Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41   #1

What's Normal Cost of Bottom Paint on 50ft like a Beneteau ?

Just a ballpark figure.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:06   #2

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
Re: Whats normal cost to do bottom paint on 50ft like a BENETEAU

+/- $35.00/ft including haul out, pressure wash, scrape some sanding with 2 coats Petit Trinidad SR in NE Florida. Try calling some local boatyards for more accurate quotes. Blisters, cutlass bearing, extra sanding beyond what's allowed will be additional, if needed.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We just recently paid about $2600 on ours. Interlux Ultra. Quite a few blister repairs.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:26   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

$510 for haul out, pressure wash, blocking and 3 days on the hard. $265 for Micron 66. $15 for roller, brushes and tray. Took about 2 hours on a 40' Bene just this past weekend.

So that is exactly $790 for me just now.

You are going to need 2 gallons on your 50' most likely.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:56   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
$510 for haul out, pressure wash, blocking and 3 days on the hard. $265 for Micron 66. $15 for roller, brushes and tray. Took about 2 hours on a 40' Bene just this past weekend.

So that is exactly $790 for me just now.

You are going to need 2 gallons on your 50' most likely.

That seems a bit low. My 38 ft boat would require roughly 4 gallons to paint. That's for two coats of bottom paint and 3 to 4 coats at the waterline and along the leading edges of the keel and rudder. And spending 2 hours suggests that no prep work other than the pressure wash was done and only one coat of paint. Bottom jobs are a pain but if I'm going to be paying all that money for the haulout I might as well do a good job. The last quote I got was for around $1500 plus whatever extras I wanted. Of course, I suppose it depends on where the boat is located and how much time it spends in the water. Here in SW Florida barnacles are more common than mosquitos but I still manage to get 2.5-3 yrs out of a bottom job.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 13:54   #6

Boat: Beneteau 50

Hi,
We have a Beneteau 50 with the deeper keel (2.3M)and it cost around $3000 total. I looked around when we were sailing in the med and had it done in Israel at the Herziliya marina. I chose there because of the environmentally friendly way they approached the problem.
They sanded the entire hull, keel and rudder with a random orbital sander hooked up to a HEPA filtered vacuum. The operators also wore proper respirators and suits with gloves.
We used Interlux Micron II with biolux paint and they put 2 coats on the entire hull and three on the keel, rudder and waterline.
Also included in that price was replacing the zincs -- we installed a big one on the iron keel because it had some rust last time we hauled, on the prop shaft, on the MAX prop plus they polished and greased the max prop.
I could have had it done in Turkey for about 2/3 the price but with cheaper paint and where the sanded bottom paint escaped more (or was inhaled by the poor bugger that did the work).
I reckon 1/3 is for the haul-out, they used 5 gallons of paint so about 1/3 for the paint, and about 1/3 for the labour, and of course 15% for the Government.
It would have taken me 3-5 days by myself -- first day to let the boat dry and clean off the zincs and polish the prop, 2 days for thorough sanding and repairs of small problems on the keel, 2 days for painting given that there are 3 coats. And then a week to recover from a difficult grotty job. In reality, you're only saving the labour side -- paint and haul-out cost the same no matter who does the work.
Hope that helps ...
mattalex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 01:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: What's Normal Cost of Bottom Paint on 50ft like a Beneteau ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
Just a ballpark figure.
It is very easy to do it yourself. The costs are lift out and put back in the water. hard stand fees for 3 days. A water blast. Disposable overalls, masking tape for the waterline and the antifoul......and your time for a couple of days.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 05:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mattalex57.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 05:45   #9

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

About $4/ft including paint and sanding here in Sint Maarten + haulout & disposables.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 07:21   #10

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalex57 View Post
Hi,
We have a Beneteau 50 with the deeper keel (2.3M)and it cost around $3000 total. I looked around when we were sailing in the med and had it done in Israel at the Herziliya marina. I chose there because of the environmentally friendly way they approached the problem.
They sanded the entire hull, keel and rudder with a random orbital sander hooked up to a HEPA filtered vacuum. The operators also wore proper respirators and suits with gloves.
We used Interlux Micron II with biolux paint and they put 2 coats on the entire hull and three on the keel, rudder and waterline.
Also included in that price was replacing the zincs -- we installed a big one on the iron keel because it had some rust last time we hauled, on the prop shaft, on the MAX prop plus they polished and greased the max prop.
I could have had it done in Turkey for about 2/3 the price but with cheaper paint and where the sanded bottom paint escaped more (or was inhaled by the poor bugger that did the work).
I reckon 1/3 is for the haul-out, they used 5 gallons of paint so about 1/3 for the paint, and about 1/3 for the labour, and of course 15% for the Government.
It would have taken me 3-5 days by myself -- first day to let the boat dry and clean off the zincs and polish the prop, 2 days for thorough sanding and repairs of small problems on the keel, 2 days for painting given that there are 3 coats. And then a week to recover from a difficult grotty job. In reality, you're only saving the labour side -- paint and haul-out cost the same no matter who does the work.
Hope that helps ...
Agree with the above post esp hepa part as we just had our boat hauled out for survey and her 7yr old steel hull stripped, sanded, and repainted @ boatbuilders yard in Itlay last week. Only difference was we used a more expensive metallic paint on the hull. Upon recommendations from our Capt. & 1st Officer after the 5 coats they applied 2 coats of Collinite's no. 885 Special Heavy Duty Fleetwax polishing with digtal sanders between coats. Our new used boat just glistened in the sunlight. We had bought cases of 12oz cans but was well worth it. In her almost 7 yr history this boat had never logged more than 10 knots sailing speed. Last Sunday in the Atlantic during speed & shakeout trials we had her doing 13.9 knots which to me for an over 300 ton steel non racing boat was very exciting. She was not pushed to the max as she has new carbon fiber masts. new rigging, & new kevlar sails besides the new bottom job and we did not want to push her till all had some time to work themself in.
Realize we had bunch of small things going her way but can't say enough about that Collinite's no. 885 special heavy duty fleetwax. Was almost afraid to touch anything in the wheelhouse for fear of getting it dirty! LOL!
At least that was the excuse I gave the Admiral as she was piloting!
Believe the numbers as posted are realistic but you can speed more if you want more. Would never use any yard/marina that did not have or use a HEPA vacuum & respirators as want no potential liability from anyone who ever worked on the boat in this sue happy society of today. IMHO
John & Carol
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 07:28   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
+/- $35.00/ft including haul out, pressure wash, scrape some sanding with 2 coats Petit Trinidad SR in NE Florida. Try calling some local boatyards for more accurate quotes. Blisters, cutlass bearing, extra sanding beyond what's allowed will be additional, if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
About $4/ft including paint and sanding here in Sint Maarten + haulout & disposables.
As haulout is about $15/ft we get $35/ft Florida vs $19/ft St. Maarten. Gotta love the Dutch islands

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 07:41   #12

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
As haulout is about $15/ft we get $35/ft Florida vs $19/ft St. Maarten. Gotta love the Dutch islands

ciao!
Nick.
Nick,
We paid 15 euros a foot. Just under 20 USD.

John
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 07:53   #13

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Plus you can use Sea Hawk Islander 44 + ablative. Nothing grows on your boat or the boats next to you. (Its tin based, made in Florida for Caribbean waters)
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 07:56   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
Plus you can use Sea Hawk Islander 44 + ablative. Nothing grows on your boat or the boats next to you. (Its tin based, made in Florida for Caribbean waters)
Not legal for use in the U.S.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:07   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not legal for use in the U.S.
Exactly, would cost you a lot of business if still allowed in the USA

But like said, St Maarten is a Dutch half-island in the Caribbean. An independent country within the Dutch Kingdom, I should say.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, bottom paint, paint