Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 04:15   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post

Sailed from Cabot head to lion head in 40 knots back wind, almost bare pole my boat was flying...the next day someone advised me to go with only the jib next time, on that same day when rounding Owen strait I again hit winds in the 35 knots dropped the main and reeled my jib, it was perfect sailing....live and learn!
Tha was Owen sound......few weeks earlier I braoched my folkboat in Owen strait in similar winds...I keep mixing them sorry
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 13:44   #107

If your wife will go anywhere on a 34 foot Hunter get one, than if she does not go get a new wife, seems harsh but a man must follow his dreams. At the end of the day it's your call LOL Good luck
Sheer Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 14:01   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Pleasure View Post
If your wife will go anywhere on a 34 foot Hunter get one, than if she does not go get a new wife, seems harsh but a man must follow his dreams. At the end of the day it's your call LOL Good luck
She can't stop talkin about the hunter to everyone we meet, she's hooked
Old 25-08-2013, 15:21   #109
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:

Good job!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 15:36   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Good job!
Decision made get the hunter she loves the boat, that's a big start, my lady friend loves my boat even enjoyed her first ocean sail in 3 metre seas, not an experienced sailor but wants to learn.
Enjoys cleaning the inside of the boat, complains about the toilets though, on that subject does any one know how to keep the smell out of them?
Old 25-08-2013, 15:45   #111
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Pleasure View Post
Decision made get the hunter she loves the boat, that's a big start, my lady friend loves my boat even enjoyed her first ocean sail in 3 metre seas, not an experienced sailor but wants to learn.
Enjoys cleaning the inside of the boat, complains about the toilets though, on that subject does any one know how to keep the smell out of them?

There was a whole book written on that by someone who used to come to this forum.

Bottom line is that if your head smells, something needs to be fixed or replaced somewhere. I live on my boat and the head doesn't smell.
Old 25-08-2013, 16:13   #112

Quote:

There was a whole book written on that by someone who used to come to this forum.

Bottom line is that if your head smells, something needs to be fixed or replaced somewhere. I live on my boat and the head doesn't smell.
Thanks, only new to boats that are moored and have toilets, intending to move onto my boat very soon, any advice as what to take on board would be welcome.
Old 25-08-2013, 16:21   #113

Quote:

Mission Accomplished. For now anyway, but that's a big part of a successful program.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:15   #114

Google Peggie Hall, the book is called Boat Odors...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 17:07   #115
cruiser

Ditch the woman mate. It's your life, your boat, your dream. Her talk about "oh I will go anywhere in a 34 footer" is pure bumkin. Next she will want a 40 footer, then a 45 ... it will go on.

If she backed her man 100% she would go with you in any boat. She's not up for it mate, simple as that -- she goes.

Or, you can be like the other millions of beta males that supplicate to women these days, and be her little bitch while she wears the pants. Just hand in your mancard on your way out though.
Up to you.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 17:43   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
Ditch the woman mate. It's your life, your boat, your dream. Her talk about "oh I will go anywhere in a 34 footer" is pure bumkin. Next she will want a 40 footer, then a 45 ... it will go on.

If she backed her man 100% she would go with you in any boat. She's not up for it mate, simple as that -- she goes.

Or, you can be like the other millions of beta males that supplicate to women these days, and be her little bitch while she wears the pants. Just hand in your mancard on your way out though.
Up to you.

Oh my. Fortunately I know this man isn't representative of all Kiwi men ...

I am just stunned that someone would give such dramatic advice to a man he has never even met, attempting to interfere in something as important as a person's marriage.

There's a HUGE difference in living space, all other things being equal, between a 26' boat and a 34' boat. A person could easily prefer the larger boat. I could live, if I had to, alone, on a Catalina 27' but I much prefer the space my boat gives me. As much as I love living aboard, and as much as I love sailing, if I had a partner or husband I would want a bigger boat also.
Old 14-09-2013, 17:53   #117
cruiser

Quote:
Oh my. Fortunately I know this man isn't representative of all Kiwi men ...

I am just stunned that someone would give such dramatic advice to a man he has never even met, attempting to interfere in something as important as a person's marriage.

There's a HUGE difference in living space, all other things being equal, between a 26' boat and a 34' boat. A person could easily prefer the larger boat. I could live, if I had to, alone, on a Catalina 27' but I much prefer the space my boat gives me. As much as I love living aboard, and as much as I love sailing, if I had a partner or husband I would want a bigger boat also.
He does not want a bigger boat. He wants his Grampian and he should damn well stick with that. Do you not understand this?

You accuse me of "interfering"? Get a grip. It's just a website forum and not some professional counselling service--he can take or leave what anyone says on th big bad internet. He made the OP and put his personal life out there in regards this situation, so suck it up.

Glad to know you are such an expert on Kiwi men.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 17:04   #118

Kiwi I very much agree with your statement to stick with the Grampian ... The Grampian 26 is all the boat I need, unfortunately this wonderful and solid jem is not to the wife's liking... It doesn't matter if she knows next to nothing about boats she likes bigger end of story....

To accommodate both parties I've sold the Grampian and decided to keep my favourite boat ever, for my own greedy pleasure ... And obtained the hunter34 for all the family wife and 4kids.

If I ever decide to cross oceans off to never land it will probably be solo, I've grown to think that singlehanded is the only way to keep this passion pure....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	67243  
Old 15-09-2013, 17:11   #119
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
He does not want a bigger boat. He wants his Grampian and he should damn well stick with that. Do you not understand this?

You accuse me of "interfering"? Get a grip. It's just a website forum and not some professional counselling service--he can take or leave what anyone says on th big bad internet. He made the OP and put his personal life out there in regards this situation, so suck it up.

Glad to know you are such an expert on Kiwi men.

Yes, I do get it that he likes the Grampian. Apparently, he likes his wife enough to compromise on what boat they have, something *you* apparently don't get.

Yeah, I say you were interfering, giving strong (and personally destructive) advice. He did put his personal life out there. That doesn't mean the rest of us should throw all social judgment out the window.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:18   #120
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Kiwi I very much agree with your statement to stick with the Grampian ... The Grampian 26 is all the boat I need, unfortunately this wonderful and solid jem is not to the wife's liking... It doesn't matter if she knows next to nothing about boats she likes bigger end of story....

To accommodate both parties I've sold the Grampian and decided to keep my favourite boat ever, for my own greedy pleasure ... And obtained the hunter34 for all the family wife and 4kids.

If I ever decide to cross oceans off to never land it will probably be solo, I've grown to think that singlehanded is the only way to keep this passion pure....
+A1.... been some of my best sails..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote