Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2015, 11:31   #1

What to Buy

I am hoping for some opinions on what boat to purchase, a 2002 Hunter 420 or a 1990 Hylas 44. The price is the same for both. I am 6' 3" tall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Old 08-01-2015, 13:40   #2

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Re: What to Buy

um, to really be any use at all with responses... you need to give us a little more info:

What kind of sailing are you going to be doing? Where? with a crew? how many/what ability? guests? How often and how many? what kind of equipment do you want to carry (i.e. watermaker/generator/heating/offshore supplies?)? what kind of maintenance budget are you thinking about annually?

...etc etc.

those are two VERY different boats as well. how did you chose them?

bg

Old 08-01-2015, 13:55   #3

Boat: CS36T

Welcome to CF
Old 08-01-2015, 14:09   #4

Thank you for your replies. He's what we, my wife and I, will be using the vessel for, we will spend our time between the Florida Keys, Bahamas and VI. We like all the comforts of home. GenSet, Water Maker, Solar Panels, Wind Gen. A/C. We are not wealthy by any means and just the cost of the boat will be substantial for us. Also, we have 4- 5 years to make sure we and the boat are ready, and we will carry all the safety gear ilcuding life raft, EPRIBs etc. I do not know what the cost are to maintain either vessel. Any help would be great.

Thanks again
Old 08-01-2015, 14:10   #5

One las answer. i like the Hylas for it's quality but, I like the Hunter for it's comfort.
Old 08-01-2015, 14:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

The only thing the two boats have in common is both names begin with an "H".
The Hunter is the least expensive, most poorly constructed boat you can buy new or used. Pick up a phone and call a few reputable marine surveyors and ask them their opinion of the brand. This will resolve your interest in this brand.
Hylas is in another league all together. You are comparing apples and oranges.
Go on yachtworld.com and have a look at the two boats and there will be a big price difference between, say, a 1990 Hunter and 1990 Hylas the reason is quality.
Old 08-01-2015, 14:48   #7

rourkeh,

I do understand that I am comparing apples to oranges, that is why I asked for help. The hunter is a 2002, not a 1990. I also understand that the year has nothing to do with the build quality. But do I need a Hylas to cruise in the areas I mentioned? I'm not sure if people slam Hunters for no reason? Are they all really that bad? Or is it like most production items, a few ruin the rep. of all. I do not have the answers to any of these questions.
Old 08-01-2015, 14:52   #8

I'd like to add tha I can see the quality in the Hylas even though it's 25 year old.
Old 08-01-2015, 15:03   #9

If you do get down to the short strokes on the Hylas just know that if it is not in superb condition it will cost you lots and lots of money to refit it. Its a 25 year old boat and a decent one but it can break the bank to get one of these back to good condition unless it has been very well kept. I say this because you mentioned you didn't have a lot of room in the budget.
Old 08-01-2015, 19:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If you do get down to the short strokes on the Hylas just know that if it is not in superb condition it will cost you lots and lots of money to refit it. Its a 25 year old boat and a decent one but it can break the bank to get one of these back to good condition unless it has been very well kept. I say this because you mentioned you didn't have a lot of room in the budget.
That's a wise comment. I would add on the other side of the financial equation that the Hylas will probably depreciate less over time. As well, since it's more of a classic or conservative design (even in it's time), I believe it will age aesthetically better than the Hunter who's designs have pushed the envelope since the mid 80's and tend to age themselves sooner, particularly in light of the fact they update their designs much more frequently.
Old 08-01-2015, 19:24   #11

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDBOATGUY View Post
I am hoping for some opinions on what boat to purchase, a 2002 Hunter 420 or a 1990 Hylas 44. The price is the same for both. I am 6' 3" tall.

Thanks to all.
smackdaddy, is that you baby.
Old 08-01-2015, 20:15   #12

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

well, for what you're proposing to do and what you say you like (all the comforts of home), you could make it work with a huge range of boats. many would say a cat is the best choice for this; but cats come at a premium when loaded up with the gear you want - and start to lose their advantages when overloaded. Still - I bet if you can find a good ex-charter cat or even better a decent owners model cat, you'd be a lot more comfortable in the long run.

either boat (even though they are very different boats) theoretically would work fine, and I echo the comments regarding build quality comparisons between the two - but you're not going deep sea, you're not going to push either boat hard (most likely), and you are going to be spending lots of time at anchor or on moorings or in marinas in nice places.

If it truly is a choice between these two boats - which isn't necessarily true... there are dozens of models that would fit the bill - but if it is between these two: get the one that feels more comfortable to live on, and requires less work up front... which is almost certainly the Hunter, purely by age.

There is no shame in picking comfort sometimes. don't let the bluewater salties tell ya you need to have a boat that is ready to go around the horn before you leap from the keys... it isn't true! Every year, plenty of folks make it around the entire Caribbean in boats that are completely tired and clapped out.

That said, you CAN get your ass kicked between islands and the mainland too... so take it seriously, pick your weather and know your own boat and personal limits! but - either boat could do fine - comes down to the specific condition of each boat and the equipment aboard.

my 2cents...
Old 09-01-2015, 05:34   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Quote:
rourkeh,

I do understand that I am comparing apples to oranges, that is why I asked for help. The hunter is a 2002, not a 1990. I also understand that the year has nothing to do with the build quality. But do I need a Hylas to cruise in the areas I mentioned? I'm not sure if people slam Hunters for no reason? Are they all really that bad? Or is it like most production items, a few ruin the rep. of all. I do not have the answers to any of these questions.
You can cruise the Bahamas, S Florida, and the Caribbean in any boat. But why not try to do it in a boat that will hold together well over time and have some resale value when you are ready to sell?
Are Hunters really that bad? Yes they are. Leaking hatches and portlights, flimsy bulkheads, substandard wiring, poor layup, voids in the coring everywhere, poorly designed systems, and on and on. I do not dislike Hunter per say, they serve a purpose as an entry level product at an extremely low price. In every group of products be it sailboats, cars or washing machines there is going to be a variety of different quality manufacturers building to target a certain price point and market segment. Hunter targets entry level buyers with the least amount of money. To create a product to do this they cut corners, and this savings by them will cost you huge to rectify later. A new Hylas is about double the cost of a new Hunter of the same year, you need to ask yourself why. It is not that hard to figure out.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:55   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

Thanks to all.
you might try reading this thread

Bavaria or Hunter Bashing - Page 8 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 09-01-2015, 06:54   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

My vote's for the Hylas. As to Hunter quality, it's been quite a while since I looked at one. The reasons being:
- The last new one I looked at had hard spots from the bulkheads showing through the hull, & she hadn't even been splashed yet.
- On the other one I was on, when I looked inside of the chain locker, it was easy to see that the fiberglass was thinner & of poorer quality than my pre-fab shower stall at home.

Would the Hunter do the job you're talking about? Probably. Would the Hylas? Definitely.
But to me, when I see obvious structural problems on new & lightly used boats, I can't help but wonder what problems it has that I can't see. And whether or not said problems my pop up & severely bite me in the rear at Absolutely the wrong time.

That said, here are some articles which are both food for thought, & will give you some substance to draw from in making up a checklist of the key points which you desire in a boat.
This one's by Nigel Calder, who's regarded about as highly as a fella can get, when it comes to; analyzing, fixing, & installing systems on a vessel A Refit Reality Check | Cruising World

These two are from a custom designer (Kurt Hughes), & he asks some Premium questions about how a boat will be used, so that you (and he) can figure out what you need in a vessel
Kurt Hughes Multihull Design - Catamarans and Trimarans for Cruising and Charter
Kurt Hughes Multihull Design - Catamarans and Trimarans for Cruising and Charter

And the last is from a VERY well travelled & experienced couple, who teach voyaging & expeditioning. In addition to the questionnaire & list of viable vessels presented, take a look around their website. Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

BTW, I'm serious about making a checklist of features which you desire in a boat. And since you're new to the game, it'd be wise to run it past some experienced folks (for a bit of critiquing).
Needs be, do it kind of akin to the categories which you see in boat listings. And add to/expand said categories a bit.

Also, when you're pondering different boats, ask these questions (amongst others).
- If one of you is sick, can the other perform ALL of the tasks on the boat solo?
- Is piece of equipment X a common brand, that's both easy to work on, & to get parts for in most places?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: