Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2016, 11:15   #16

Re: What To Buy And Where To Buy It? $45,000 In My Pocket..

If you want a boat designed for the Pacific, seaworthy, and easy to sail, look into the old ct 41s. Find one that has been updated and refinished(decks, cabin, masts). Tons of room, easy to maintain if you paint all the topside woodwork, and many have extra thick teak decks or new fiberglass decks. Otherwise go to the Hans Christian yard to see about a good used 38 cutter.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 13:30   #17

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

Boat prices are in the toilet here in the USA, many people cant get even close to their asking price. Boats are listed for months and months on yacht world and ebay. Then finally prices will start dropping week after week after week. Probably, worth keeping an eye on.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 13:42   #18

Boat: Macgregor 26S

There is a Hunter 42 on the hard, owner in Scotland. It is located in Madison, WI. Call Kris's Custom Sewing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jhhastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 14:14   #19

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I don't know where you are or how far you are willing to travel. But I bought my Kettenburg in Long Beach, Calif. and moved it to Everett, WA. I found the boats are cheaper by 2-3 K in Calif. When I get ready to sell I will take it to Alaska as I have heard and seen from adds they are more expensive there. If you are near San Diego they are reported cheaper there as many people start out from the NW and get that far South and decide cruising is not for them. Much like if buying a RV head for Arizona as old people get there and one of them will die and the spouse heads back up North to be near kids and grandkids and will sell their RV cheap. If you can head off shore I am sure there are lots of good boats on the hard to choose from. Do not be afraid to offer a below market price as a lot of folks just want to get rid of the money pit. But buyer beware, be careful and get a good survey! Another thing to consider is that in the US it may be easer to get good follow up on the purchase, like an American dealer may be easer to work with. Just guessing as I only have experience on my one purchase. But if you can, buy American because if you ever wish to get your 6-pak license and charter you must have an American hull.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 15:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
I don't know where you are or how far you are willing to travel. But I bought my Kettenburg in Long Beach, Calif. and moved it to Everett, WA. I found the boats are cheaper by 2-3 K in Calif. When I get ready to sell I will take it to Alaska as I have heard and seen from adds they are more expensive there. If you are near San Diego they are reported cheaper there as many people start out from the NW and get that far South and decide cruising is not for them. Much like if buying a RV head for Arizona as old people get there and one of them will die and the spouse heads back up North to be near kids and grandkids and will sell their RV cheap. If you can head off shore I am sure there are lots of good boats on the hard to choose from. Do not be afraid to offer a below market price as a lot of folks just want to get rid of the money pit. But buyer beware, be careful and get a good survey! Another thing to consider is that in the US it may be easer to get good follow up on the purchase, like an American dealer may be easer to work with. Just guessing as I only have experience on my one purchase. But if you can, buy American because if you ever wish to get your 6-pak license and charter you must have an American hull.
Not true. For 12 or fewer passengers, you can use any boat, regardless where it was made. There are some papers you must file with the Coast Guard but they are rinky dinky stuff. New rules, brah. Keep up with the times.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 18:20   #21

thanks for all the replies!

I will look closer at the vessels shared when i have a moment..

but it really sounds like USA is the place to find a great selection of boats, which translates into great deals..
JoelGSilverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 18:35   #22

Boat: Com Pac 27

If you're coming to the U.S., then strongly consider the Great Lakes (both U.S. And Canada). Great Lakes boats are hauled out every season and many kept in warm storage. A 30 year old boat will only have about 10 years of sun exposure.

Especially now, as sellers don't want to sit for another winter.
DsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 18:41   #23

Boat: PDQ 36

What about Mexico and the Sea of Cortez? Sheltered waters to become a better sailor, interesting terrain and snorkeling/swimming. There are lots and lots of mono hulls for sale there. I don't know how the prices compare to other places in the US, but you would certainly have a lot to choose from. Check out San Carlos Yacht Sales. I have heard that Florida is the best place to pick up boats cheap, can't vouch for that myself, but it's been rumored.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 19:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
What about Mexico and the Sea of Cortez? Sheltered waters to become a better sailor, interesting terrain and snorkeling/swimming. There are lots and lots of mono hulls for sale there. I don't know how the prices compare to other places in the US, but you would certainly have a lot to choose from. Check out San Carlos Yacht Sales. I have heard that Florida is the best place to pick up boats cheap, can't vouch for that myself, but it's been rumored.
that's a new idea, thanks i will research more!
Old 14-09-2016, 19:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsquareD View Post
If you're coming to the U.S., then strongly consider the Great Lakes (both U.S. And Canada). Great Lakes boats are hauled out every season and many kept in warm storage. A 30 year old boat will only have about 10 years of sun exposure.

Especially now, as sellers don't want to sit for another winter.
I've heard this before, sounds like good logic..

I wonder if boats are cheaper in Canada or USA?
Old 14-09-2016, 21:25   #26

Boat: Catalina 470

Ok, my opinion will come across as biased as Im the guy trying to sell a boat, but I'm also a guy going to buy another boat.

The problem with forum's is everyone has opinion and theres no way of the reader to qualify that person's knowledge or experience, is his/her opinion worth listening to? Obviously this applies to my opinion as well.

Another thing is that being in your position it's difficult, as you dont know what you dont know!

Buying a boat in the price range your talking about limits you to mostly old boats and you are going to hear from all the "informed"'about the old boats are Water boats">blue water boats etc. But heres the thing, and old boat is an old boat. A boat is more than just a solid hull, its made up of many systems, more often than not people buy their first boat and spend more on getting it ready than the intial purchase price. A good dinghy and outboard will set you back 5k, sails 4-5k , new windlass 1,500 etc. Its nothing to drop 40k on a old boat,easily!
If you are going to buy an old boat then buy one that someone has already dropped all that money and time into. Oh, and did I mention how small most older style boats are!Sometimes getting a boat for free is still to much!

Heres an alternative view. I'll play devils advocate. Why not look around eastern Europe for something like a barvaria 36? If you make enough offers you'll get one for approx the money you want to spend. People can carry on all they want that something like this is not a blue water boat, but Ive see this new style boat in anchorages and ports throughout all my travels, and owners dont seem to have anymore problems than the rest of us do. You get space, modern and they sail well, tanks and wiring etc ate all still good.

Also your first boat won't be your last, it never is. Your first boat is the boat you learn to cruise on. Why not buy a boat in a good safe, cheap cruising ground to hone your skills and learn what you dont know and what you want? Sell it after a couple of years and move on ,or if you like it keep going.

Just my 2 cents worth , based on money ive spent and what ive seen while cruising .

Cheers Dale.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 22:18   #27

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
What To Buy And Where To Buy It? $45,000 In My Pocket..

I think there was a pretty decent Swanson 42 for sale in Thailand recently. You might want to check it out, see if it meets many of your requirements. I remember thinking the price was ok for what was being offered. I know 42 is a bit more than you were thinking but because of the canoe stern I tend to see our 42 footer as more of 40 footer inside. At least there is no bowsprit adding to the length if the issue is mainly about mooring costs.

Edit: just realised you are pretty tall. Headroom is not great in the Swanson, depends a lot on how the cabin sole was positioned when the boat was fitted out. I am about 6'2" in my socks. I am fine at the companionway end but have to take care in the aft cabin and at the bow end of the main cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-09-2016, 22:51   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

With only $45k to spend, I would counsel you to not spend more than 30 k, keeping the rest back for necessary improvements. I think, that you will be better served by a "very" old solidly built boat, and the deal is to find one that has only one major thing wrong with it, rig, engine, or sails. If you can bring yourself to keep it a very simple boat, it should be able to take you almost everywhere you'll want to go, and you will have a grand adventure, so long as you're handy, a good "McGuyver" kind of person. There's a lot that these forums teach you and make you feel are "must haves." but in truth are "wants."

Ann, who sailed with Jim on a 30 footer from SF to HI and return, using celestial navigation and paper charts, and dead reckoning.

PS: A grandmother just completed a circumnavigation, singlehanded, on an engineless Bristol 28! using celestial.

Greater simplicity equals more time to go play. People are different, but the best thing you can do right now is get clear on wants vs. needs, and also, what acceptable risk is --for you.

PPS: your height will be quite a limiting factor, lots of older boats were built around Cockneys, it seems to me (no offense intended), and the taller men of today often have difficulty finding a boat not only with enough headroom for them, but also the berths. In addition to all the structural issues, you will need to learn about headroom and berth length.
Old 15-09-2016, 04:41   #29

I see BJ Caldwell is selling his S&S34. Good boat for a circumnavigation. I am pretty sure that no other design has as many laps on record.
It's in Hawaii and advertised on Yachthub. Gitano, asking A$40k
I'm another 34 owner. They are beautiful to sail, very sea kindly
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 07:53   #30

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

We have not yet listed our 1975 Tartan 41 "Diablo", but $45k is close to what we'd ask. She is in New Jersey. Its an S&S design for blue water, she is a stout construction, but still quick enough to get where you want to go. Diablo was a freshwater boat (lake Erie) until we bought her 4 years ago. We have been outfitting her to go live-aboard cruising including all new standing rig, 530W solar, etc. see below.. But with our family of 4, we are now considering a catamaran.

Diablo was repowered in 2008, 550hrs approx. now. always maintained with impellers, oil changes, etc.
She has AB refrigeration, hot/cold pressurized water, 3 burner stove/oven, sleeps 8.
2013:
-Anchor windlass, 150' 5/16" HT chain, 44lb plow
-Three group 29 deep cycle Lead Acid Batteries (house bank 342Ahr)
-Lowrance link-8 VHF radio with AIS
-Replaced all sanitary hose & head rebuild
2014:
-Battery monitor by Victron Energy BMV-700
-West Marine HP-310 air floor dinghy with Tohatsu 9.8
-Lowance Fish Finder X-4
-Rule 800 bilge pump and float switch
2015:
-new starter battery (bank 1)
-Boss Audio marine stereo with blue tooth
-Yandia galvanic isolator
2016:
-New standing rigging including new turnbuckles
-Rebuild mast step
-New tinned marine mast wiring
-LED steaming light with deck light, LED masthead tri-color
-cutter stay backing plate installed in mast (deck fitting to be installed)
-new VHF antenna
-replaced forward hatch seal.
-new Jib sheets, jib halyard, spin halyard, and furling line
-two Kyrocera 265W solar panels on arch
-Victron Blue Solar MPPT 50amp charge controller

Let me know if interested
zach
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote