Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-08-2013, 18:55   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Then not a folkboat.

Looking at the other image I am beginning to understand why you want that Hunter.

I actually think Hunters are best. Call it a sudden change of heart.

Cheers,
b.
It's not officially a folkboat, on paper it has better sail qualities. In the

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3212587132.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	65932

fastnet tragedy this boat did very well, that's why I obtained it. She's fast and sails like a dream, but my lack of experience led me to load about 500+ lbs under the cockpit which made her hobbyhorse like crazy, I tot it was a design flaw and obtained the Grampian to keep goin on.

Old 24-08-2013, 12:46   #92

Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

If you go to the Hunterowners site, you will see some reviews from other owners of the ol'34. I've sailed one now for 5 years. My wife also had a big hand in the decision to buy this boat but the pleasant surprise is that once you understand the boats nuances you will appreciate her lines, comfort and speed. I've been out in 5-6 foot seas blowing 25-30 and reefed down but sailing with the admiral still not worried. When you start to compare this boats specs with the other production boats of the same era, I found that they are all about the same so I don't think that the heeling issue is much different either. Here's a link to the reviews on the Hunter Owners site. You will find tons of info that will help you solve the inevitable older boat issues as well. Cheers HunterOwners.com

Old 24-08-2013, 13:04   #93
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Gold View Post
If you go to the Hunterowners site, you will see some reviews from other owners of the ol'34. I've sailed one now for 5 years. My wife also had a big hand in the decision to buy this boat but the pleasant surprise is that once you understand the boats nuances you will appreciate her lines, comfort and speed. I've been out in 5-6 foot seas blowing 25-30 and reefed down but sailing with the admiral still not worried. When you start to compare this boats specs with the other production boats of the same era, I found that they are all about the same so I don't think that the heeling issue is much different either. Here's a link to the reviews on the Hunter Owners site. You will find tons of info that will help you solve the inevitable older boat issues as well. Cheers HunterOwners.com

I can tell you that my 31' is happy and balances well (very little sideslip with a gain in speed) heeling more than 22 in moderate winds. I don't care, but sometimes other people do.

Of course, you don't *have* to do that for her to move quite snappily along. But I had a highly experienced sailor on board that trip, and I turned the "skipper" title over to him, and that was his choice. Of course we all wanted to see what she could do.

I would *think* the shape of the transom would be helpful in a following sea. Am I guessing right?
Old 24-08-2013, 13:20   #94

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Ketch

Cruised Fl to Venezuela via thorny path on 44 Ketch for 2 years and wish I had 38 Cutter. 44 twice as expensive to maintain including rigging standing and running. Everything is bigger and more expensive. Water Storage is probably the most important component other that hull integrity and sail handling. Everything else takes care of itself. You make it work. The more toys the more things to break. I had brushes for my Crosby 12V refrigeration made in Cumana Venezuela (thus I rebuilt the electric motor). If I learned to drink warm beer I would not had to tear systems apart. Lynn and Larry Pardey had it right. No thru hulls and a cedar bucket. The problem is no woman will live like that.
Old 24-08-2013, 14:57   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcconnella View Post
Cruised Fl to Venezuela via thorny path on 44 Ketch for 2 years and wish I had 38 Cutter. 44 twice as expensive to maintain including rigging standing and running. Everything is bigger and more expensive. Water Storage is probably the most important component other that hull integrity and sail handling. Everything else takes care of itself. You make it work. The more toys the more things to break. I had brushes for my Crosby 12V refrigeration made in Cumana Venezuela (thus I rebuilt the electric motor). If I learned to drink warm beer I would not had to tear systems apart. Lynn and Larry Pardey had it right. No thru hulls and a cedar bucket. The problem is no woman will live like that.

Apparently Lynn does ...
Old 24-08-2013, 15:06   #96

You know, I really haven't paid much attention her performance in following seas. I was out on Malasapena strait the other day in 22 knot winds doing deep reaches and the boat was quite stable other than climbing up and down waves. I will pay more attention.
Old 24-08-2013, 15:21   #97

One way to have a nice sail in heavier weather is just fly the head sail and leave the main on the boom. Being a masthead rig, the power is up front anyway. You'd be surprised at how well the boat handles this way. She'll heel to around 15-20 degrees, not even enough to spill your ginger ale. That is using my 110(standard) in anything around 20knots. There are lots of tricks to sailing this boat and over time you will find them. Keep Calm and Sail On. Have fun on your new boat.
Old 24-08-2013, 15:48   #98
cruiser

Quote:
One way to have a nice sail in heavier weather is just fly the head sail and leave the main on the boom. Being a masthead rig, the power is up front anyway. You'd be surprised at how well the boat handles this way. She'll heel to around 15-20 degrees, not even enough to spill your ginger ale. That is using my 110(standard) in anything around 20knots. There are lots of tricks to sailing this boat and over time you will find them. Keep Calm and Sail On. Have fun on your new boat.

Well, let me tell you what happened to my 31' Hunter when we did that.

We were in the Manatee River approaching channel marker 9 when it happened, but if you've never been on the Manatee River, it's a wide, deep and shallow mouth. Even in the channel it's not all that deep.

We had 4' waves and had lost the mainsail to a piece of hardware that failed. It was secured in the lazy jack, and we were goin' like blazes just on the headsail.

But the water was rough and confused, and the waves were close together. Somehow the stern of the boat dropped, but the bow stayed up. She came down hard on the rudder and bent the shaft 30. What *I* think happened is that a wave at the stern broke while the bow stayed elevated by another wave, and also that big, powerful headsail, I think, helped hold the bow up. It was a great sail until then ...

I was bounced right out of my seat by the concussion. I really would have been in a world of hurt except that I had a very strong male friend with me. The forward edge of the rudder was jammed up against the hull, but we only had to make two more moderate turns to get to our anchorage, and he was able to muscle it through. If he hadn't been there, I would have been out there in rough water, no steering, and shallows on both sides. That would have been a good time to quickly drop a stern hook, I think ...

When we pulled the rudder, the shaft had been bent 30. The actual fiberglass rudder was intact. Someone even read it with a moisture meter and could find no water in the rudder.

I will never, ever again sail this boat just on the headsail in shallow water.

That's what led to me being towed the next day without steering as mentioned in another thread. I now realize I know FOUR people with Hunters who have had major rudder loss of some kind, because although the fellow out in the Gulf built his boat, he started with a Hunter hull.
Old 24-08-2013, 16:30   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

Why this one? It's not that cheap and from the history may be in very poor condition.

Hunter 34s are a fairly common boat. There are a lot available.

As a general rule it's way better to pay more for a good condition boat than to buy one in poor condition and then to try to fix it.

This one sounds good but, as with all boats, survey is necessary to determine real condition.

Old 24-08-2013, 16:35   #100
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Why this one? It's not that cheap and from the history may be in very poor condition.

Hunter 34s are a fairly common boat. There are a lot available.

As a general rule it's way better to pay more for a good condition boat than to buy one in poor condition and then to try to fix it.

This one sounds good but, as with all boats, survey is necessary to determine real condition.

Depending on the survey. Mine missed more than he found.
Old 24-08-2013, 16:50   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well, let me tell you what happened to my 31' Hunter when we did that.

We were in the Manatee River approaching channel marker 9 when it happened, but if you've never been on the Manatee River, it's a wide, deep and shallow mouth. Even in the channel it's not all that deep.

We had 4' waves and had lost the mainsail to a piece of hardware that failed. It was secured in the lazy jack, and we were goin' like blazes just on the headsail.

But the water was rough and confused, and the waves were close together. Somehow the stern of the boat dropped, but the bow stayed up. She came down hard on the rudder and bent the shaft 30. What *I* think happened is that a wave at the stern broke while the bow stayed elevated by another wave, and also that big, powerful headsail, I think, helped hold the bow up. It was a great sail until then ...

