Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 17:09   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
What's your take on this Vega?

Hey!

Well I saw this half decent looking Vega on Yachtworld and was wondering if any more experienced eyes would give me their opinion on it.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977.../United-States

It looks like a decent boat with lots of extra sails and equipment.

I can't see anything wrong with it. The engine looks to be original and very low hours if that is the case. I can't see the model number on it due to picture quality, can anyone tell me exactly what it is? I'd like to do some research on it before I go. I notice some rust spots on it and the nuts don't seem to have been touched for the most part which really doesn't make me feel confident but perhaps I am missing something...what's your take on it? If you have negative comments, don't be shy I'd rather be offended than trying to repair an engine while hove to

Thanks
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 17:45   #2

Boat: 83 Tanzer 27
Re: What's your take on this Vega?

Check out the specs tab on the ad. It gives model and other info

Ken
Our Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 18:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Tyme View Post
Check out the specs tab on the ad. It gives model and other info

Ken
Ah okay, thank you
Old 02-02-2017, 18:40   #4

So I noticed water stains on the wood in the v berth just fore of the hanging locker on the starboard side as well as the piece directly in line with the bow looks to have been replaced after water damage and a smaller stain to port, should I be concerned about that? Seems like odd damage. Why would those pieces be soaked and the door to the head be in good shape? And what is that screwdriver doing in there? Haha.
Old 02-02-2017, 19:09   #5

Ohh I get it now...roughly 50 photos including several of the head but the place where the water damaged wood is? not much. Not a single picture of the hanging locker? Hmmm
Old 02-02-2017, 19:35   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Hey!

Well I saw this half decent looking Vega on Yachtworld and was wondering if any more experienced eyes would give me their opinion on it.

1977 Albin Vega 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It looks like a decent boat with lots of extra sails and equipment.

I can't see anything wrong with it. The engine looks to be original and very low hours if that is the case. I can't see the model number on it due to picture quality, can anyone tell me exactly what it is? I'd like to do some research on it before I go. I notice some rust spots on it and the nuts don't seem to have been touched for the most part which really doesn't make me feel confident but perhaps I am missing something...what's your take on it? If you have negative comments, don't be shy I'd rather be offended than trying to repair an engine while hove to

Thanks
Without seeing the hour meter run it's hard to tell if that's 2392.1 hours or 239.2 hours. Big difference.
The boat has 3 big pluses for cruising:
1] Small Furuno Radar
2] Wind vane
3] Small manual windlass.

If these 3 and the engine work fine and the rest of the boat is decent then you will be getting something close to cruise ready at a pretty good price.

If the engine is not so good then you will need to decide how to repower and get some sort of price reduction for that. The 2 options I see for that are:
1] Outboard. Make a well in the lazarette. Keeps the weight inboard, less likely to ventilate than on an outboard bracket on the stern. Won't interfere with the windvane.
2] Faryman 18w (7hp 1 cyl diesel). Probably significantly lighter than the Volvo. Farymann Diesel :: North America

Sail selection looks appropriate too.

Needs more anchors to cruise.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 19:41   #7

Boat: Formosa 41

I own Alvin Vega #2141. It is a 1973. This Vega here is 1561. I don't know the year but it's not a 1977.

After my boat at #2141 Albin changed the design. One of the changes is that the cockpit combings were flat on top. (Nicer to sit on!)

I believe there are three versions of the Albin Vega. Mine, at 2141 is one of the last ones built of the second version.

There is a Vega users group. I used to be a member. I believe it's Yahoo. Find the users group and find a guy named Steve Birch. His Vega is named Southern Comfort. He could tell you a lot about the history of the Vegas.

My opinion: Not a bad boat for the price with a rebuilt engine. If you want it, offer far less.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 19:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I own Alvin Vega #2141. It is a 1973. This Vega here is 1561. I don't know the year but it's not a 1977.

After my boat at #2141 Albin changed the design. One of the changes is that the cockpit combings were flat on top. (Nicer to sit on!)

I believe there are three versions of the Albin Vega. Mine, at 2141 is one of the last ones built of the second version.

There is a Vega users group. I used to be a member. I believe it's Yahoo. Find the users group and find a guy named Steve Birch. His Vega is named Southern Comfort. He could tell you a lot about the history of the Vegas.

