Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 08:23   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
What's up with my funny looking cutlass?

I thought I got the right replacement part for my cutless bearing. I even had a friend bring it in from the states. However, I did not expect the cutless in m boat to be two different sizes, smaller diameter on the inside, and larger diameter on the part that extrudes.

I did some research, and found this part, which seems to be a correct replacement part:
albin motor & fashion sweden AB

Unfortunately, it would have been almost impossible to obtain at my present location in time for my splash date when I first knew I had to replace the cutless, and now with my splash date coming up this Saturday, I just need a any working solution.

I'm going to talk to the guys down here at Palm Tree Marine tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. What about you guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171015_110358.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	157744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171015_110411.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	157745  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171015_110430.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	157746  
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 08:39   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
What's up with my funny looking cutless?

Cutless bearings are sold by shaft size, OD, and length, metric and standard. A given shaft size is available in multiple ODs and lengths. Length does not usually have to be an exact match.

Did you size the one you ordered by both shaft and OD, in metric?
Old 15-10-2017, 08:59   #3

Re: What's up with my funny looking cutless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Cutless bearings are sold by shaft size, OD, and length, metric and standard. A given shaft size is available in multiple ODs and lengths. Length does not usually have to be an exact match.

Did you size the one you ordered by both shaft and OD, in metric?
I sized it based on the information I had. Inner and outer diameter and length all match, but look at the photos. The cutless bearing on my boat is non-standard. It appears to be of two different outer diameters. It's much thinner on the side that inserts into the keel.

It could also be that the whole bearing is very thin, and inserts into the wider 25mm section that protrudes, I can't really tell.
Old 15-10-2017, 09:50   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Look closely at the second photo.

Your cutlass bearing is thin walled and inserts into the mounting flange.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 10:28   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: What's up with my funny looking cutlass?

Remove the old cutlass bearing from the flange, remount the flange and use it as a drill jig bushing to bore out the hole in the boat to allow you to mount the full length cutlass bearing. Then mount the new cutlass brg into the flange and install the whole assembly as before. The more bearing surface you have supporting the shaft, the longer the cutlass bearing will last.

You must of course have enough 'hull meat' to allow you to do this...

A picture of where the thing mounts might be helpful.

I'm assuming your stuffing box doesn't mount on the forward end of the cutlass bearing?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 02:45   #6

It looks, to me, that the cutless bearing simply inserts into the flange. The bit sticking out in the third photo IS the cutless bearing. If you look closely at the first photo you can see the rubber ridges inside it. It's longer than the flange, but as it's been working like that, it shouldn't be a problem.
There's usually a grub screw to hold the bearing in place. Undo that, knock out the old one, tap in the new one and you're done.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 07:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Remove the old cutlass bearing from the flange, remount the flange and use it as a drill jig bushing to bore out the hole in the boat to allow you to mount the full length cutlass bearing. Then mount the new cutlass brg into the flange and install the whole assembly as before. The more bearing surface you have supporting the shaft, the longer the cutlass bearing will last.

You must of course have enough 'hull meat' to allow you to do this...

A picture of where the thing mounts might be helpful.

I'm assuming your stuffing box doesn't mount on the forward end of the cutlass bearing?
This is probably the best answer here, and the only possible on-island solution. It would require moving the shaft though, which wasn't really part of the plan. I'll get a quote on how much this will cost me.

I also called Sweden this morning to see if I can get the correct part DHL'ed here by Friday. Then I gotta get it out of customs in time to fit it before splashing on Saturday.
Old 16-10-2017, 07:45   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

I agree with sailmonkey. Disassembly will show. Press bearing out from back.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 09:38   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Agree with the additional disassembly.
You need to remove the bearing from the flange.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 10:29   #10

Boat: Coast 30

I just thought I would ask IF anyone has considered the possibility that at some point in the past a previous owner or ship yard may have installed a STAVE BEARING instead of a cutlass bearing at the outboard end of the shaft log instead of where it would normally be used on the inboard side?

Disassembly/removal of the existing bearing from the flange would of course be very useful information.

My understanding is that while Cutlass bearings do not have flanges: Stave bearings do. For my application with a one inch shaft diameter there was not a flanged Stave bearing available so I had to use a different size cutlass bearing at the inboard end of the stern tube instead and lock it in with set screws. So ignoring traditions and normal practice they could be used interchangeable.

I always thought it strange the the bearings are given names and never found out why?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 05:40   #11

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I also called Sweden this morning to see if I can get the correct part DHL'ed here by Friday.
Were there any language-barrier issues with those folks? I was considering giving them a call also.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 05:46   #12

No, you'll probably speak to Stefan, he speaks perfect english.

My part arrived in Grenada today, and the order was shipped Tuesday, so I'm pretty happy. Now I just hope it's the right part...

Tags
fun, funny