Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 14:59   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Was it a Nordic or an IF?

If it was an IF then in my book you have stepped down.

?

b.
It was a whitby continental25. And in my book still a big step down....it's still mine!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1690178353.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	65919
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 15:09   #77

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3408752205.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	65920
Boat is filthy and a mess, but will post photos soon enough..... I finally got the story right, owner died and widow wasn't able ti sale the boat she loved, it was neglected and some rain water accumulated in the bilge, other then mold there's nothing wrong with this boat= lucky me!
Old 23-08-2013, 15:27   #78
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
Suspicions why torture me, la la la la la lalala.... No need to wary she's very happy with her choice, me i don't mind until the dang thing starts turning in circles every time the wind picks up.....il keep the Grampian close hihi
I only said that because of this comment:

Quote:
.Now befor anyone says it out load , I am considering changing the women or leaving without her.....
Usually those thoughts indicate trouble coming down the pipe - and the thoughts are not all one sided, even if one side thinks they are..........

But if going for broke , IMO should go for the larger boat - partly because she wants that! but also because whilst couples have travelled far and wide on smaller (some even happily ) nonetheless the odds of both being happy aboard a boat 24/7 with another person get better with a bigger boat, at least bigger than 26 foot (it's a room to swing a cat thing).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 15:58   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I only said that because of this comment:

Usually those thoughts indicate trouble coming down the pipe - and the thoughts are not all one sided, even if one side thinks they are..........

But if going for broke , IMO should go for the larger boat - partly because she wants that! but also because whilst couples have travelled far and wide on smaller (some even happily ) nonetheless the odds of both being happy aboard a boat 24/7 with another person get better with a bigger boat, at least bigger than 26 foot (it's a room to swing a cat thing).
Trust me I'm the victim here, the odds that we part is the same as the next ice age... This being said, if I could only sneak my way across the pond 6 months or so ( alone) I'd still have 40+ years to endure the admiral... This thinking is scaring me back to the folkboat..
Old 23-08-2013, 16:23   #80
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
We have seen a few sailboats in that size rang and there's no getting around the hunter34. It's designed to Win hearts.
Beautiful woodwork and cabinetry well laid out interior, full of opening hatches and ports. Pour Grampian 26 can't compete in the woman's eye, hec it even got my vote!

I think Hunter "gets" in a very concrete way that any time the buyer is married, they're selling to two people who may have vastly different experiences, understanding and expectations about sailing. All sailboats are a compromise. We say that over and over. i think it's interesting how Hunter uses that fact of life.

One thing about sailing my Hunter, tho, can be pretty unnerving to new sailors. She really likes to heel -- a lot. So if I have someone who hasn't sailed before, I kind of gauge their reactions to a little heel, and see if they say "Whoo hoo!" or "MAMA!!!!"
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 16:28   #81
cruiser

Quote:
Mine has a cut out transom...love it

Attachment 65892

My first sailboat was an Irwin 25', only 8' wide. She sailed a lot like the Hunter, only on a smaller scale. She had a cut-down transom, and I really prefer that for a small sailboat. I see what friends with outboards go through with rising engine mounts and whatnot. Only thing was that the cutout prevented me from turning the motor fully, so when motoring, I had to steer with both the motor and the tiller. I put an extension on the outboard (just a piece of pvc pipe, but it worked), but it was pretty uncomfortable if I had to motor for any length of time by myself.

I never had waves sneak out from behind and dump on the motor. I guess it's possible. The most I ever had her in were 5' waves, and we stayed well away from the shore, so they weren't breaking.
Old 23-08-2013, 16:31   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

I think Hunter "gets" in a very concrete way that any time the buyer is married, they're selling to two people who may have vastly different experiences, understanding and expectations about sailing. All sailboats are a compromise. We say that over and over. i think it's interesting how Hunter uses that fact of life.

One thing about sailing my Hunter, tho, can be pretty unnerving to new sailors. She really likes to heel -- a lot. So if I have someone who hasn't sailed before, I kind of gauge their reactions to a little heel, and see if they say "Whoo hoo!" or "MAMA!!!!"
This will be in contrast to my Grampian, she's pretty stiff... Can I ask you something , I've noticed that non of the bulkheads are attached to the hull, wonder if it gets annoying whenever the hull twist?
Old 23-08-2013, 16:32   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkctc View Post
Size is nice when u are relaxing, but seaworthiness is crucial when you are traveling. Hunter is a very nice boat, but I would prefer at least a modified full keel to feel safe. Coming from a woman who felt the same way about my husband's smaller boats, having a bigger boat helps the feelings of space, but if the claustrophobia is resulting from a lack of security and control, size will not make things better. Sailing lessons only made me more aware of dangers. It took me 25 years to say, I don't want to cruise but I will meet you there.

I agree with you. And in addition, that era of Hunters tend to squat on their rear end. Between that and the fin keel -- you can turn them in a very tight space; I basically parallel parked mine once with only 2 feet to work in -- but it makes them bow tender. They can be a wild ride, and I wouldn't take mine further than help could reach me. I could see that unfolding for me personally since I didn't even start really sailing until I was 62, but I think if I were younger I would still say the same thing 10 years from now. My Hunter has not tried to broach so far (but I know a lot more than when I started out on my Irwin), but my little Irwin tried to do it repeatedly one day (the actions of my crew mate didn't help any).

It's a scary thing, to see your boat turning on itself like that.
Old 23-08-2013, 16:33   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
34' = Big Boat

tell me another funny one

I think we all translated "big" to "bigger." There used to be a sign at my sailing club on the porch: "Mine's bigger!"
Old 23-08-2013, 16:35   #85

Quote:

My first sailboat was an Irwin 25', only 8' wide. She sailed a lot like the Hunter, only on a smaller scale. She had a cut-down transom, and I really prefer that for a small sailboat. I see what friends with outboards go through with rising engine mounts and whatnot. Only thing was that the cutout prevented me from turning the motor fully, so when motoring, I had to steer with both the motor and the tiller. I put an extension on the outboard (just a piece of pvc pipe, but it worked), but it was pretty uncomfortable if I had to motor for any length of time by myself.

I never had waves sneak out from behind and dump on the motor. I guess it's possible. The most I ever had her in were 5' waves, and we stayed well away from the shore, so they weren't breaking.
Been in all kinds of seas in the georgianne bay, no problem either....this boat is stiff and confident inspiring , she's sail good too!
Old 23-08-2013, 16:35   #86
cruiser

Quote:
This will be in contrast to my Grampian, she's pretty stiff... Can I ask you something , I've noticed that non of the bulkheads are attached to the hull, wonder if it gets annoying whenever the hull twist?

You mean creaking and groaning? I've never heard it on my '83 Hunter. Of course, if the water's like that, I'm in the cockpit, not the cabin ...
Old 23-08-2013, 16:38   #87

Quote:

You mean creaking and groaning? I've never heard it on my '83 Hunter. Of course, if the water's like that, I'm in the cockpit, not the cabin ...
Good cause I hear that on the Grampian
Old 23-08-2013, 16:50   #88
cruiser

Quote:
Good cause I hear that on the Grampian

In the cockpit?

I should also say that since I live on my boat I have been in the cabin through some pretty wicked storms, including two tropical storms (Debby really bounced the boat around) and one "pop up" summer storm that was quite fierce -- it ran eight boats aground just in one small area of Boca Ciega Bay. Boats were aground all over the place.

I was also on the boat while hauled out in 35 mph winds. The boat bumped a little on its stands, and THAT was so unnerving that I left for the night and went to a motel, but I still didn't hear any creaking and groaning. It seems to me that my deck-to-hull joint is extremely solid. I trust the toe rail. The forward cleats are on the toe rail, and I have been (ahem ...) towed ... well, more than once, but once under very trying conditions because it was rough and I had no steering. The toe rail is stout.
Old 23-08-2013, 17:41   #89

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
It was a whitby continental25. And in my book still a big step down....it's still mine!

Attachment 65919
Then not a folkboat.

Looking at the other image I am beginning to understand why you want that Hunter.

I actually think Hunters are best. Call it a sudden change of heart.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 17:55   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Attachment 65920
Boat is filthy and a mess, but will post photos soon enough..... I finally got the story right, owner died and widow wasn't able ti sale the boat she loved, it was neglected and some rain water accumulated in the bilge, other then mold there's nothing wrong with this boat= lucky me!

Is that your wife? Pretty! By the way, I use panels of cloth that snap on to cover those shelves when I'm sailing. Those era Hunters love to heel, and things can go flying.

The first time I sailed her any distance, we were on a starboard tack the entire way. We went below after we anchored and found a triangle of my belongings along the bottom of the port bunk. It was pretty funny!