Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-04-2011, 09:59   #1

What's Your Favorite Used 'Bluewater' Boat ?

I am boat shopping. Been saving my pennies. I am looking for a cheap used sailboat, apx 27' that can eventually be sailed bluewater. Im not afraid of brightwork to save money but I don't want something so cheap that you would be afraid to float it in the neighbors swimming pool. There are two 27' Catalinas I've been looking at, but not many people recommend it for deepwater.
So you sailors out there who are lucky enough to have already owned one of every model of sailboat made, what would you look for? Any boats stick out in your mind. What should I keep my eyes out for.

Old 24-04-2011, 10:22   #2

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Pearson Triton

My favorite is the Pearson Triton, a 28 foot Carl Alberg designed full keel fractional rig sloop. James Baldwin made two circumnavigations aboard Atom, his Triton. You can find them pretty cheap, but will need some work and money to prepare them for offshore work. I purchased mine in 1999 for $500.00 and spent a year and a half and about 7,000 on a total refit (which included removing the inboard and hanging a 9 horse outboard on the transom). I sailed her for nine years on the Chesapeake, then hauled her out for some additional work in preparation for a circumnavigation that I'm setting out on in June of 2012.

There are several boats in the 26 to 30 foot range that are capable of crossing oceans. Good luck with your search!

1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 17:34   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Whats your fav used "bluewater" boat

Look for a Cape Dory 25D if you are on a limited budget.
Old 24-04-2011, 17:41   #4

Boat: Gibson 50'

There are several boats that come to mind.

Columbia 8.3 and the 8.7. Some Pearsons and Cape Dory all fit that bill.
Old 24-04-2011, 17:48   #5
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Whats your fav used "bluewater" boat

Somewhere on here was a thread on a Helford Cutter for sale in Beaufort NC.... under 5k if I remember rightly....
Thats a boat well worth checking out....
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 17:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

cape dory 33,fantastic little big boat,strong fast well built,deliverd one from hawaii to oz last year averaged 5.5 knots over 4500 miles
Old 24-04-2011, 17:58   #7

Boat: Westsail 32

Check out sailfar.net and atomvoyages.com. These websites are deticated to small cruising boats. I personally chose the Alberg 30. I will sail her for a few years here in the Ches and then upgrade as I see fit. My wife and I plan to sail to the Med in 5yrs. I have seen 1 outfitted and read about a number of Pearson Tritions that travel anywhere you want to take em. Good Luck in your search
Old 24-04-2011, 18:09   #8

Boat: Vagabond 42

My pick is/was an Albin Vega. I was sorely torn between it and a Bristol 27 (cruiser version - look for the ice box access in the cockpit). The Bristol is probably still for sail - might need more than bright work though. I also like the pesarson Ariel - but check well for soggy deck cores in Pearsons.
Old 24-04-2011, 19:30   #9

Boat: Tartan 30

Tartan 30's have a crossed a few oceans, but you won't find any blogs or websites about those folks (I've looked). I know of one that has been to Bermuda at least twice as well as extensive east coast and caribbean cruising. And I hear rumors of one that did a circumnavigation a few years ago. There is also a guy planning a 2012 SHTP in a T30C. You can get a pretty decent one for around $10k The higher the price the better the condition...

When I was shopping, the Alberg 30 was my first preference, but I couldn't find any in my price range in decent condition.

I really liked the Tritons, but I think I'd prefer a Vega for the interior layout and the masthead rig, and a few other personal preference things...

I'm happy with my T30 in terms of condition and integrity, I won't hesitate to take it offshore once I put some new rigging on it (it's 30+ years old!). But I still daydream about the cockpit lockers and under-berth storage space in those Albergs

If I could just pick a favorite 27' bluewater cruiser, I'd probably say Nor'sea
Old 25-04-2011, 06:23   #10

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Whats your fav used "bluewater" boat?

Yes, but Norseas, Shannon 28's, PSC Orions and of course the Morse BCC's start to get pricey.

I recommend that the original poster buy John Vigor's book on small sailboats that can take you anywhere.
Old 25-04-2011, 06:39   #11
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Whats your fav used "bluewater" boat?

Found that thread for you.... heres the first post...
Helford Cutter
For sale:

Classic English Helford Cutter designed by Thomas Harrison Butler. Priced to sell at $4600.00 with all serious offers considered. Located in Beaufort, NC.

Needs cleanup and repairs, has new items including sails and cushions. Is complete and should be a low-cost restoration for someone with the know-how. More photos and information can be seen here:

Poolio's sailing and travel blog. : HelfordCutter For Sale

Thanks,

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails

boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:31   #12

Boat: contessa 32

Hi: I lke my contessa 32,faster and more weatherly than most mentioned so far; not much bigger than a beefy 28 footer inside but for big water in a 9500# package she has an excellent pedegree. BTW the others mentioned here seem worth considering too.
Old 25-04-2011, 07:42   #13

Boat: 1988 Mason 44

Allied Seawind, Sea Princess, etc.
Old 25-04-2011, 07:48   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzigherz View Post
I am boat shopping. Been saving my pennies. I am looking for a cheap used sailboat, apx 27' that can eventually be sailed bluewater. Im not afraid of brightwork to save money but I don't want something so cheap that you would be afraid to float it in the neighbors swimming pool. There are two 27' Catalinas I've been looking at, but not many people recommend it for deepwater.
So you sailors out there who are lucky enough to have already owned one of every model of sailboat made, what would you look for? Any boats stick out in your mind. What should I keep my eyes out for.
I was originally intending to buy and cruise a Cal 29, that fell apart when I became involved, got married and had a couple of anklebiters. A Cal 34 or 36 is now the plan. I doubt you could find a Cal 29 in a price range similar to a 27'er.

Keep in mind that outfitting the boat for offshore is going to take a significant fraction of the purchase price of the boat, 33-66%.

Below is a rehash of a post I made for someone else.

I would look at a Cal28, Cascade 29 or a Triton 28 (Aeromarine preferable, but Pearson is fine too), all have headroom for anyone under 6' and will cost $4-10k in OK shape with the Cascade being most expensive, and the Triton possibly a bit higher on average than the Cal. A Catalina 27 is also a possiblity but you would be pushing the limits of what the boat was designed for.

CAL 28 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
CASCADE 29 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
TRITON (AEROMARINE) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
TRITON (PEARSON) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
CATALINA 27 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

Cal advantages
a)raised deck giving great volume below for a 28' boat.
b)quarter berths maximising use of space
c) probably a bit faster than the Triton
d) probably has outboard freeing storage space under cockpit.
e) Masthead rig

Cascade advantages
a) quarter berths maximising use of space in main cabin
b) probably the fastest by a small margin
c) Probably has inboard engine giving better motoring performance in waves. Normally the inboard would be more reliable than the outboard too but the Cascade is likely to have a 40-50 yr old Atomic 4 vs the 0-20yr old outboard on the Cal.
d) Masthead rig
e) Heaviest hull construction

Triton Advantages
a) Somewhat heavier hull construction than Cal
b) better motion and easier steering at sea
c) Probably has inboard engine giving better motoring performance in waves. Normally the inboard would be more reliable than the outboard too but the Triton is likely to have a 40-50 yr old Atomic 4 vs the 0-20yr old outboard on the Cal.
d) reccommendation from Dan Spurr for offshore work (Pearson Triton Sailboat)
e) Aeromarine version has a slightly heavier hull and has a masthead rig, Pearson version has a fractional rig and a bit more brightwork to maintain.

Among the big things to check before buying is that none of the bulkheads are rotted out. Some delamination of the deck core can be repaired. Once you have the boat you will want to consider glassing over the hull-deck joint. Also you may want to replace the rigging. Sta-loc or Norseman terminals are the quickest and best way to do the work and preserve resale value. Cheaper is to learn to splice eyes and do it yourself using 7x7 wire. See Brion Toss's The Rigger's apprentice.

Specific to most Cal boats you would want to make sure the steel beam under the compression post has not rusted thru. This beam may be buried under the liner so checking may be difficult. The beam is one more thing to check on Cal's but they do a better job of supporting the mast. See how one owner replaced the beam at Wilkie's Sailboat Page

Consider adding built-in water tanks, more storage for the volume occupied and in the event of a holing thru the hull into the tank, the boat doesn't try to sink, the tank already had water in it, you just can't drink it now. See Atomvoyages link below.

Consider adding a removable inner forestay for a staysail. It gives more sail area reaching in light conditions, better balance in heavy conditions since staysail is not as far foreward as jib, the extra rigging involved gives the whole mast better and redundant support.

You will need 3 anchors:
A) main is a 25# plow/CQR or Claw/Bruce on 100-150' 1/4" chain & 200-300' 9/16" nylon 3-strand rope with bow roller and chain pawl (chain pawl allows you to go without a windlass),
B) backup is a 15-18# Danforth type anchor on 30' chain and 250-350' of rope and an oversized cleat; and
C) stern/kedge anchor is a 10# plow, claw or Danforth on 15' of 3/16" chain and 150-200' 7/16" rope.
D) If you are feeling flush get a 40-50# fisherman/herreschoff/Luke with same rode as B) for difficult rock and kelp situations.
A lot of the anchor stuff you might be able to pick up at swap meets if you attend early and stay late. This will save a lot. Some of the new anchors are getting better reps than the Bruce or CQR but have not hit the 2nd hand market yet.

You will need a small dinghy. Buying an inflatible is the current general answer but it will cost you, even second hand. A hard dinghy with oars may be a more durable and economical answer if you have a place to build one yourself. There are various plans available for nesting dinghy's that take up a lot less deck space.

You will need to build a selfsteering windvane. There is a recent book that includes plans or checkout
In Memoriam Walt Murray
or
http://www.windautopilot.de/_de/7_dy...rray_Pages.zip

You may want to seal some of the storage compartments in the boat using waterproof hatches for access. This will provide floatation in the case of holing. This is discussed at
Atom Voyages | Sailing and Boat Project* Articles by James Baldwin

Make sure you have a drifter, being able to continue sailing in light air really saves on fuel. If the main is in good shape all's it may need is a 3rd reef. Decent sails can be had from used sail dealers.

For the Cal an outboard of 4hp would push you at 4-5kt in calm water, 6hp would get you to hull speed in a calm, 8hp would get you hull speed with 12-18kt wind or waves against you, over 10hp is a waste of fuel and extra weight in the stern since it won't push you any faster in a calm and in winds heavier than 18 or so the prop is going to start coming out of the water. Outboard needs to be a 4-stroke, almost twice the fuel milage of a 2-stroke and a lot less pollution.

For the Triton and Cascade, get an engine manual.

You will need a solar panel or 2, preferably on a good mount, see above Atomvoyages for one idea. 2 or 3 new group 27 flooded batteries or a pair or 2 of new 6v golf cart batteries from a 2nd tier supplier would probably be adaquate if usage is limited. Evans Starzinger has intersting things to say about batteries at Systems.

To conserve battery power you want flourescent or LED light fixtures in the cabin, 1 or 2 in main cabin & 1 in v-berth. Incadescents can remain in head and berths. You will want a single bulb Tricolor fixture at the masthead for sailing. At anchor an LED fixture should go with the anchor ball. (Bebi Electronics-Home of the Finest Marine LED Lighting Products on Sea (or Earth)! is one source that I have heard decent things about.) If motoring and the outboard has a generator/alternator the existing incanscent bulbs in the bow and stern lights are fine, otherwise consider replacing with LED.
Limiting the amount of electronics on the boat will help with battery conservation, deptho (make a backup lead line), speedo, simple mounted GPS (no chart plotter with color screen needing be backlit all the time), VHF, shortwave, and maybe a stero/CD player are about all you need. You will want a fan or 2 and if you locate them right they can do double duty blowing both over berths and thru the social areas of the main cabin. If you really need a computer, get one of the netbooks, they are optimized for low power draw to stretch their batteries as far as possible.

Convert the Icebox to shelves or drawers for storage. Same with the hanging locker across from head.

Read John Vigor's The Seaworth Offshore Sailboat (Section in back about Beefing up a Catalina 27 for offshore.
Read Don Casey's This Old Boat
Read the Lin & Larry Pardey Books SelfSufficient Sailor, CapableCruiser and CostConsciousCruiser.
Read Annie Hill's Voyaging on a Small income
Read Beth Leonard's Voyager's Handbook
Old 25-04-2011, 09:07   #15

Re: What's Your Favorite Used 'Bluewater' Boat ?

Thankyou guys. Never have I asked a community a question and and got so many replies. Some of you even took the time to write a small college paper. There were a few options I haven't thought of.

I bet you guys would make better neighbors than anyone you could ever find on land...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: