Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 11:37   #31

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Where do I start?

Just get the boat and go use it as much as possible. Have fun. As problems come up, learn by doing. Take whatever courses interest you, but emphasize time on the water, not in the classroom.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 11:46   #32

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
12V DC is simple compared with the complex cars and other things now days.
I would start by going through your boat stem to stern and understanding everything, what it does and where it is.
Check hoses, clamps and seacocks to make sure they turn etc.
You will find things that aren't right or don't work. That's where you start!
Get a copy of Nigel Calder's book: Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual.
Before taking off have the fuel in your tank "polished" (filtered) You'll be glad you did.
Absolutely agree with Cheechako on Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. Before you start ANY project, read the applicable section from Nigel Calder's book. His explanations and descriptions of the way to do things correctly are priceless.

You don't need to know it all, you just need to know how to get answers from the people who do.

Best of luck!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 12:16   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't own any maintenance books. Everything is online and easy to find.
Old 26-06-2019, 12:36   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

Let me repeat what another has said, Nigel Calder “Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Handbook”. I keep the updated hard copy on my boat.
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 13:11   #35

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
yes-thats the overwhelming part! So many technical threads and technical manuals to read! Then when we start reading --we run into other words and processes that we have to look up...so then we get " OMG WE KNOW NOTHING!!! but we are pretty committed to this path...so having direction is good. Good advice here, thanks!

Google is my friend. / Len
Old 26-06-2019, 13:29   #36

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
yes-thats the overwhelming part! So many technical threads and technical manuals to read! Then when we start reading --we run into other words and processes that we have to look up...so then we get " OMG WE KNOW NOTHING!!! but we are pretty committed to this path...so having direction is good. Good advice here, thanks!
I think you have “ gone in your head” over this. Relax, learn as you go. Read. Boats are not all that complicated. Supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not an ordeal.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 13:43   #37

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
HI!

Is this your boat:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

Its right here in my hometown!

I bought old boats when I was younger, and had no clue what I was doing. You don't need to be an expert to buy a boat. You become an expert by owning a boat. The hard part is....to try! Given that you have time to do some problem solving when things come up (and they will), and you have a modicum of common sense, combined with 10 working fingers (each), then you are in great shape and should not hesitate to buy your C&C landfall.

For example....reading about diesel engines on these pages, one would think that you need to be a diesel machanic at the very least, and that these engines are constantly breaking down. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've owned a yanmar 2gm, 3gm, and volvo penta 2002. All of them ran perfectly on the day I bought them, and perfectly on the day I sold them, each after several years of faithful use. I changed the oil and filters, and didn't run at WOT. Started every time. Diesel engines are actually very reliable and long lasting. You only read about the problems.

If you can find a boat you like that gets a good survey, get the best price you can and dive in. First thing to do is take EVERYTHING OFF THE BOAT and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. This will teach you a lot about your boat. Then put back just what you need onto the boat. I swear, 90% of sailing is just knowing where to find everything! I think you are very smart people...it comes across in your post...now is your chance to use those smarts to own a boat and have a great time. And if you get stuck...well...CF will be here to answer your questions.

Best of luck to you!!!!
Thats our boat!!!!!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 13:50   #38

Quote:

All I had when we boughtour BIG boat in 1998 was a decade with smaller sailboats (C22 for 5 years and a C25 for 13). I really knew how to sail but no systems info.

We bought the boat and then went to Europe for a month (the trip wqas planned but the purchase just crept up on us - we'd been looking for a year and finally...).

I bought Nigel Calder's Boatowners Manual for Mechanical and Electrical Systems.

Best investment ever.

If you don't know what a thingmabob is, he explains it, and then how to fix it.

The West Marine Advisors are helpful, but nothing like THAT book.

I knew nothing about diesel engines, electrical systems, plumbing systems, etc.

I learned.

You can, and will, too.

Anything else more specific, the internet is always your friend.

Good luck, have a great trip.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 14:19   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi Lauralee,

After you take possession of the boat, go play with it. Soon enough something will come to your attention, and you'll do what you need to do to fix it. Honestly, gamayun's suggestion to start with an oil change to pamper your engine, and know when to start counting hours from is a good idea. One of our first changes to our "new" (used) boat was to install an engine hours meter. We keep our records on paper, not on the computer. If the engine ever breaks down, that's when to download a workshop manual for it, and I'd make hard copy for the exploded drawings and parts numbers lists, unless you would simply replace the engine. There are threads here about how to tell when it is time, mainly revolving around parts availability.

Somebody wrote to take baby steps. Yes, but it is important to enjoy the boat and learn what you want to change. Some say not to change anything for the first year, except fix what breaks, if anything does.

Sift through the advice you get here and pick what fits best for you. This could be the beginning of a lengthy adventure....

Fair winds,

Ann

And, keep the water on the outside.
Old 26-06-2019, 15:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi Lauralee,

After you take possession of the boat, go play with it. >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If the engine ever breaks down, that's when to download a workshop manual for it, and I'd make hard copy for the exploded drawings and parts numbers lists, unless you would simply replace the engine. There are threads here about how to tell when it is time, mainly revolving around parts availability.

Somebody wrote to take baby steps. Yes, but it is important to enjoy the boat and learn what you want to change. Some say not to change anything for the first year, except fix what breaks, if anything does.

Sift through the advice you get here and pick what fits best for you. This could be the beginning of a lengthy adventure....

Fair winds,

Ann

And, keep the water on the outside.

Good advice about the first year. Don't change anything. Too often people make lists of things to change first instead of learning how to fix things. Plus, it turns out from repeated posts over decades that the first list of changes made by new owners turns out to not be (mostly) needed at all. It's not that you were wrong, it's because things were that way for a purpose.

I forgot to mention earlier about diesel engines: if you're going to spend any time and money in a diesel class, remember this: the ONLY diesel engine you should care about is the ONE in your boat. Period. I have a Universal (Kubota). Taking a Yanmar class would be a total waste, because you can learn all about HOW diesels work from a book or the internet. What YOU are trying to learn is how to fix YOUR engine, not your dock neighbors'!!!

Good luck, lovely boat, safe journeys.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 16:02   #41

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Not sure where you are on the lakes , but if anywhere near Toronto go to the boat show in January and attend some seminars .. the best ones aren't free, but really not expensive either. Nigel's book is great, and he used to do seminars too, but last year was the last time in Toronto he said then.
But ere is a lot of good info there- just pick the ones you need! Even the free ones have good info.
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 17:56   #42

Boat: Ericson 35-2

you HAVE bought the boat..?
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 18:04   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortype View Post
you HAVE bought the boat..?
Not yet! Working on it....depends on survey.
Old 26-06-2019, 18:06   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsumurun View Post
Not sure where you are on the lakes , but if anywhere near Toronto go to the boat show in January and attend some seminars .. the best ones aren't free, but really not expensive either. Nigel's book is great, and he used to do seminars too, but last year was the last time in Toronto he said then.
But ere is a lot of good info there- just pick the ones you need! Even the free ones have good info.
Yep...plan too, and the port credit in water boat show end of August.
Old 26-06-2019, 18:14   #45

Boat: Ericson 35-2

you DO need a boat before making real plans
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote