Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 23:45   #46

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: What price should I ask for my boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
So, just explain again how a long hop taking up to four days can avoid fronts coming through each two days?
Well just do smaller hops. Day hops. You can cross to Tasmania without the need to go overnight.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 00:35   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The rhumb line distance from Eden to Wineglass is 320 miles, and to Babel island (the first good bailout place IMO) around 200. In most 30-35 foot cruising boats, Babel can be reached in 30-35 hours, and Wineglass in around 60... or less if it's a bigger boat or one pushes the boat a bit. And there are a few other bailout spots in between Babel and Wineglass, so timing on this end isn't too critical.

This means that it is quite feasible to make the passage without encountering severe weather... if you are patient. We have made the south bound passage 14 times and the northbound one 13, and never had severe weather. One northbound trip was pretty uncomfortable, with a nasty combination of W, NE and SE wave patterns, but we've never had even gale force winds (touching wood furtively). But, we are willing to hang out waiting for a favorable f/c... once for 17 days in Eden!

It is a crossing that demands some respect, but all the hoopla generated by the S2H race has distorted cruising reality IMO.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-02-2016, 00:45   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My take on this, relative to the northbound passage, it that it depends on your destination.

The people who want to go to Melbourne take different routes than those of us who head for Eden.

If you want to go to Lakes Entrance, for instance, I believe it is possible to do in day hops.

If you want to go direct to Eden, not so, for most of us, the distances are too long.

We have to put all of this in perspective, we have a dear friend Dave, who once rowed from Melbourne across to Tassie....in a row boat. So, clearly, at some time the weather was favourable for that. But, imho, one ought not to count on it. Friends once hopped up the west side of Flinders and tried to shelter at the Sisters. Suffice it to say it was violently tide-rode, and very unpleasant: 45 knots on a lee shore and contrary tide for many hours.

Ourselves, have sheltered at Babel Is. and waited for more favourable winds. But normally, for the trip north, work our way north depending on conditions, then pop off northbound. The weather gods (mischievous thugs) give you what you get and you cope.

Ann
Old 16-02-2016, 00:48   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dear Boatie,

Sorry for the above digressions! Sorry for the thread drift.

Now about the price on your Van de Stadt steelie??????

Ann
Old 16-02-2016, 00:55   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The rhumb line distance from Eden to Wineglass is 320 miles, and to Babel island (the first good bailout place IMO) around 200. In most 30-35 foot cruising boats, Babel can be reached in 30-35 hours, and Wineglass in around 60... or less if it's a bigger boat or one pushes the boat a bit. And there are a few other bailout spots in between Babel and Wineglass, so timing on this end isn't too critical.

This means that it is quite feasible to make the passage without encountering severe weather... if you are patient. We have made the south bound passage 14 times and the northbound one 13, and never had severe weather. One northbound trip was pretty uncomfortable, with a nasty combination of W, NE and SE wave patterns, but we've never had even gale force winds (touching wood furtively). But, we are willing to hang out waiting for a favorable f/c... once for 17 days in Eden!

It is a crossing that demands some respect, but all the hoopla generated by the S2H race has distorted cruising reality IMO.

Cheers,

Jim
My thoughts exactly
Old 16-02-2016, 00:57   #51

Sorry boatie i thread napped your thread

Re your boat, pop it on ebay and see what happens
Old 16-02-2016, 02:44   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What price should I ask for my boat...

Done the Ebay to test the waters.. usual response.. one bid at starting price then everyone sits waiting for someone else to move.. think next time it'll be bottom line with no Reserve Price safety..

Re the Bass Straits.. my memories are of near flat gently undulating stretch of water with seals and dolphins gambolling together.. sunshine..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 08:12   #53

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

https://boatbound.co/

This i think is what they are trying to kick off in competition to AirBnB but for boats..
Then you can always advertise on Air BnB as well...
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 09:10   #54

Two acquaintances had very bad experiences in leasing out their boats. One was a pristine restored old islander that was structurally trashed after the renter had use of it for several months. Not much you can do to recoup the damages. Court costs alone will be in the tens of thousands. So good luck. If you got to rent it out, maybe you should not have it?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:03   #55

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Two acquaintances had very bad experiences in leasing out their boats. One was a pristine restored old islander that was structurally trashed after the renter had use of it for several months. Not much you can do to recoup the damages. Court costs alone will be in the tens of thousands. So good luck. If you got to rent it out, maybe you should not have it?

I hear ya on that one.. I was in Australia for a year and had my boat on the hard in a yard in the Uk and let someone stay on board because his girl kicked him out of home. The guy was cutting things on the kitchen counter leaving cut marks in the bench. A year and a half he stayed on board with the premise of free rent if he painted the deck etc. Didnt have to be a good job as i would of done it proper on my return. The guy just didnt have the same outlook on caring for something as i do. Did nothing but what seemed like squating onboard in my absence.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 02:19   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What price should I ask for my boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Dear Boatie,

Sorry for the above digressions! Sorry for the thread drift.

Now about the price on your Van de Stadt steelie??????

Ann
No worries Ann.. it was purely rhetorical.. and to try and make StuM's day..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price