Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2013, 15:51   #16
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Petersburg
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,880
If you can afford it, move up.


The 34 will offer more room/comfort and is still an easy size to single hand. Although I am partial to Tartans...
__________________

__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 15:59   #17
Registered User
 
Travelnik's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nanny State
Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Posts: 593
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
.... However to this day the sailboat trip has been mine alone, not much interest from wife and my teens...
I think this really sums it all up.

You're the only one really interested. A bigger boat will probably not get anyone else really worked up anyway, and you'll still be a solo sailor with a more expensive boat to keep up with.

Keep what you have unless someone else in the family really starts to show an interest in sailing with you.

Just my dos centavos, amigo!

__________________

__________________
Dean - 22' Westerly Nomad - Travelnik
A 14-foot mini-cruiser is minimalist. A 19ft is comfortable, and anything much larger than a 25 borders on ostentatious.
Travelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 16:07   #18
Registered User
 
Incentive's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post

I think this really sums it all up.

You're the only one really interested. A bigger boat will probably not get anyone else really worked up anyway, and you'll still be a solo sailor with a more expensive boat to keep up with.

Keep what you have unless someone else in the family really starts to show an interest in sailing with you.

Just my dos centavos, amigo!

Voila! My thinking exactly... Having little experience on a bigger boat won't make me a good seaman
__________________
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 16:41   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
Here's my new delema....been sailing on my grampian26 all summer, it's been a wonderfully enriching experience ..... I love my boat and see no reasons why I couldn't sail to the tropics next year..... Only problem is the wife, she feels clostrofobic and wants no part of this boat.... However she has set her hart on a hunter 34ft and says she would travel anywhere with me on that boat....Now befor anyone says it out load , I am considering changing the women or leaving without her..... Nevertheless your opinions might give her right of way and stir me in the hunter game, who knows?
Ps. If you respond pleas give me your reason?

I think you go with the bigger boat that your wife likes. A bigger boat AND your wife is agreeing? What's not to like?

That boat is still well within the single-handing zone, if need be, but has a lot longer range.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 16:44   #20
Registered User
 
Incentive's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

Assuming it is an older Hunter that has spent most of its' life sailing around in coastal/near coastal water where there are LOTS of things to hit, has it sunk?

Is there a something you are planning of having to hit, or are you just looking for the unsinkable boat (like the Titanic)?
Yes the boat has sunk before but not from a hit, she sunk at duc in NJ storm and was auctioned thereafter ...
At sea I have absolutely no intent on hitting anything and will make everything possible to avoid this....however knocking on the bow at the water line with my bare knuckles , can't help wondering what would happen when hitting even an average sea turtle?
__________________
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 16:50   #21
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
Here's my new delema....been sailing on my grampian26 all summer, it's been a wonderfully enriching experience ..... I love my boat and see no reasons why I couldn't sail to the tropics next year..... Only problem is the wife, she feels clostrofobic and wants no part of this boat.... However she has set her hart on a hunter 34ft and says she would travel anywhere with me on that boat....Now befor anyone says it out load , I am considering changing the women or leaving without her..... Nevertheless your opinions might give her right of way and stir me in the hunter game, who knows?
Ps. If you respond pleas give me your reason?

Here's the thing: IMO Hunters were DESIGNED to appeal to "the little woman." In my galley, there's a "cabinet" for dishes with slot -- shaped like the dish they're supposed to hold. I suppose it's also to keep them from flying about but it's hard to use. But at first glance, it looks great. A cabinet space with a secure latch would have made so much more sense.

The cockpit is smaller so the cabin space can be larger.

But will a Hunter safely and comfortably go where you want to go? I love my Hunter, but i learned to sail at age 62 and won't be crossing wide oceans.

If your wife is important to you, then you should compromise on a boat. It doesn't have your Grampian and it doesn 't have to be her Hunter. But if you love each other, you should try to find a boat you will both love, not each of your dig your heels in and insist on "my choice."
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 16:54   #22
o_q
Registered User
 
o_q's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 291
Re: What would you do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Unless both of you are willing to work to improve your relationship, go on the boat you already have; the (probably inevitable) breakup that ensues will cost both of you less.

Over the years, we've seen many "water soluble romances", a cruise, or many cruises will not heal a sick relationship. Only both of the parties, working together can do that. That's sort of a bottom line.

Successful cruising demands a lot of intra-partner affection, respect, cooperation, and trust, plus the willingness to give the "other guy" lots of emotional space when needed.
I agree with this. In my experience, when someone complains about something, and especially when it has never been a problem before, she's probably getting tired of me.

Be your own man. Do what you set out to do. If she doesn't stay/follow, you are not the man she wanted, and that's okay.
__________________
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 16:57   #23
Registered User
 
Incentive's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

I think you go with the bigger boat that your wife likes. A bigger boat AND your wife is agreeing? What's not to like?

That boat is still well within the single-handing zone, if need be, but has a lot longer range.
That just seems like the perfect picture and no question it is very tempting indeed.... I have questions in this regard, would a bigger boat really offer longer range? I was to invest in safety items like a drogue, storm jib, extra reef on main, double head stays with proper sails and various mods to stop possible water ingress... To me those things made sens....would a larger boat allow me to do without these things?
__________________
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 17:06   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,352
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Well... if "sailing to the tropics" means the Bahamas and down island.... the Grampian should be plenty of boat. But I think Ann.T.Cate has it right, if going depends on having a certain boat to your partner... just because it's bigger......... I smell trouble brewing.... You need to figure out if she really wants to go or not before doing anything. Nothing wrong with a bigger boat after all! faster, more roomy.... are you looking a gift horse in the mouth? or is it an excuse she's using because her heart's not really into it?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 17:07   #25
Registered User
 
Incentive's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post

I agree with this. In my experience, when someone complains about something, and especially when it has never been a problem before, she's probably getting tired of me.

Be your own man. Do what you set out to do. If she doesn't stay/follow, you are not the man she wanted, and that's okay.
I love it when others dare to go out on a limb and speech freely about real things of life.... My view is that she sees the boat as a menace and just can't stand the thot of me sailing off to never never land ... Because that was my plan before we have met in December .... So on boat or an other probably wont change a thing?
__________________
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 17:40   #26
o_q
Registered User
 
o_q's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 291
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
I love it when others dare to go out on a limb and speech freely about real things of life.... My view is that she sees the boat as a menace and just can't stand the thot of me sailing off to never never land ... Because that was my plan before we have met in December .... So on boat or an other probably wont change a thing?
It's hard to say if getting a bigger boat will change her mind, so you really can't rely on your decision to keep you guys together. However, if a bigger boat is going to improve your life for sure, I'd say go for it. Because if it doesn't work out between you two, you wont have any regrets. However, if you can't afford it now, and you can't wait, don't let her stop you. You and your dreams will last longer than any relationship.
__________________
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 18:50   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
Oh yes there are much better boats agreed, but the hunter is a steal at $12.000 with all the goodies....I have to think hard on this one!
And above that, the word circumnavigation appeared too.

Uhmmmm, circumnavigating what, an island?

It may be difficult to find a 34' boat @ 12k (with all the goodies ...) that would not require another Xk to make her a proper cruising tool.

Not to say such deals are not possible, just preciously rare.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 19:05   #28
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
That just seems like the perfect picture and no question it is very tempting indeed.... I have questions in this regard, would a bigger boat really offer longer range? I was to invest in safety items like a drogue, storm jib, extra reef on main, double head stays with proper sails and various mods to stop possible water ingress... To me those things made sens....would a larger boat allow me to do without these things?

First of all, if you're going to get "a drogue," I would suggest getting two. then if your steering goes out, you can hang one off each jib winch and steer, sort of. It's not great but it's a lot better than nothing.

If you're going to cruise you should have all those other things (I don't know about double headstay), but you should have your boat as seaworthy as possible. You don't want to have to buy these things, say, in Jamaica, and have to pay all the extra shipping. I say go out prepared.

The Grampian looks like a stout little boat, but it is a small cabin for two people. I read something online when I was considering moving aboard. I'm single, so it wasn't an issue for me, but someone asked the man, "What do you and your wife do when you're mad at each other?" He said, "I get in the car and go for a drive."

No boat would be big enough for the two of them. You have to be able to choose to let things drip, one person go up to the bow and the other person accept that one's need for some "away" time -- and not follow him or her.

It can be really hard to do that instead of stomping to the same place and saying, "And another thing ...!"

In other words, look at how you handle tensions when they occur. How will that play out on a boat?
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 19:08   #29
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
I love it when others dare to go out on a limb and speech freely about real things of life.... My view is that she sees the boat as a menace and just can't stand the thot of me sailing off to never never land ... Because that was my plan before we have met in December .... So on boat or an other probably wont change a thing?

I have an idea for you.

CHARTER a boat -- and for two weeks. Don't do it halfway. Do it on a boat you think you could both live with. It may be that you need a true state room with a door that one person can close and politely say, "Please just give me a little space for a little while ..."

Test it before you both jump in with both feet.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 19:10   #30
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
And above that, the word circumnavigation appeared too.

Uhmmmm, circumnavigating what, an island?

It may be difficult to find a 34' boat @ 12k (with all the goodies ...) that would not require another Xk to make her a proper cruising tool.

Not to say such deals are not possible, just preciously rare.

b.

And (and this comes from the owner of a Hunter) -- is THAT Hunter the boat you want to circumnavigate in? I'm not sure, but I know I sure as Hades wouldn't circumnavigate on my 31' Hunter. She's just too tender. She's not a bluewater boat.

Of course, she's a hoot and a holler for the coastal cruising I do, like riding a stallion sometimes, but that's not necessarily a good thing in bad weather.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Safe Sailing Wind Speeds for 26ft Full Keel Boat canadianllama Seamanship & Boat Handling 46 29-06-2017 16:06
34ft. Scheldenschow yacht Philsmith Monohull Sailboats 22 05-01-2012 09:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.