Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 07:12   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: What Yacht to Ocean Go for 4 on a Budget?

That was an interesting thread..........cheers for the update .

I am guessing you bought in Oz after all.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 17:00   #77

Boat: Nantucket 33
pirate Re: What Yacht to Ocean Go for 4 on a Budget?

Yes I should have clarified we bought in Australia.
What I concluded after extensive research.
Importing for certain vessels could be worth it depending on attitude and budget. The more expensive brands of yacht the more the potential savings.
With our budget best case is we save $10,000 - $15,000 and enjoy the trip. Less of course lost wages we don't count.
Best/Worst case is we break even not counting lost wages.
Worst worst is the boat never leaves port you end up having to cut your losses and sell it off and fly home. (Of course that's if you bought and surveyor and yourself missed something major or some unseen circumstance.
At any rate this particular boat is better constructed from comprador yachts than the Taiwan version that made it to the states and Europe. If we could find one as good as this one we would likely break even bringing her back. But I doubt even then we would find one as good.
In the end we went for this one and got stuck into any tasks we deem necisary.
No we didn't get to enjoy the trans ocean voyage home we would have from import. But we did end up with a little ship with a brand new Penta Diesel. New spars and Sheldon kicker with all the in boom resting bells and whistles.
New davits, new steering right down to the folding lewmar wheel. Plus a host of other great features.
Now I've been going through the out of sight stuff no one seemed to care about. New wiring new headliner insulation refrigeration boxes convert new eutectic to 12v new water tanks and pex plumbing,new sole covering, new bilge acess panels, new solar and all new wiring electrical panels house banks and battery management, charging and shore power and the list goes on.
At any rate we are well on our way.

I should add the reason we payed a premium on this boat besides we felt it was worth it. We just could not find another yacht that fit our requirements as well.

We wanted a stout little ship that could accommodate 4 in as small a size as possible with good sea keeping ability.
We ended up with a yacht that has a nice size aft cabin a generous Vberth decent size head well laid out galley and we love the big salon semi round seating arrangement that can be made into a double on port and a single seaberth on starboard. All this in a 33' which keeps our maintenance, slipping, marina fees mooring and registration etc to a lower cost.
Anyway we are very happy. If our budget was bigger I do like the slightly more spacious HR 350 but that's out of our budget and for a boat I think is compatible we did quite well.
It's too bad that since these boats were all built to survey for charter around the whitsundays. Most have been thoroughly abused. After charter most became syndicate. I was lucky this one escaped and was privately bought for personal use and am the third owner.
Anyway that's the story of our journey do far.
Fair winds
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 15:39   #78

Boat: Nantucket 33
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2488792677.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	54243

Stock photo from when we bought her so it does not show the new cowl vents etc.
cheers
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote