Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2006, 11:49   #16

My Cape Dory 25D's best feature is the way she heaves to and just sits and drifts like a duck with it's head under it's wing. Great safety feature for allowing a single hander to get some rest.
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 11:56   #17
cruiser

What I like most about my boat

The thing I like most about my 31 footer of my own design is her directional stability and hull balance.I've had her self steering without the windvane connected , on a broad reach in 15 knots of wind. I can walk to the foredeck ,do stuff ,and walk back to the cockpit with the tiller free, without her wandering more than a few degrees .This is a total contrast with previous boats that I've owned and most boats I've sailed on.
Second would be the twin keels ,which have enabled me to cruise for 22 years ,11 months a year ,without even once having paid to tie to a dock.They also give me the directrional stability and drastically reduce rolling.
Third would be the two foot wide sidedecks , which enable me to go comfortably foreward while the boat is well heeled without having to do gymnastics.
I also love my wheelhouse with inside steering, which enables me to cruise as comfortably in january as in july.
My woodstove enables me to stay away from gas docks and be dry and warm year round.Adequate sprayfoam insulation makes it all work.
Brent Swain
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 13:44   #18

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynand N View Post
what I like best?
She was designed by myself ...
That's definitely something to be proud of. But if might ask, why not put some of the photos up or link to your website (if you have one) and let others see what you have worked so hard on?

I know that was the first thing I looked for when I read your response.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 13:53   #19

I like: Standing Headroom
Pointing ability
Speed
Diesel Inboard
Reliable refrigeration
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 14:24   #20

Boat: B24
Haven’t had our little Bristol long enough to go for the full five; however, so far the three things that strike me as impressive are the unexpected comfort (for such a smallish rascal) even on a long beat into 20kts, amazingly good storage for its size and the fact that hull sanding and fairing are Sunday projects not weeks-long ordeals like on my larger (previous) boats… more to brag about later, but still have too many fun Bristol projects yet in boxes…
Old 21-03-2008, 14:29   #21

Boat: Prout Escale 39ft -Aramanta
Its more about what my wife likes than what I like. So her spec was: -

Large, Comfortable, easy to sail
Enough space if children visit and more importantly Grand Children vist
With a bath
Big enough for a piano (she had to compromise there with a full size keyboard)
Minimum heal she likes to take her coffee in comfort!

Had to be a Cat!
Aramanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 15:14   #22

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Classic lines and full canvas.
Old 22-03-2008, 02:07   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I like this thread because there can be no wrong answers. It is whatever turns your crank! I bought a moror sailor!

Buying a motor sailor is a risky venture because they have a reputation of doing neither well.

1. Stargazer does and more importantly motorsails exceptionally well attaining hull speed in 15 knots with only 1000rpm.
2. I love the ergonomics of this tough Dutch built (Corten) steel boat with very robust systems
3. 2/3rds of the hull is double bottomed
4. The walk-in and very sociable cockpit
5. The line of sights from a functional pilothouse.
6. Interior designed for a seaway and practical solutions for privacy
7. The master bedroom and office
8. Intelligent use of space.
9. Tons of storage and 6ft 6” headroom throughout.
10. Can be sailed by one and with bowthruster, easy to dock
11. Schooner rig is a beauty under sail

Ooops you said only 5 but I could go on and on …..and on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail8.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	3048   Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	3049  

Name:	DSC00077.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	3050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navg. Desk looking forward.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	3051  

Name:	Office.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	3052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stargazer aft cabin facing lazarette.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	3053  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 06:09   #24

Pelagic,

A stunning yacht. What does double bottomed mean? Corten steel, as far as I know oxidizes and forms an almost impenetrable protective layer and requires no painting to provide a barrier to corrosion. Is this the material of your hum and if so how does this work in the marine environment? Wouldn't the steel have to weather sufficient and build up the oxidized protective coating before application of fairlng and paint?

