Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2008, 03:05   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
JACHTWERF HELLEMAN
Dorpsstraat 40
4284 EJ Rijswijk Nb
NEDERLAND
Tel: +31 183441131
Fax: +31 184601450

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 03:33   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Thanks again Gord
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 17:59   #33

Pretty boat Palagic!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 19:58   #34
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
My boat takes very good care of me when it is rough. The rougher it gets the more problems others have, and the better my boat looks after me. We can also hit things with the keel and the keel does not get upset. Zero blisters is also nice.
Old 27-03-2008, 15:47   #35

Boat: Endeavour E40
!.) LARGE Center Cockpit
2.) LARGE Aft Cabin
3.) Complete Roller-Furling
4.) Great Live-aboard (I don't)
5.) Did I MENTION LARGE CENTER COCKPIT ?????
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 16:26   #36

Boat: Maine Cat 41
-I love my 360 degree protected view of the world both underway and at rest. Warm, dry, bugfree, yet I get to enjoy the beautiful cruising areas I went out to see instead of hiding out down in a hole below.

-The ability to easily carry a dinghy and the ability to launch/retrieve it without hassle.

-An oh, so comfy, queen size bunk that both my wife and I almost invariably say when we crawl into it, "I really love my bed...."

-The ability to provide an awesome cruising/sailing experience for our not so boat savy friends. (i.e. They don't lose their privacy and conveniences they're use to and don't have to feel like they're roughing it)

-The fact that I can singlehand it easily, comfortably and in almost any reasonale weather. Winds 1-30 knots hav no negative affect on our sailing comfort and enjoyment.

-
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 16:50   #37

Boat: 44 footer
I like the forward facing ports in the dog house, not really seen until you get a pilot house. Allows for forward visibility and a sense of horizon that is hard to get from only side mounted ports. Because they are on an angle, they catch water... only downside. I'm thinking about putting a single round port light at the front of the house as well as one looking into the cockpit.

The port and starboard lights are mounted just in front of the cockpit coaming, which means they double as side deck lights when night sailing. Actually being able to see what you are about to trip over has its benefits! They are already green, and red so they don't bother night vision to much. (I'll be sad to see them go, but for reduced electrical requirements and the K.I.S.S. principle an LED bi-color bow light makes better sense. She'll also look bigger at night to other boats.)

The galley is made of units that are removable. Both port and starboard sides have panels which allow access to the cockpit lockers. Twenty minutes and one half of the galley can be slid out of the way!

The upper hatchboard was drilled diagonally with a ton of 3/4 inch holes, and metal mesh screen placed behind them. When its rainy out no rain gets in, and no bugs either with some ventilation.

The outboard. I love the thing. It sips gas, and makes docking a breeze. Variable direction stern thruster! Not only do I have reverse, but I can suck the stern over to the dock once theres a bow line on. I have no amidship cleats, so springing over isn't easily an option. She'll spin her around in a circle not much longer than she is, and if you nose up on a sand bar, spin the thrust over hard to port or starboard and she'll spin around and off the bar. (Prior to this it involved dropping the jib, holding the main out with the engine in reverse... praying she wouldn't just spin 'round in circles 'cause of the prop walk.)

The compass. Its mounted on a stand on the back of the cabin. I can tilt it up and down to better see the heading when the sun would otherwise obscure it. Loosen two thumb screws and its down below out of the weather.

Aft lead topping lift, when about to go forward and reef, haul it in and set the mainsheet tight on center. Less apt to get pitched over the side, and one less thing to do at the mast.

Darn near full length hand rails down below, hold on to the high side and everything else can go crashing around... but you don't.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 20:07   #38

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
1. Small. Everything is cheaper, easier to handle, and less to look after.
2. Simple. Nothing fancy on here. Again, cheaper, easier to handle, and less to look after.
3. Twin Keels. Love the ability to get into shallow areas, and sit on the bottom while the tide falls without heeling.
4. Overkill. The hull was built extremely thickly, the anchor is several sizes too large, the rigging is a couple of sizes too large. The keel weight is quite a lot of the total weight. Most of the important stuff is overkill. Make me feel safer.
5. Outboard engine in a well in the transom. Most of the benefits of an inboard engine with most of the benefits of an outboard. Very little gas consumption, easy to access to check things out. I can literally just look down and see the prop to check for fouling before I start it. If something does get tangled on it somehow, it's reachable so I only get my arm wet rather than having to dive in. The well also gives me a gigantic cockpit drain. If the water gets more than a couple of inches high on the floor, it starts flowing out the well. On the other hand, I can get occasional splashes and drips from the well into the cockpit as well.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 06:22   #39
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
1) It's always been paid for
2)stability at anchor
3)cutter rig
4)I have yet to see another like her
5)speed, especially after averaging 4kts for years....LOLOLOL
AND THE LIST CAN GO ON!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 04:59   #40

Boat: C and C 25
Palegic, if I had a boat like that I would presume my wife was a widow and I had led a good life. My boat is just the opposite, small and cramped with more than a few people (read 3-4) but very simple. sluissa, I have a friend that had boat identical to yours, although as you say it was small I always got the feeling there was more boat under me than was immediately obvious. The two things I like most about my boat is it has almost nothing beyond hull and rigging to maintain (I do not like working on boats, I like sailing them) and Mrs Snowshoe thinks it is a great place to be!
Snowshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 09:19   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
1. She's a gorgeous old classic and the only one on the West coast, that I know of.
2. The way she sails, in any weather. When it hits the fan and everybody else runs for home, she's just getting in her groove.
3. Well designed "Old school" interior with lots of Mahogany, grabrails and hidey holes.
4. Pointing ability, I've had her running at 2 knots in 15 knots of breeze at 10 degrees of apparent wind without luffing the sails to death. It's nice to be able to just park awhile to let a ship pass or something.
5. The feel and smell, nothing like a cozy, warm boat to take the edge off a PNW winter sail.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:25   #42

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
She is paid for.......

Now after lots of time and money she's ready to go. I also like the Dickinson stove, and most lately the Engel fridge. The boat is built like a tank, has no interior leaks( small one into the engine compartment when it rains) and is as stable as a small boat gets. She is not fast, hense the name "Turtle" but I will get there. The rig is small and easily handled by one person which is good as the wife isn't even a little bit interested in going sailing.

If I could just find a free spirit with a trust fund(or just a trust fund) I might leave tomorrow......m
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote