Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2008, 13:42   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
so do you think i could make it to the bahamas on a 26 footer? im comin from mass. i was thinking i could take my time and hug the east coast all the way down to the bahamas. any ideas on what makes of boats?
I'm from Mass too and if I were trying to do what you describe - I'd just shop and buy a small 23'-25' centerboard style trailer sailer already in Florida. And use all the extra time enjoying the Bahamas!

Compared to Mass, small sail boats are a dime a dozen in FL, shopping carefully and starting to look right away - I think I could find a usable 23'-25' boat for less than $5,000 easily.

If you can find a 21' or 23' Wharram catamaran (safest offshore boat in that size range in my opinion) my guess is you'll buy it for $2.5k or $3.5k if it has great sails and equipment.

Best of luck to you, you'll never regret you decision!

Cheers,
tom151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 14:08   #17

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
I can't imagine what vessel I could purchase for 10 to 15k that I'd take to Bermuda.
You could easily find a 28' Pearson Triton for 6,000 and spend 5,000 to make it fit for a passage to Bermuda. The Triton, which has circumnavigated the globe twice in the 80s and 90s, is quite capable of making a trip to Bermuda (or anywhere for that matter).
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 03:56   #18

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
You could probably get a warrram cat that would do the job. It won't be super fast but if in fair condition should be seaworthy
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 19:48   #19
kai

should i look for tiller or wheel? i know that the tiller will save wieght and have a less of a chance of any problems with steering but isnt wheel steering more comfortable for longer trips? i have now rethought the time and im thinking of going for about 3 months.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 22:46   #20

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Hey!

With your budget you can't afford to be picky regarding the steerign device. It will also be difficult to find a boat of that size with wheel steering. It's both easier and cheaper to install an autopilot or a windvane on a tiller, and you will want either one of them if you are going cruising. Especially if you're going single handed. It doesn't matter if a wheel is more comfortable, you will want the windvane or autopilot to do the steering for you anyway. A tiller doesn't require as much maintenance as awheel steering.

Conclusion; don't be picky. If you find the right boat, buy it regardless of the steering device. If you can choose, choose tiller.

/Hampus
Old 04-06-2008, 12:12   #21
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
You could easily find a 28' Pearson Triton for 6,000 and spend 5,000 to make it fit for a passage to Bermuda. The Triton, which has circumnavigated the globe twice in the 80s and 90s, is quite capable of making a trip to Bermuda (or anywhere for that matter).
thanks triton318,
i looked into this boat and i must say its perfect for what im thinking about doing. plus it has some beautiful lines. i happened to look though craigslist and found a triton hull #629 near where i live. fate? i think so. it has a new main, jib, and selfsteering windvane that have never seen the water. the guy whos elling has owned it for 20 years but it has been under a tarp for acouple of years. hopefully i will look at it soon. as long as the money comes together i think i found my boat.
-kai
Old 04-06-2008, 12:37   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I think the proposition that you search for/purchase your boat in Florida is a really great idea. There are a ton of sailboats down here in your price range. I might add as a suggestion to your shopping list something like the Morgan 30.

Re: tiller vs wheel IMO you would be much better off with the tiller for the following reasons.

1. You're looking at a relatively small boat - a wheel takes up a LOT of cockpit space.

2. Since you anticipate single handing you will most definitely want an autopilot. A tiller autopilot is much less expensive than a wheel pilot.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:57   #23

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
IMO you would be much better off with the tiller...

Plus, anything that lowers complexity, and thus maintenance (not that wheel steering usually needs a whole lot…), can’t be all bad…
Old 05-06-2008, 09:59   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Kai:

On the higher end of the range you can also look at the Yankee 30 and the Rawson 30. Good luck with it. When I got out of college actually before I finished my last class (it was an independent study) I was sailing to Mexico on race boats. That semester I did about three trips up and down the coast. In Mexico I met a guy goign to Tahiti and in Tahiti I met a boat goign to Australia. Great Trips Great Fun but it isn't all roses. Have fun with what you decide to do and keep us posted.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20   #25

What you need is a little experience in seamanship and navigation more than anything else. Get a ride aboard a boat, with a skipper that has experience, and learn the ropes. In any ocean sail the skipper's ability is more important than how the boat is steered. If gaining experience is not possible, be sure to carry a liferaft and an EPIRB...

Best of luck...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 14:03   #26
kai

ive been thinking. if i can get the boat this summer i could start off slow and just sail after work, to marthas vineyard for the weekends, and then make a trip upto maine for 2-3 weeks to get some more experience and get familiar with the boat and sailing longer distances. Im thinkin that this would help me to gear up for a longer trip to bermuda, bahamas, or the caribbean.
-kai
Old 05-06-2008, 14:15   #27

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carouse View Post
you will need a lot more than $15K to by a decent boat as well as have sufficent funds to cruise with.Try getting on a boat as crew.
I disagree. My $6000.00 (Six Thousand) dollar boat just made it to San Diego from Hawaii with no problems at all. There are all sorts of deals out there if you look. Try at a Marina's impound dock. You might be suprised what you find.
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 14:46   #28
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Dreamer View Post
I disagree. My $6000.00 (Six Thousand) dollar boat just made it to San Diego from Hawaii with no problems at all. There are all sorts of deals out there if you look. Try at a Marina's impound dock. You might be suprised what you find.
what kind of boat do you have?
-kai
Old 05-06-2008, 14:59   #29
kai

nevermind silly question.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:30   #30

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
I can't imagine what vessel I could purchase for 10 to 15k that I'd take to Bermuda...
I doubt if I’d attempt a even a short blue-water trip on a $15K boat (or $115K, for that matter) straight outa the box, but a $5K boat with a like sized refit and some get acquainted sailing wouldn’t seem ridiculous… I know charter captains ferry unknown boats all the time, but for the average skipper getting to know the boat seems far more important than the size of the second-mortgage it took to buy it…

Nothing against pricier boats, been-there-did-that, but there are an astonishing number of serviceable boats that can be had for a song at many marinas… brokers probably won’t have `em on their listing sheets, so one has to scrounge, but they aren’t particularly hard to find either… A guy at our marina picked up a nicely serviceable Bristol 29 for $1K, and we got our little rascal for quite a bit less than that… the best I heard was the guy who was next to me on the hard over the spring – one-dollar ($1.00) for a Caliber-28… of course all need some TLC, but isn’t that what its about anyway… (and BTW, all are back in the water now...)