I was bounced right out of my seat by the concussion. I really would have been in a world of hurt except that I had a very strong male friend with me. The forward edge of the rudder was jammed up against the hull, but we only had to make two more moderate turns to get to our anchorage, and he was able to muscle it through. If he hadn't been there, I would have been out there in rough water, no steering, and shallows on both sides. That would have been a good time to quickly drop a stern hook, I think ...

When we pulled the rudder, the shaft had been bent 30. The actual fiberglass rudder was intact. Someone even read it with a moisture meter and could find no water in the rudder.

I will never, ever again sail this boat just on the headsail in shallow water.

That's what led to me being towed the next day without steering as mentioned in another thread. I now realize I know FOUR people with Hunters who have had major rudder loss of some kind, because although the fellow out in the Gulf built his boat, he started with a Hunter hull.
Don't you think this had more to do with shallow water than the headsail?
Old 24-08-2013, 17:26   #102
cruiser

Quote:
Don't you think this had more to do with shallow water than the headsail?

It wasn't all that shallow. We were in the channel. Certainly the water conditions had something to do with it, but I also think the sail, which is a 135 and a real workhorse, played a role. I won't risk it in the future. Out in open sea, sure, but in a channel, near shallow water? I will just say "sailing done for the day" and turn on the engine. In fact I had just said that to my friend who was at the helm, but he didn't have a boat at the time and wanted to keep sailing. Of course the depth sounder was all over the place with the waves, but we were well within the channel. We really didn't have time to change events between when I said it and when she bottomed out.

Something very similar happened to a friend of mine who happens to have the same boat, in the ICW in Sarasota Bay. He was also in the channel. Another fellow I know lost his rudder recently. He has the 34'. I haven't had a chance to talk to him, so I don't know what happened.

I also think avid sailors will sometimes do riskier things on your boat than they would on your own. He was "in the zone" and didn't want to stop.
Old 24-08-2013, 18:06   #103

Ah, okay, I see what happened now. Yes, I agree, using the iron jenny to get home the last little bit is prudent in those conditions. When we are coming home after a long day on the water and a bit tired we play it safe anymore. We live at the end of a long sound in BC and the wind builds to un manageable strengths on the summer afternoons. Its called inflow, anyway, the kite surfers love it and we use them as out guide. When we are a couple of miles off and there are a 60+ surfers out playing, we drop sail and motor in.
Old 24-08-2013, 19:32   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Ah, okay, I see what happened now. Yes, I agree, using the iron jenny to get home the last little bit is prudent in those conditions. When we are coming home after a long day on the water and a bit tired we play it safe anymore. We live at the end of a long sound in BC and the wind builds to un manageable strengths on the summer afternoons. Its called inflow, anyway, the kite surfers love it and we use them as out guide. When we are a couple of miles off and there are a 60+ surfers out playing, we drop sail and motor in.

I call it "the most expensive tuition I ever paid."

Yeah do those kite surfers all have each other on IM on their phones? That happens here, too. The wind picks up and all the little boats head for shore, and the next thing you know some patch of water off the Skyway Bridge has dozens of kite surfers! It's really quite a sight. they come very close to each other but seem to never hit -- and their kites never get tangled! If I were younger and stronger it looks like a lot of fun.

I had a woman on my boat once who had been a kite surfer until rheumatoid arthritis put an end to it. But she was able to sail, and although she had had only the briefest amount of instruction, just had rock solid instincts about what to do -- for instance, when we ran aground, she noticed the wind shift from the west to the south. I was so busy with other things I hadn't spotted it. that meant we could put out the Genny and let it help us get off -- and it did. (I have swept-back rudders so the main wouldn't be any help with the wind directly behind us.) It was her idea.
Old 25-08-2013, 05:03   #105

Quote:
Sailed from Cabot head to lion head in 40 knots back wind, almost bare pole my boat was flying...the next day someone advised me to go with only the jib next time, on that same day when rounding Owen strait I again hit winds in the 35 knots dropped the main and reeled my jib, it was perfect sailing....live and learn!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-500162680.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	65975

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: