dory's i have seen have been north east, its a bit of a conundrum.....best deal on boat (and time spent looking) Vs preferred cruising waters......

kieran

boatman - thanks for the boat link anyhow......i have just been checking the listings for north/south carolina....some good deals to be had......a great sounding cape dory 28 but no images
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09   #19

yes rhapsody,

many boats on my list have owners groups and good info plus listings......thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

Via a not very scientific method (reading boat ads), I think there's better pricing to be had on the east coast.

As previously mentioned, finding a place to _park_ the boat is a major hassle and $$$ in california. My biggest expense is paying for the hole in the water I put the boat in. And I was lucky with only ~6 month wait for my slip.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I would forget California....
There just are NOT that many boats here that I would call "Cruiser Ready at 2X the sales price". California just doesn't have the cruising oportunities as other areas, so most boats here for sale don't have much cruising gear on them at all. WA would be my West Coast Destination OR I would fly into La Paz or Mazatlan Mexico.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where Would you Look?

If you want info on Mexico.. and boats in the area ZeeHag would be worth contacting... she's on the spot and knows many folk..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15   #23

Mexico is certainly a possibility and my girlfriends preference! An earlier thread discussed the virtues of starting in the sea of Cortez. I spotted a Pearson triton with stacks of gear last week.... Food for thought

K
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'd start in Nth Carolina... Oriental and surrounds.. fly into Charleston.. connect for New Bern and make your way from there down river..
+1 on Oriental and New Bern. IMO, anywhere from Virginia to central FL, but the Carolina's in particular. Good old boats around New Bern always seems to be in abundance.

I was undertaking a very similar boat search a couple years ago and ended up finding mine in New Bern.

A great boat list for your criteria: Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

there is a morgan ,old style , 38ft, here for sale... is a decent boat and was cruised by a lil ol man who left it to someone gonna turn it over for profit...not much dough and papers are current.
good for all water, 6 ft draft, good stove, fully equipped, and ready to again sail.

oh yes and best thing about something like htis is ...NO SALES TAX!!!!!!! just keep it out of usa for a year.

btw--as for not considering that seafarer because of a hard a hard dodger :-----no one wants a dodger until out at sea and wishing they had one.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 13:23   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

I'm on the West Coat and I can tell you, the better deals are on the East Coast. As well, when ever I buy parts or supplies, they mostly come from the East Coast. There's a lot better supply of used parts too. (hurricane sales) So, chose your season.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 20:21   #27

thanks delmarrey, yeah, hurricane season also a consideration........

easy zeehag, i never dismissed the seafarer or dodgers per se.......
Old 06-12-2013, 20:49   #28

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I'm much more into multihulls than monohulls, but do enough reading on them to have opened my mind on the full keel vs. fin keel debate.
Much of what I read from Bob Perry indicates a preference for the fin keel designs, and you might keep them as an option as well.
You might seek him out for an opinion. He's not that hard to find on an online forum or two. He likes Peter Norlin and Gary Mull designs, apart from his own, and although he's done the full-keel, canoe stern, etc... type designs, he's embraced the idea of the fin keel nowadays, it seems.
But, don't let me put words in his mouth. Find and query directly.
Good luck with your search!
If I were you, I'd youth hostel (or Motel 6) through coastal Florida and scope out every sailboat that catches your fancy. You're bound to find something in good shape at a good price.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:32   #29

Boat: Looking...

Consider Annapolis/Chesapeake Bay - the sailing capital of the east coast. Many, many boats for sale, lots of them cheap. Look at the boats for sale at the Chesapeake Maritime Museum. These have been contributed by owners seeking tax deductions. Look at the site often, as new boats come up from time to time. There's a Seidelman 295 for $7,500 you might want to look at....

SEIDELMANN “295”- 1985 fiberglass sailboat-new BETA 13 hp fwc diesel– roller furling-legal head-autopilot-wheel steering-very clean-GPS- MD 5067 AZ $7,500 -

See more at: Give to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum

FYI, the Bristol 32 was before Empacher came on board. He helped design the "decimal" boats like the beloved 35.5c I used to have. Bristols are super boats. Built like tanks but very fast. Nobody designs better centerboard boats. If you can possibly stretch your money to get one, you will not be disappointed. Here's one for $37,900 that has recent work but looks like a fixed keel 5'9" draft.

1982 Bristol 35.5 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The Chesapeake is one of the great cruising grounds of the world, and it has many places and people to help with any work needed. Enjoy it, then head south. You can go all the way to FL via the Intercoastal Waterway and take hops outside as your confidence in boat and crew increases - I did that during my first big trip south.

Remember to bargain hard - some boats have been listed for a long time, and you never know what you can get until you ask.

Fair winds and following seas!
Old 07-12-2013, 14:28   #30

nice one westsail, some great information for me to think over and help with research.

When would the weather offer the best conditions to head south from Chesapeake? And roughly how long would it take to get to florida taking it easy with day sails and some overnight passages?

thanks again everyone

kieran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: