Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2011, 22:57   #1

Boat: cal 28
What's Your Experience with Cal 28 Turns ?

Hello,

I have a cal 28, we're wondering what peoples' experiences are with turning at low speeds in a cal 28. Ive heard that keel-rudder systems don't turn well. We had a hard time making a turn with 40ft or so clearance. Wondering wht your estimates are on how wide of space you needed at which speeds?

Old 13-03-2011, 23:59   #2

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: What's Your Experience with Cal 28 Turns ?

You might find that when tacking it helps to backwind the headsdail a bit before you release and change sides.

Old 14-03-2011, 00:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

I'm not very familiar with that particular model, but I thought that the Cal 24 mark 1 was either the only or one of the few Cal models with a keel attached rudder.

CAL 24 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

These two websites say the original Cal 28 has a fin keel spade rudder, the spade rudder was the prototype for the Cal 40.

Cal 28 Sailboat Cal Sailboats Cal Boats Cal Yachts Classic Plastic Jensen Marine Cal 28 Bill Lathrop Jack Jensen Good Old Boat
http://www.stirlinglaw.com/cal28/28lines2.jpg

Cal 28 specs

I'd be interested in hearing more about your Cal.

My experience with the Cal 20, 25, 33, 34, and 40 is that they all are responsive, but then they are all fin keel, in order, transom hung, spade, skeg, spade, spade rudders.

John
Old 14-03-2011, 01:14   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

In the 60's they were a little bit faster than my Dad's more handsome 28.5-foot Columbia Defender. Suspect it was because the Cal had a fin keel while the Columbia had a more traditional cut-away-foot keel.

Old 21-03-2011, 13:00   #5

yep, tis true, it's not a keel-rudder system. Someone was insisting it was, but it's not. We were actually just turning with the motor and didn't have an easy time. Someone has suggested turning the motor at the same time as the rudder, to give extra turning power. I think we'll have to try that out. One of our friends was piloting our boat and hit another because she's used to the responsiveness of her cal 25. And then on another turn it was tricky, so we're going to have to try things out a bit. We're moving it shortly (as soon as we get the engine going!) so we will have some time to play.
Old 21-03-2011, 13:07   #6
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

The Cal 28 is a fin keel/spade rudder.

My experience is that our girl likes stiffer conditions. With a brisk wind she turns on a dime. In light winds not so much.

Might be because for a 28 footer she is around 9k lbs.... they built these ladies on the heavy side!

And what kind of motor? we started with a 6.5 hp and had a terrible time maneuvering. Went to a 15hp and she handles in the marina like a dream.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 13:20   #7

yea, we have an 8hp. Thinking about upgrading. It's a pretty new motor. The previous owner said he didn't have a problem with reversing, but we do.

However, we suspect he may have been out in calmer winds - because the tiller broke and the motor came off its mount in our first sail. Old boat.

It's an 8 horse in a well, and the design of the back just doesn't seem designed for optimal reversing. Our reverse basically gives us a standstill. Maybe if we were realllllly patient, it might inch us backwards.

hah.
Old 21-03-2011, 13:25   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

yeah. change motors now... it made all the difference for us getting in and out of a tight marina. Getting that 15 horse mercury in was a stone cold bitch. 3 hours of maneuvering VERY CAREFULLY... and we reinforced the lazerette mount for the motor with 2 x 6s.

but man, even in sharp winds we slip in and out no worries. With the little motor we were playing bumper cars offa the docks and our neighbours.

IF the wind was over 12 knots we couldn't horse her thru the point and would be stuck in the slip. And reverse didn't exist for us either until we got the bigger motor.

These are heavy little boats and they need enough oomph to get up and go!

Swap motors. You will not regret it!

Old 21-03-2011, 13:40   #9

thanks sarafina that helps a lot! It's good to know that we're not the only ones with this issue. We're still very new to boating, and while trying to make a turn (on a very crappy dock location), we ended up hitting rocks. yikes. And we've been wondering what to do, whether having more horsepower would help, or modifying the rudder somehow - but that gets a little crazy at this point. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-09-2012, 22:42   #10

I have a 4hp on my Cal 28. It has mostly gotten us by, but then I am down in San Diego with lighter winds.

sarafina, it sounds like it was quite a hassle to get your 15hp into the well. Do you leave the outboard in permanently? Any problems with the outboard in doing so? I don't flush mine every time I go out but I do take it out of the well and put it up on the rail.

I leave the outboard straight and turn with the rudder, unless I need a tight turn, in which case I use both.
Old 02-09-2012, 23:24   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That sucker is in there till she HAS to come out. I have a huge waterproof bag and I slip it under the prop and horse it up around the shaft until it's up in the well. Then I use a long hand pump to pump it dry. Sorta a hassle, but protects it.

In light winds or even moderate winds the little motors will do the job. We brought her up from half moon bay to the Gate and then down to our marina by the airport with that little Johnson 6.

But the marina we are in gets wicked strong winds off mount Brisbane. I think a 12 would prolly do the job just fine, but we got a killer deal on the 15 and made it work.

If I ever take her out of the lazerette I will look into a folding prop. I think that would make getting it in and out more doable. Part of it is the weight. Its a heavy motor. Just hard to handle all around.

But as I said, completely worth it.

Old 05-09-2012, 22:29   #12

What year is your Cal 28?
I have sailed on a 1986 for several years with an inboard diesel. Taking it nice and easy while docking I find she handles very well, backing into a slip is a joy.

With the thrust of the prop being applied to the rudder makes a big difference.

Tags
cal, cal 28

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: