Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 14:10   #1

What to look for in an ocean worthy craft

I've enjoyed sailing a long time but only lake sailing. I'm looking to get a craft and learn to sail the Oregon coast and eventually into south America or beyond. I'm on a budget and I'm hunting craigslist. What do I look for? Any models or size recommendations? Also what part of the country should I be looking on craigslist locally or is there a better area if I wanted to go pick one up. It'd probably start out me though I'd take on some crew members who knew what they were doing before I made the plunge to the open sea. My dream has always been to live out of port and to travel the world. Any advice, book recommendations or craft specifications and what to look for would be helpful or any other resources.
jerblaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 14:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to look for in an ocean worthy craft

Welcome to CF.
There's a lot of different types of ocean going craft out there.. it will however boil down to your preconceptions and the voice you hear loudest..
I've crossed in boats not deemed ocean by many.. Bene's, Hunter.. its down to what you feel comfortable with and is easy to operate shorthanded..
If your solo or two up and don't want to heavy dues stick at around just under 12 metres or 37ft.. keeps you under the price jump.. the state of the boat is more important than any toys.. hull, rigging, sails.. ground tackle... nice easy to live in below deck spaces with hand holds.
Everything else is ancillary, you've got a sail boat ready to go..
Buy the toys in St Martin..

This is where I find out he's talking Cats..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 17:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: What to look for in an ocean worthy craft

How much have you really sailed? The lower half of the Columbia (from Portland to the banks) is full of boats that you could sail the world with, but I am not sure you know what you are looking for. If you want something concrete, tell me how good you are with boats and what is your budget- for the boat and before sailing off.
Boaty- there are boats to be had here all along the docks and in the boatyard. Oregon is still in the recession. I'm talking 35 k for a sound (but needs love) 35-40 footer!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 19:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerblaster23 View Post
I'm on a budget and I'm hunting craigslist. What do I look for? Any models or size recommendations?

Also what part of the country should I be looking on craigslist locally or is there a better area if I wanted to go pick one up. It'd probably start out me though I'd take on some crew members who knew what they were doing before I made the plunge to the open sea.
Everyone is on a budget -for some it's a million bucks, for others it's $5k.

If you are searching craigslist I presume you are more towards the $5k end of the scale.

You say you want to add crew so that adds crew space needs including the food and provisions for same.

It gets complicated and expensive quickly. However, many young men have gone to sea in small boats.

As important as sailing skills you will need self reliance, some mechanical skills and some problem solving skills.

Read this thread about a couple that crossed the Atlantic in a small boat. Go read their blog as well.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-128627.html
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 22:16   #5

Boat: Olson 40

Sounds like you are a beginner, running on dreams. Good for you! Do it!

Make sure its a FUN boat to sail. If its not fun, its tough to put up with the sometimes extreme discomfort and pain. So avoid most boats that are called cruisers.

Make sure its a very, very SIMPLE boat. Everything on a boat, from the most trivial cotter pin to the most hideously complex and failure prone diesel (not simply the engine, but all the stuff absolutely essential to that engine), needs maintenance, needs attention, and if you don't see the hidden crevasse corrosion in that stainless steel thingamajig (shroud, toggle, rudder post, ...) then your life will truly suck when it fails "without warning." Only consider very, very simple, rudimentary boats. Every single thing, every piece of "turn key world cruising equipment" will make you weep.

Make sure it is in as PERFECT condition as you can find. Do not ever, ever, buy a project. A boat can be in better than new condition at any age. The cost to keep a boat in better than new condition is never realized at selling time, so getting a well loved, perfect boat is the only kind of deal to close. Consider absolutely nothing else, no matter how little money you have.

Respect your budget. Buy perfect in your budget. Never, ever buy for size. A tiny boat can be sailed around the world. A boat bigger than you can afford will end up rotting at anchor, a total piece of s--t that will embarrass and pain you to the bottom of your soul, if it does not literally kill you.

If your budget is tight, as it seems to be, think like someone who is hiking the Pacific Coast Trail. Don't think like someone who intends to go yachting to Monaco.

Then GO. Its wonderful, the best way to live.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jerblaster23.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:05   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jerblaster23.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote