Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 08:10   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: What's Normal Cost of Bottom Paint on 50ft like a Beneteau ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Exactly, would cost you a lot of business if still allowed in the USA

But like said, St Maarten is a Dutch half-island in the Caribbean. An independent country within the Dutch Kingdom, I should say.

ciao!
Nick.
It shouldn't be allowed for use anywhere, and advocating for it indicates a lack of concern for the environment.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:14   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

fstbttms, Lots of things out your way are not in use ! but down here in the Bayou country lots of these paints are being used ! lots of wood boats working everyday that NEED protection from worms ECT, maybe bad! but good for the poor fishermen trying to protect there living ! the Gov, again they are here to help us !! just a "rant" from a old fisherman who used to be able to protect my vessel with REAL paint that lasted !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:18   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Gawd, you guys all pay a fortune for your lifts. I just got lifted out, scrubbed off, and held all day in the slings in Cowes for 150 GBP, or about $230. Bow thruster gear leg replacement.

A book of vouchers last year good for three lifts and scrubs, one lift, anti foul (including drying out over night, and one lift out and polish topsides, cost 1000 GBP with the excellent Sealift floating dry dock, which is now in Portsmouth.

That's for a 54' boat which is more like 60' LOA.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:21   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
fstbttms, Lots of things out your way are not in use ! but down here in the Bayou country lots of these paints are being used ! lots of wood boats working everyday that NEED protection from worms ECT, maybe bad! but good for the poor fishermen trying to protect there living ! the Gov, again they are here to help us !! just a "rant" from a old fisherman who used to be able to protect my vessel with REAL paint that lasted !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
I got news for you pal, there are wood boats everywhere in this country, and every one of them gets along just fine without using illegal and morally unjustifiable tin-based anti fouling paints. Ain't nothing special about the boats in "Bayou country".
Old 17-02-2012, 08:30   #20

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Gilana is 50' but we put on at least 15 Gallons each time. Then again, we only haul out every six years or so, that's where the saving is. Its not what you put on, its how thick it goes on. We always use ablative paint. In Cape Town we put on International Micron 66, it lasted till Trinidad a year later. In Trini we put on Sigma, that lasted 6 years and 6 months and two Atlantic crossings etc. Then in Venezuela in 2006 we put on Rainbow. That lasted till May 2011 (and was still working fine) Now we have 8 coats of Titan professional hard self polishing, cost us 1000 Euros for the paint. We will see how long it lasts, but were aiming to haul out in 2016 next.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:32   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

doing a proper job here in falmouth,doing the work my self
,lift in and out £700,
month on the hard£500
2 coats awlgrip primer£350
3coats micron tbt £1500
total £3050 or nearly $5000!

63 ft alumillium full keel
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:41   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Gilana is 50' but we put on at least 15 Gallons each time. Then again, we only haul out every six years or so, that's where the saving is. Its not what you put on, its how thick it goes on. We always use ablative paint. In Cape Town we put on International Micron 66, it lasted till Trinidad a year later. In Trini we put on Sigma, that lasted 6 years and 6 months and two Atlantic crossings etc. Then in Venezuela in 2006 we put on Rainbow. That lasted till May 2011 (and was still working fine) Now we have 8 coats of Titan professional hard self polishing, cost us 1000 Euros for the paint. We will see how long it lasts, but were aiming to haul out in 2016 next.
Bear in mind that anti fouling techniques that work for a cruising boat may not translate well to a boat that lives in a slip or on a mooring. And I know of no anti fouling paint available in the U.S. who's manufacturer recommends applying their products as heavily as you do or claims a lifespan for their paints that you claim you get from yours (aside from Micron 66, from which you got about as much use as anybody ever does.)
Old 17-02-2012, 08:50   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Gee fstbttms, you keep talking about not allowed in the US or not available in the US, why don't you give it a rest?! FYI, Cape Town is not in the US, Trini is not in the US and Venezuela is not in the US. May be that is why he uses paint that is not legal or not available in the US.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:54   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Gee fstbttms, you keep talking about not allowed in the US or not available in the US, why don't you give it a rest?! FYI, Cape Town is not in the US, Trini is not in the US and Venezuela is not in the US. May be that is why he uses paint that is not legal or not available in the US.

cheers,
Nick.
The reason I'm harping about what is, or is not legal in the U.S. is that the OP wants advice about a boat that lives in Florida. Not Venezuala or South Africa or Trinidad.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:55   #25

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I paid $20.00 a foot, had my own paint and the boat was already out of the water, SF Bay area. I got screwed a little bit but I got a lot (LOT) of other stuff for free so I'm really happy in the end.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:58   #26

If bottom cleaners refused to clean boats, all that paint that came off over the years wouldnt be in the environment! It would stay on the hull! I wonder what all those freighters registered outside the US put on their hulls?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 09:06   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If bottom cleaners refused to clean boats, all that paint that came off over the years wouldnt be in the environment! It would stay on the hull! I wonder what all those freighters registered outside the US put on their hulls?
The biocides in traditional anti fouling paints leach out of the product, into the water, 24/7/365, regardless of whether or not a hull cleaner touches the boat. That's how anti fouling paints work. I'm surprised that you don't understand this.

Virtually all commercial shipping uses either copper or non-toxic anti fouling coatings, since almost 60 seafaring nations have adopted the worldwide ban on tin-based anti fouling paints.
Old 17-02-2012, 09:15   #28

What I do understand is that when I scrub my bottom in the clear water of the tropics, a big cloud of blue paint floats around... I'm surprised YOU dont understand this!

Old 17-02-2012, 09:20   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What I do understand is that when I scrub my bottom in the clear water of the tropics, a big cloud of blue paint floats around... I'm surprised YOU dont understand this!
I understand it perfectly. Creating a "plume" is unavoidable when cleaning many ablative paints. The conscientious hull cleaner uses Best Management Practices to minimize the removal of paint during hull cleaning activities. But your inference that the only reason anti fouling paints release copper into the water is because somebody is cleaning the hull is completely erroneous.
Old 17-02-2012, 09:44   #30

Quote:
Hmmm... I'm looking for that word "only"....dont see it...?
I think alot of poeple here agree that protecting the enviroment is important. However, there is a practical side that our govt seems to often miss, causing alot of problems. While municipalities (like Seattle) are allowed to dump milllions of gallons of raw sewage into the ocean (right where you clean boats!), The person who goes out half a doen times in the summer on his boat has to comply with a bunch of expensive rules. While parking lots, freeways and malls allow oil, asbestos etc to enter the drain system, the govt worries about a little bottom paint. While cruise ships pump their bilges and drain there holding tanks in the sound, .....well you get the picture. (I understand they are putting a stop to this, but just recently) I think a lot of cruiser's frustration is that IF the "powers that be" paid attention to the big stuff, and enforced it, the little stuff wouldnt be such a big thing. It's the 80/20 rule... it costs double to get the last 20% done than it does to get the first 80% done! Maybe I'm wrong but I think that's what pisses cruisers off. BC has no boat sewage restraints.... anyway... Peace on this subject.

Tags
beneteau, bottom paint, paint