On an other note, the design features and option on larger yachts will be orders of magnitudes greater than on smaller yachts. Yours seems quite large, and I wonder if you would comment on the particular features of the design for a boat of that size which you feel are special/desirable/successful.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:48   #25

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Nice to read about the good things. I borrowed a few ideas from other boats when building my Roberts 36, what I really liked in no real order:
-Separate nav station with great swivel chair and descent sized chart table
-Pilot berth amidships that was just so comfortable and secure at sea
- Boom crutch that made reefing a breeze
-ketch rig and so easy to balance that auto pilot hardly had anywork to do
-Dad helped me so much through the project that we got to know each other in ways that would not have been posible otherwise
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 09:01   #26

Glenn

The last reason was beautiful and such an honor to your father. Smart ideas there too.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 10:12   #27
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Pelagic,

A stunning yacht. What does double bottomed mean? Corten steel, as far as I know oxidizes and forms an almost impenetrable protective layer and requires no painting to provide a barrier to corrosion. Is this the material of your hum and if so how does this work in the marine environment? Wouldn't the steel have to weather sufficient and build up the oxidized protective coating before application of fairlng and paint?

On an other note, the design features and option on larger yachts will be orders of magnitudes greater than on smaller yachts. Yours seems quite large, and I wonder if you would comment on the particular features of the design for a boat of that size which you feel are special/desirable/successful.
Thanks Dejef (You can tell I like her). To try and answer your questions

What does double bottomed mean? The Dutch Builder originally designed and built the main engine and generator to be “Skin Cooled” so he created a shallow but long coolant tank that covers the whole shell bottom from almost the prop shaft to the forward engine room bulkhead. Then forward of that Fuel tanks, water tanks and holding tank also were built above the shell giving you a double bottom in case of penetration by going aground. (If you look at the haul-out photo, where you see the lower chine…the area below that is mostly double bottomed by skin cooling or tankage

Corten steel was used mostly on steel bridges where it was hard to get at certain areas to paint. Also high strength/low carbon properties. Nowadays it is favoured by artists who make those huge steel sculptures that are left to weather in parks.

The lifespan of a steel hull is dependant on the quality of the coatings from the inside especially in areas that soon become inaccessible. I have a very good coating system on the inside but if there is a localised failure in it, the Corten steel, will as you say…self heal. The whole boat including the superstructure is made of Corten except where they have made drains etc….. which cause me rust problems if not maintained. Corten is more susceptible to electrolysis so you need to be careful with stray currents.

Yours seems quite large, and I wonder if you would comment on the particular features of the design for a boat of that size which you feel are special/desirable/successful?

Having been heavily involved in yacht design and project management from custom tenders to 80m Super yachts, the basic tenants of “Form following Function” protecting ergonomics apply equally. The only difference when you go bigger is that you have a bit more space for production modifications if design errors are discovered….. so unforeseen measurements are not so critical and a good builder can solve them on the floor.

I think my point 10 is the most important feature for a boat my size for a live aboard couple.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0378.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	3054  
Old 22-03-2008, 10:34   #28

Boat: Norseman 447
Nice boat Pelagic, What design?
5 things I like most about our boat
1. Pilothouse
2.Pilothouse
3.Pilothouse
4.Pilothouse
5.Washing Machine, (Captain made me put that one in)

Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 15:15   #29

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Glenn

The last reason was beautiful and such an honor to your father. Smart ideas there too.
thanks defjef...another thing I learned when cruising was that it was as much about the people we met, both the sailers and the locals as about the getting there.
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 16:39   #30
CF Adviser

It is a van Helleman, built by Dutch Builder/designer of same name.

They always had a good reputation and I am curious if anyone knows what happened to the builder?

Only found one available on the internet. It is bigger than my 65ft

Boats for sale Netherlands Antilles, Used boat sales, Sailing Yachts For Sale HELLEMAN KETCH 2200 - Apollo Duck