My opinion: Not a bad boat for the price with a rebuilt engine. If you want it, offer far less.
Yes it seems like a good deal but what about the water stains in the v berth and the absence of photos inside the hanging locker? Big red flag. I will email and ask for photos of that are tomorrow but it seems pretty clear to me they are trying to hide something and it's more than 2000miles away from me soooo...
Old 02-02-2017, 20:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Without seeing the hour meter run it's hard to tell if that's 2392.1 hours or 239.2 hours. Big difference.
The boat has 3 big pluses for cruising:
1] Small Furuno Radar
2] Wind vane
3] Small manual windlass.

If these 3 and the engine work fine and the rest of the boat is decent then you will be getting something close to cruise ready at a pretty good price.

If the engine is not so good then you will need to decide how to repower and get some sort of price reduction for that. The 2 options I see for that are:
1] Outboard. Make a well in the lazarette. Keeps the weight inboard, less likely to ventilate than on an outboard bracket on the stern. Won't interfere with the windvane.
2] Faryman 18w (7hp 1 cyl diesel). Probably significantly lighter than the Volvo. Farymann Diesel :: North America

Sail selection looks appropriate too.

Needs more anchors to cruise.
Yes, well the ad says it was recently rebuilt so I would hope the quoted figure of 239 hrs is correct. I can see a broker not pointing out the flaws but a baldfaced lie would probably be a bit much...or is that normal?

I wouldn't cast off without a nice fat Rocna or plough anchor but my real concern is the apparent water damage in the v berth and ostensibly the broker's attempt to cover it up. Hope they will send pics from inside the locker tomorrow. It's a LONG way back to Canada for a leaky boat.
Old 02-02-2017, 22:41   #10

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

I don't see any mystery really. The broker states the engine hours are actual, since the rebuild. So that's it. The bigger question would be what was rebuilt? Next, the small amount of water staining in a 40 year old boat? Well, sure it could be something significant, but it's almost certainly some ancient leak that happened with the anchor locker or who knows, a hatch left open... didn't look like much. The boat seems pretty well organized and well kept, seems like something worth looking at. There are one or more YouTube videos of this same model doing some serious cruising and they have a long reputation for offshore, although this one has puny tanks for fuel and water, something to consider.

Hope it works out for you but for a cheap boat it looks good on a small screen in Alaska!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 00:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
I don't see any mystery really. The broker states the engine hours are actual, since the rebuild. So that's it. The bigger question would be what was rebuilt? Next, the small amount of water staining in a 40 year old boat? Well, sure it could be something significant, but it's almost certainly some ancient leak that happened with the anchor locker or who knows, a hatch left open... didn't look like much. The boat seems pretty well organized and well kept, seems like something worth looking at. There are one or more YouTube videos of this same model doing some serious cruising and they have a long reputation for offshore, although this one has puny tanks for fuel and water, something to consider.

Hope it works out for you but for a cheap boat it looks good on a small screen in Alaska!
Thank you for your opinion, I will contact the broker to inquire further
Old 03-02-2017, 06:39   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Southern Comfort is owned by Steve Birch and ...”
Southern Comfort V1703 | VAGB - The Vega Association of Great Britain

American Vega Association
Albin Vega - The American Vega Association Home

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:54   #13

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
He could tell you a lot about the history of the Vegas.
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:50   #14

I doubt there are very many 40 year old boats that have not had some leaks and water damage over the years. If that is the size boat that you want to go cruising on, then you should look hard at it. You will not find many small boats that are as well equipped as this one and the Vegas have a good reputation. I would not worry about Broker integrity, because there probably isnt any, so the important part will be finding a good surveyor (not the one the broker recommends) and decide if you want to spend the airline fare to be at the survey, or have it surveyed and then decide about flying down to inspect. One thing to find out is if it has the variable pitch prop that some of those boats came with. They work wonderfully but I understand that parts are almost impossible to locate. The Old Green Demon (Volvo) is also hard to find parts for, but are very reliable if well kept. The cost of transplanting a new engine could equal the asking price of the boat. Many years ago I bought a small boat and did 2 years full time in Mexico, Marquesas , Tahiti and Hawaii. I have had several cruising boats since, but none have given me as much FUN FOR THE DOLLAR as the well equipped 26 foot boat that I bought for what in this age would be about the same money. Question, How are you going to get it back to Canada? Best of Luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:51   #15

It would be good to know how they define "rebuilt". Some people/sellers stretch the term. Are we talking new main bearings, rings, complete valve overhaul, injectors, fuel pumps, water pumps, etc., or just a new head gasket and a paint job?

I'd want to see receipts or at least be able to talk to the people that did the rebuild. It's not enough to say it has new main bearings. Unless they can prove it, who knows? I would make no assumptions.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote