Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:33   #1

Boat: Edel Center cockpit 820
Where to Keep My Sailboat in Florida ?

We are one year away from heading to Florida to purchase a seasonal live aboard sailboat ( probably a 36 ft ) We will live on it from November until April and than store it for the summer
I would love some advice on good Marinas to keep the boat
Looking for friendly staff, half decent neighborhood, security, etc
Not looking for a high end marina but also don't want to be in a dump, (would like to know the real cost to do this from people that are doing it )
Thank you all in advance

Pat Garratt
Georgian Bay
Canada
Georgianbaysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:33   #2

Re: Where to keep my sailboat in Florida?

I am looking at doing this myself in a few years. Where are you thinking of using the boat when you are on it? Are you staying in the Florida area or heading to the Bahama's and beyond? I think this will make a difference as far as access to the Gulf Stream??? I am anxious to hear some replies.
Dakota450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Why does it have to be in Florida? GA is cheaper and hasn't had a hurricane for many many years.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38   #4

I will be heading to the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos eventually ( need more experience first) but will probably just coastal cruise Florida for the first year or two. I would prefer to find a marina closer to Bahamas , south east Florida would be great but i am flexible
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbaysail View Post
I will be heading to the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos eventually ( need more experience first) but will probably just coastal cruise Florida for the first year or two. I would prefer to find a marina closer to Bahamas , south east Florida would be great but i am flexible
Check out City Of Marathon, I understand they have moorings there that are reasonable. Also, look at Craigslist, Florida Keys under boats. USA Boat Slips, and Docksearch.com. Sam
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34   #6

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity

We have kept our boat here for the past 3 years.

Oasis Boatyard and Marina

Nice floating docks for while you are in the water and a yard that allows DIY work. Gated yard for security and a short walk to town.

The further south you go in FL the more $$$ it gets.

Good Luck
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 13:49   #7

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

We're now staying at Harbortown Marina in Merritt Island, near Cape Canaveral. Like it a lot. Quick access to the ICW and offshore and very protected. It's also cheap and there are friendly live aboards here. Downside is it's not close to any town.

We also like Fernandina Beach in the north. Great town with a lot of nice people, shops, etc. Can get a bit cold in January and February, though. Good luck.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:50   #8

I have kept a boat at Green Cove Springs or Gibson Dry Dock for 15 years. Gibson is the best but you have to clear a 45' bridge to get there. Couldn't be a more pleasant place. About $100 per month for dry storage which is about as hurricane proof as you can get. DIY type place St. Augustine close by for dinner etc. Semi fresh water. Never heard a complaint about either place.
jewel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:01   #9

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Marathon does not permit you to 'store' a boat unattended on their mooring. It IS done, but they specifically address it in their mooring contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Check out City Of Marathon, I understand they have moorings there that are reasonable. Also, look at Craigslist, Florida Keys under boats. USA Boat Slips, and Docksearch.com. Sam
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:20   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Rent a residential dock on a canal in Fort Lauderdale.
It will cost you around $10.00 per foot per month.
Many of these canals are considered hurricane holes.
(See this article on the area: )Up a Not So Lazy River - Fort Lauderdale's Fabulous New River: Cruising

If anybody needs a dock in Fort Lauderdale, either short or long term, contact me on bigdagus () yahoo.com or P.M.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:24   #11

Boat: C&C Redwing 30

Hi Pat,
Got a kick to see you on here . I'm thinking the same thing for next year ( possibly) We are chartering a boat in the Keys in March so we might learn something then. We should compare notes once we've figured it out
Cheers
Jeff
chantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25   #12

Hey Jeff it's a small world I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how you liked sailing ( I guess your into it) once your hooked on it there is no going back.
let me know how you make out , Brian and Sue are heading down to Florida at the end of this month so he's going to do some scouting for me
Have a good trip

Pat
Old 03-02-2012, 08:23   #13

Boat: 47 Bill Garden Pilothouse
CSY Man could be a good resource for dock space in Fort Lauderdale. We have spent lots of time in Florida, Ft Lauderdale included. It is a great place for anything and everything boat related. Sailorman is a huge second hand marine store one or two blocks away front the new (& huge) West Marine which is one or two blocks away from Boat Owners Warehouse which is one or two blocks away from endless other marine related stores. It truly is a yachties Mecca. Another advantage is it's obvious proximity to the Bahamas. The canals and river systems are beautiful and can be inexpensive, plus there are work yards all along it where you can haul out if necessary. We have never stored a boat there out of the water so I cannot offer any info regarding such.

We have always stored the boat in a tiny town called Indian Town at Indian Town Marina. The storages fees for our 35' racer/cruiser as of last year were $270 monthly. Stuart, Florida is the nearest town with two West Marines and most anything else you would need but it is a 20 min drive into town. The advantages here are many. The marina itself is isolated, safe, small and quaint. Located along the Okeechobee water way, accessible from the ICW, and situated well inland make it a more suitable "hurricane hole" than Fort Lauderdale. It has one of the few remaining do it yourself work yards with a very capable staff onsite. We really loved being in this marina for its unique atmosphere and small town feel. Compared with fast Ft Lauderdale the pace and demeanor are slow and friendly.

We have since sold the 35' and are now cruising MX with a different boat. which brings me to my last tip. Joe Hamilton is a broker whose office is located on the Indian Town Marina property which is, I forgot to mention, HUGE. The storage yard is twice the size of the marina and usually has a couple boats for sale. He helped us with the sale of the 35' and has gone above and beyond for us on a number of occasions. His contact info can be found at advantageyacht.com

Good luck! You will enjoy Florida, we certainly did.
RapidTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:11   #14

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Marathon does not permit you to 'store' a boat unattended on their mooring. It IS done, but they specifically address it in their mooring contract.
I wasn't suggesting that they leave there boat unattended. Sam
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35   #15

Harbortown on Merritt Isl was great. Friendly, great inexpensive food in the restaurant bar. Swiming pool. Lot's of supplies and services nearby, and secure. You cant work on your own boat if stored out of the water though. Very hurricane secure too. Oh, and if my red schwinn is still in the bike rack you're welcome to it!
Or if you want to be in the thick of things, check out behind condos and houses in Ft Lauderdale in the Las Olas area.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida