Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 13:19   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: What yacht is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
If this is a joke, I think it's pretty damn funny. If it's not a joke, I'm still laughin'.

Paul
OK, fine, then. Try Magellan 36... a rose by any other name.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:23   #32

Boat: Farr 1020

Now the length is the area we start the discussion.
Sailboat Data states 36 LOA, 12 ft beam x 4.58ft draught - but the Add defines that as 40ft LOA x 13ft beam x 5ft draught.

Someone is in error !
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:37   #33

Magellan 36 is 42' overall.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-01-2016, 18:11   #34

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

It is a Magellan 36 just like mine. Designed by Hugh Angelman before 1950. The first one, a wooden built boat was gaff rigged and I think won a TransPac race on corrected time. Check out the website devoted to these boats. I don't have the link but if you google it you will find it. It was also sold as an Island Trader 37. Certainly an outdated design but a comfortable over built in Taiwan.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 04:29   #35

Were the wooden Angelman ketches made out of teak? I know the Cheoy Lee sailboats were teak hulls.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 04:48   #36

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Ok Magellen 36 it must be.
Foufou can you tell me about construction? Deck to hull join? Cored decks?
There seems to be only one owner list but the site is suspended.
Help appreciated!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:04   #37

Boat: Vivacity 20

Well, as it seems this thread has reached its goal, and I don't want to start a new one, I'm posting here some photos taken in my local marina of what seem to be abandoned boats. I'm tempted of asking about their status, maybe it's possible to get one of them just by paying for the mooring... and some refurbishing plus the related paperwork. Anyway, I don't need a luxury cruiser, and in Spain you must have a seaworthiness certificate; as long as it passes the inspection, you can assume it's safe. It's a pity to see boats degrading in such a way, but perhaps something can be done about this.

So I'd ask for help from CF members for identifying the model of these boats, in order to find more about their specs.

#1 .- Nice and in fairly good state, but it's a ketch and I guess too many hands would be needed. English registration.

#2 .- This is the one I like best. Somehow it got to Spain to stay from San Diego... A bit dirty, but key elements don't look bad.

#3 .- Probably too big... Also, at a minimum would need a new sprayhood and running rigging, they're completely green.

Of course, maybe my idea is just a pipe dream, but the fact is that if nobody takes charge of those boats, sooner or later they'll be just destroyed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160114_171549.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	116723   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160114_171820.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	116724  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160114_171356.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	116727  
Bertie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:02   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Ok Magellen 36 it must be.
Foufou can you tell me about construction? Deck to hull join? Cored decks?
There seems to be only one owner list but the site is suspended.
Help appreciated!
deck is cored with plywood often a trouble spot. Not certain about hull deck joint. It's up under bulwark with cap rail. I'll reach up to try to figure it out. Other issues can be shaft log. What else
Old 14-01-2016, 11:04   #39

You can e mail me at foufoupanou@gmail.com
Old 14-01-2016, 11:09   #40

On my Magellan 36 I had to inject gel into the cockpit sole was the plywood in between the glass had rotted. There are some places on the side decks that will need treatment and cockpit locker lids. No problem with the hull. I had rot in the sampson post which i replaced.

Even with the few problems I love the boat and every time I go out others come along side to say how pretty she looks.
peterbeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie68 View Post
Well, as it seems this thread has reached its goal, and I don't want to start a new one, I'm posting here some photos taken in my local marina of what seem to be abandoned boats. I'm tempted of asking about their status, maybe it's possible to get one of them just by paying for the mooring... and some refurbishing plus the related paperwork. Anyway, I don't need a luxury cruiser, and in Spain you must have a seaworthiness certificate; as long as it passes the inspection, you can assume it's safe. It's a pity to see boats degrading in such a way, but perhaps something can be done about this.

So I'd ask for help from CF members for identifying the model of these boats, in order to find more about their specs.

#1 .- Nice and in fairly good state, but it's a ketch and I guess too many hands would be needed. English registration.

#2 .- This is the one I like best. Somehow it got to Spain to stay from San Diego... A bit dirty, but key elements don't look bad.

#3 .- Probably too big... Also, at a minimum would need a new sprayhood and running rigging, they're completely green.

Of course, maybe my idea is just a pipe dream, but the fact is that if nobody takes charge of those boats, sooner or later they'll be just destroyed.
#2 is an Ericson 38. Fin keel, spade rudder
I am blanking out on #3, I think it may be a Mason? I think there is one in my marina, gotta check it out. I think it may be a full keel boat...
edit: looks like a Mason 43 but I don't think it is.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-01-2016, 12:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am blanking out on #3, I think it may be a Mason? I think there is one in my marina, gotta check it out. I think it may be a full keel boat...
Upon further review, nope, not a Mason 43.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-01-2016, 16:23   #43
Marine Service Provider

Oh...man oh man....As written many posts back, I called the owner/seller yet this somehow does not seem to settle the issues. The Magellan 36 was built by Chien Hwa or Chung Hwa...so some folks keep writing in..It's a cake, it's a candy, it's a dessert topping! Okay---so here is a video of one for sale a couple years ago. It's not a Bayfield...it's not an Island Trader... and it's not a Cheoy lee...it was built by Chien Wha or Chung Hwa and whether it is the Magellan 36 or some other model, or some other name, it's from the same yard and probably the same designer whether it's a slightly different model or not so why dispute what the seller's ad wrote and what the owner relayed to me because instead of arguing, I went to the source and provided a link to Sailboat Data and now this link to a video. It's just a bit crazy how these things fly off to space with the crowd clamoring to get in their two cents--even the OP did not bother to call the seller. So--please enjoy this video--all of these links are searchable within milliseconds...: thank you
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:26   #44

As I recall reading somewhere these Magellan 36 and Island Trader 37's were built in more than two different boatyards in and around Taipei. I don't know if the molds were sold and resold or if there were several sets of tooling but they all look the same but for a few details. Mine came with a wooden mast cut up in pieces because the prior owner thought it could not be repaired. On deck was an aluminum mast 6' or so longer and meant to be deck stepped and double spreader as opposed to the original single spreader wooden mast. I agonized over this problem then one day decided to put the deck stepped mast on deck and rig it as it was intended. I put in a compression post made od solid aluminum and double spreaders. new chainplates etc. Quite a bit of work but now the boat has more sail area, so needs to be reefed sooner but very good in light air. the heeling moment of the lighter aluminum mast is less than the shorter wooden mast. still many up grades to go.Next might be a hard dodger with traveler on top as well as solar panels. We'll seehow the year progresses. F
Old 15-01-2016, 08:19   #45

Boat: Vivacity 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Many thanks, Don!

...and sorry for the thread 'hijacking'
Bertie68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht