Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 12:07   #1

Boat: Oyster 45
When Do You Reef ?

I am a lazy sailor.

I don't like all this running around and pulling of lines unless I have to.

One of the reasons we chose our boat (Oyster 45) is because she will take gusts and up to about 25 knts of wind (close hauled) before I really need to reef.

I have been on boats that when someone sneezes the skipper is thinking of putting reefs in.

I know we are all different but what boat do you have and what would be the wind speed before you would put a reef in?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: When do you reef?

There is no sin in reefing early. When reefing I take both wind and sea conditions into account.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

I usually reef when the winds exceed 20 kts or if the winds are greater than 15 kts near dark. The last thing I want to do is start reefing sails when the wind pipes up in the dark.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 13:08   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I reef when I get nervous! Sometines this comes and goes every 15 minutes and I may have reefed and taken it back out 4 times in an hour.

I don't currently have a wind instrument so if the boat starts hiting 7 knots or the rudder starts being 10 degrees that reef is going it.

And these are pretty coservative as I find that at either of those the reef doesn't slow me down, just makes us sit up and we are happier.
Old 02-10-2011, 13:13   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

15 to 20 kts. I'll usually drop the main and do hull speed under jib and jtgger.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 13:32   #6

Boat: Cooper 416

EARLY
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 13:34   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
I usually reef when the winds exceed 20 kts or if the winds are greater than 15 kts near dark. The last thing I want to do is start reefing sails when the wind pipes up in the dark.
Same here. Especially on a multihull. I now sail 'by the numbers' as one of the few rigidly self enforced rules. Reefing after I'm scared is not my preference.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 14:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

As a part of my job, I am sailing with different boats, both mono and multis. To me , it's senseless to say "you have to reef at this wind speed, or this". Every boat behaves differently. For monos, most of the cruising boats have 130-135% genoa, rather short and light keels and tend to heel excessively as the apparent wind reaches around 20 kts. Not only the ride becomes uncomfortable, because of the heel angle, half of the rudder came out of water and you start loosing the control of the boat. I start by furling the genoa and ease a bit the main traveller. Next step is to reef the main; this goes on until you can fully control the boat. Typically fo a cruising mono, up to 30-32 kts, half furled genoa + 1 reef on the main is OK.
For a catamaran, again for a heavy charter boats with conservative sail area, you can usually go up to 22-25 kts apparent easily. The cats have a genoa much smaller than the main, so I start with a main. If a second reef is needed on the main, then, I start furling the genoa as well. This is around 30 kts.
All this, is of course subject to change according to sea state, the crew on board, visibility, etc..
I assume everyone with some experience, knows more or less how their boats behaves in rough conditions. So, if you feel comfortable with yr Oyster up to 25 kts, you don't reef.. For less experienced people or someone on the boat that he/she doesn't know well, I'd put the reef even at 15-17 kts.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 14:34   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

On my mono I would reef when the boat was consistantly staying above 15* in her heel. On my cat it is a matter of intuition from learning to read the water on my mono, and the feel of the boat......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:24   #10

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Reef early reef often, I have never had a knockdown using this philosophy.
You might have a heavy stiff boat and think waiting until over 25 is ok, but the strain on your standing rigging and wear and tear is never worth the attitude. If I were looked at a boat and someone said oh, so and so never reefs early I would want compensation to replace the standing rigging in the deal.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:36   #11

Boat: Jeanneua 36

a easy remedy......buy a stingk boat,no more reeftng just rolling
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:53   #12

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We put a reef in when I am on watch. We lose a little speed, but I feel more comfortable if conditions change suddenly. My husband seems to get better rest. It is all about what is comfortable for u.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 16:19   #13

Re: When Do You Reef ?

Not reefing until you have to is hard work, harder than you need. It's also much more dangerous for you and for your crew and for your boat than reefing early. As many of the above note, the right conditions for reefing vary from boat to boat. And one other point of note: many, perhaps most, boats sail faster, are easier to steer and are much more comfortable for all with a reef in in a blow than with too much sail up.
LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 16:44   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

when we have +20 degrees of heel or +8 degrees of rudder angle.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 16:53   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i reef jib when it smells right. i reef mizzen at dock prior to leaving and i leave main down unless i have really ballsy crew with muscles. there is no reason to try to kill boat....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote