Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 16:03   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 371
Re: When to remove all canvases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Saying it only takes and hour depends on the boat. Vinyl windows can very easily be scratched in the process.

How much wind do you see in summer thunderstorms and winter storms? 40 knots is nothing special. 60 knots should be nothing special or you won't be able to sail in squally weather.

I'm not saying that if severe conditions are possible special measures are not prudent, but EVERY boat should be prepared for 40-60 knots and tied up for this every time you leave it. True? The only difference with tropical systems is that the tide can be higher than other storm types, and harbors subject to surge (pulsing wave action) will be troublesome.

150 knots is all together different, with over 6 times the force of 60 knots and 14 times the force of 40 knots. More if waves are considered. Any direct comparison is peas to pumpkins.
In the UK we sailed every week and at the end of each the sail was removed and all the sails from the boat (25') and stowed below.
In Greece we lifted the boats at the end of the season (November) washed and dried the sails. Put them into dry storage.A bit of work but better than returning to sails looking like Tibetan prayer flags!

Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 16:11   #17

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

In the marina we are at, many took down all canvas, but I noticed many Cats did not; they were just wrapped to the boom. A friend of ours with a Cat said their insurance company REQUIRED them to take down the mainsail, otherwise they would not be covered. Just food for thought.

CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 16:21   #18

Boat: lagoon 380 s2

On my cat, taking off the main is a 2 person job taking an hour. With full length battens it probably weighs 100 plus and can't be handled by one person. Plus the way it is secured to the cars needs tools. I would probably wrap tightly after putting in sail bag on boom if in a rush. Very different from say an in mast main on even a 45 foot boat. I have put these inside myself in 10 minutes.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:29   #19

Boat: Beneteau 343

For Irma, I moved 100 miles west away from storm and outside of tropical storm warning area which included my home marina. The forecast was for 35 - 40 mph winds sustained, which means higher for gusts. Knowing that I was going to get a solid 36 hours of 25+ wind with several hours of wind into the mid 30s with gusts into the high 40s, I removed my bimini and dodger canvas. I know that 40 mph in a t-storm is survivable but if I know that I am going to get near 40 mph wind for many hours and I have the chance to take down canvas, I will; perhaps not as much for survivability as for preservation. Mine comes down fast; putting it back takes maybe an hour by myself, half with a helper.

FYI I didn't take down my genoa since it would have been a serious chore in 25 mph wind given my angle in slip. Instead I made sure it was tightly furled (small in diameter) with many wraps of the jib sheets and a line wrapped many times around for extra security.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:42   #20

Boat: Sabre 34

Well, I followed some of the advice, but didn't remove any sails. Wrapped them well around with extra lines. Added multiple extra dock lines and called it a day. Bota survived 40knot winds with gusts of 50+ no problem.

Some of the boats in the marina were not so lucky. The whole dock with house boats collapsed sending house barges into each other. Was an eye opening sight top see a sunken house boat, and many others badly damaged.

This was on a lake far from the coast. Hate to think what it was like for some of the folks close to the hurricane.

Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas