Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 16:50   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Where (and if) to mount a trumpet horn?

Hello,

My cruising plans will hopefully be taking me and my new boat to Nova Scotia and Maine this summer. I have learned from past experiences how helpless you can feel trying to squeeze every last decibel out of a canned air horn in a thick fog. Since my new boat is well prepared in most other senses, I think an auditory upgrade is in order and I'm thinking it's worth getting a super loud compressor double trumpet horn.

It will be a bit unsightly and a snag risk but I can live with that. I could mount it on top of my pilothouse or on the side of a dorade box without too much interference. But my real concern is having to drill a hole in my deck or pilothouse to run the wire, which is pretty much a deal breaker for me. If I ran the wire forward from the cockpit I wouldn't have to drill a hole but then the wire itself would be in the way.

Has anyone mounted one of these horns? Where did you put it? Has it been worth it? Any way to put it on top of the bimini, perhaps? Or any other creative solutions?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 17:28   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Where (and if) to mount a trumpet horn?

OC,
Wouldn't it be less expensive to buy several air canister refills($9-$12) and throw them away when finished rather than spending $150. or more for an air horn(plus labor) and worrying about drilling in your deck or having exposed wires? K.I.S.S! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 05-12-2016, 19:04   #3

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter

Why an air horn? It is cool but not practical. I suggest an electric powered horn with a Fogmate controller. It is loud enough.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 21:11   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Would the automotive version work for you? Such as something from JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/t...100001&Npp=200

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:49   #5

What about a loudhailer/PA on the mast or spreaders? I'm planning on adding a Sirmrad RS35 VHF/AIS unit and if I added the Simrad LHS80 speaker (or something similar) that would satisfy my needs without having to add a compressor. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Yes I can get by with handheld horns but as I said they just don't feel like they are up to the job in a thick or long-term fog.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:38   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_voyager View Post
Why an air horn? It is cool but not practical. I suggest an electric powered horn with a Fogmate controller. It is loud enough.
I just replaced a "top of the line" electric trumpet horn with an air horn and small compressor. Why? After many times having to remove the electric horn and clean and adjust the contacts, I decided that a horn on a boat is pretty useless if you cannot count on it to work when you push the button.

A horn is a safety device. Not a place to go cheap. And the electric horns don't seem to stand up to the marine environment.

To the OP, a boat isn't considered really "yours" until you've drilled a couple holes in it. Mount the horn where it can be heard, where it is protected from rain and sea spray and where you can most easily run the wires, air hose, etc.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:28   #7

This one will get some attention
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t3a_chrome_0.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	137561  
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd do it on the spreader, and unless I'm mistaken, your running an air hose to the horn, not wires, small point except the hose may require a larger hole.
That or temporarily mount it on the Bimini or something so your not drilling holes?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:53   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
What about a loudhailer/PA on the mast or spreaders? I'm planning on adding a Sirmrad RS35 VHF/AIS unit and if I added the Simrad LHS80 speaker (or something similar) that would satisfy my needs without having to add a compressor. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Yes I can get by with handheld horns but as I said they just don't feel like they are up to the job in a thick or long-term fog.
I have this exact setup, except with a slightly different horn. Be careful testing it in a marina, it is LOUD

I have it mounted under my radar dome on my mast - going down the west coast of Vancouver island it got a LOT of use. You can set it to blow every two minutes automatically, which means you have one less thing to remember.

The one bad thing is that you can't use the radio at same time, but I just use my backup handheld while the foghorn is going.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:58   #10

If a mast mounted loudhailer (PA) is "loud enough" as a foghorn, then I think that's my best option. I need to run new radar wire anyway so hopefully I can wire that up at the same time. I can always keep the canned air handy to supplement.

Otherwise I have to weigh the advantages of a horn on the pilothouse roof (drilling a hole) or a temporary bracket on the bimini (no hole).
Old 06-12-2016, 09:03   #11

Boat: Columbia 36

I once saw a horn mounted inside a Dorade box. The only give away was a round hole covered by a screen on the forward face of the box. The horn was completely hidden and worked very well. The wire was run in alongside the vent opening and under the headliner, also hidden. Better place is up on the spreaders though.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

pa on spreaders is good. out of way, not exactly in anyone's ears, and functional.
is how this boat was set up
pa is more useful in usa than anywhere else. here, it is only useful for wishing folks happy holidays. or maybe arranging a barter for shrimps with a large camaronero...
i removed mine.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:18   #13

Boat: Hunter 30

Why not mount it on a piece of starboard that would fit inside a tupperware type box. Put a 12v plug on it and just haul it out when it's foggy. Store it out of the weather when not in use. I hate making holes when it is for something used irregularly.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:23   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Having a spare canned air horn is reasonable. If you really think your canned air horn is not loud enough, replace it or see your doc for earwax removal. Alternatively mount a cannon on the bow.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:29   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

If he's going to NS he absolutely needs a mounted horn that can sound automatically every two minutes. Trying to do that with a hand air horn isn't going to work - I used mine for 10 hours consecutively last summer in a particularly bad patch of fog.

Tags
rum