Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 22:08   #91

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Re: What Makes the Hunter a Coastal Cruiser ?

Oh I can spell by the way lol, just realized it's after 1am. Crap time for bed. I meant Deck to hull joint
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 04:52   #92
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
You could have a totally experienced crew, but if the deck to hull just is seperating there isn't to much the captain to do.

You don't feel this has anything to do with the captain and crew to use a boat with a separating hull/deck? It has everything to do with the captain/crew etc.! Whatever boat is being used it is up the the captain/crew to be sure the boat is up to it.

I would take my Hunter anywhere that doesn't have icebergs floating around. Maybe I'm just a poor captain.
Old 31-01-2012, 07:33   #93

Quote:
One is built like a brick **** house and the other is like a snap together model with no testors glue needed. Pull a through hull valve out and check the glass thickness on a Hunter compared to the Hinkley..
Hunters make the hull, put in a pan to strengthen and stiffen the hull with 5200, not model glue. Next, they thru-bolt and 5200 it to deck. In addition, from the bows waterline to the leading edge of the keel is embedded Kevlar. This new technology makes the boat extremely strong.

I do have a piece of the hull drilled out to put in sonar Fishfinder and was surprised how thick it was in the hull where it counts.
If any boat hits a reef, there will be a problem, but I know a Hunter we looked at when buying our boat whose (bad) captain hit rocks at our breakwater whose hull was dented but no water entered.

I am a Hunter owner (2000 45CC) and have only about 7,000 nm in 4 years (most when we cruised the first 2 yrs) but after some pretty big storms nothing was tweaked, the doors still closed perfectly.

The cause of most accidents is human error. If a boat is properly cared for-rigging tuned, etc it should be just fine. Paying 3-4 times the price of a Hunter gets you a beautifully crafted boat but I love my Hunter's interior, it's in great shape and I have no mortgage so I will be cruising again after 2 yrs of work to build the kitty!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:27   #94

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 37 cutter

Ya' know... everyone's right to some degree. I raced for years and that's absolutely taught me boat handling skills and seamanship. And, yea, I might be remembering wrong about the EPA thing, it might have been OSHA and it could have been other chemicals. And, then again, what I read years ago could have been a tall tale too. I think the right kinda boat for the type sailing you'll be doing, is a good approach. I kinda thought that Hunters were pretty tough, but meant for sailing in and around Florida. If my primary sailing ground was going to be out in the deep blue, yea, go for a boat that has a full keel, bullet proof, a negative capsize ration, etc. Me personally, I plan on having a cocktail each evening when possible, so island sailing it is.
Renasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:11   #95

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Don no reason to over react to my post. I think you know what I meant. So let me clarify ok. After an Excellant Captain has exhausted all means of keeping the boat in good shape, or deployed a drogue etc in a storm, lets say he did everything right but got caught in a storm that came out of nowhere. OK you with me? If the boat is built like a piece of crap the captain hold the boat together with his bare hands. I think you knew what I meant anyway but just felt the need to sound like you know it all. It's ok to have a little humility Don. Non of us are the all knowing Swamy. With that said I would not cross an ocean in a Hunter. Ok. Everyone have a nice evening have a glass of wine and take a chill.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:33   #96
CLOD

I feel I knew what you were really saying and it wasn't really that a Hickley was constructed well!

And again since I know how my Hunter is constructed I would take it anywhere I would take I would take any other fiberglass boat!

So back to the original question; as long as the model is taken into account the only thing that makes a Hunter a coastal cruiser is the skipper!

PS - I watched a video the other day of a Shannon being laid up. It looked just like the video of a Hunter being laid up.
Old 01-02-2012, 00:25   #97

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Perhaps more than any other factor, what might make any given Hunter a coastal cruiser (in the spectrum of marina queen to blue water ruler), would be the skill, judgment, experience, and preparation of its skipper and crew. Sure, boats differ in seaworthiness, build quality, design, allocation of stowage, ease of maintenance. But, many boat faults or flaws can be circumvented by careful preparation, modification, planning, and operation. And, a 100,000 ton cruise liner only needs one bad nut on the wheel to sink.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28   #98

If I were a Hunter owner that used my boat for coastal and island hopping I would be proud!
I am new to sailing and will be buying my 1st and last boat this year or next. My sport is white water kayaking and at times up to class V. All white water kayaks are designed for white water but there is a best boat for me for the tough stuff. I know for some reason even if freezing temps, I get in my dumb little boat, risk my life going down rapids and over small waterfalls. I know I need a strong boat for I am a dumb man! I am a Hans and Tayana fan. Valiant 40 looks very nice but lacks beam to live aboard for this big boy. I think for my budget I hope to but a Tayana vancouver 42 cc with no teak decks.
whiteH2Okayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02   #99
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Makes the Hunter a Coastal Cruiser ?

Hunter crosses Atlantic....

T
he saying we have always heard is “Third Time’s A Charm” – but in the case of Phil Hay-Jahans it was the fourth time. On Sunday July 31 Phil arrived in Poole, England aboard his Hunter 37. It was a voyage that started in Oriental May 8. When we heard the news both a sigh of relief and whoop of joy erupted at TownDock headquarters.

Phil’s course may not have taken quite as straight a line as shown
Long time readers of TownDock.net may recall Phil’s exploits of 2004 – in which three unsuccessful attempts to cross the Atlantic were made. Equipment or weather got Phil each time, earning him the nickname “Turnaround Phil.” Phil has a good sense of humor, and used the nickname himself in email correspondence.
He finally flew back to the UK in 2004….but returned this year, with a determination that THIS TIME he would cross the pond.
Phils departure on Sunday May 8 was….classic Phil. We received a call from Oriental resident Ann Demuth that Phil was about to depart – and with what might be described as a “minimalist approach to food stocks.”
Ann’s description was more contrite – “he only has about a week’s worth of food. He thinks he is just going to eat oatmeal the whole way!”
The TownDock.net crew attacked the pantry and quickly put together two boxes of food, while Ann did the same from her home. We all converged at Phil’s boat (at the Sailcraft yard) about a half hour later.

Phil onboard Moondance a few minutes before departure
To many a sailor Phil might appear unprepared, with a boat in marginal condition for the voyage. One bulkhead was missing, another loose. His electronics consisted of a handheld GPS with one set of batteries (“I just turn it on for one minute a day” said Phil.)
We (and others) were concerned. Phil, however, was calm and confident. He had sailed the boat in rough weather before, and while it was damaged – he had returned to tell the story.
Ann and her dog Jerimiah agreed to accompany Phil for the first part of the voyage (that would be the Oriental to Beaufort part). From Beaufort to England (the somewhat longer part of the voyage) Phil would sail alone.

Phil starts the diesel, while Ann and Jerimiah examine the shore

Departing out the channel, Phil signals a prayer for the voyage
We didn’t hear from Phil until June 19 – and it was welcome news:
Don’t cry for me Oriental…….
The truth is I´m alive and kicking, left Beaufort 0900 May 9th, arrived Horta, Azores 1235 June 19th. No autopilot for 1400 miles. one destroyed main and Yankee, no engine, one broach and injured back from broach which had me lying ahull for 7 days on painkillers.
Boats taken a hell of a beating and stood for it well, 60 miles from flores got hit by 60 knot gusting 70 winds and torrential 24 hr a day rain which lasted for four days ( wind speeds from other boats here who also got caught). Oh well…. only 1500 miles to go if any are interested well send the full tale from the UK ….. when I get there ……..lol
Have a good one guys…………… hope the weathers better for you.
Phil.

Apparently Phil stayed in the Azores for about 10 days to rest and restock, and then departed on a northeast route to England. We didn’t hear any news again until Sunday July 31 – Phil had called Ann from his cell phone…he was 3 miles off Poole, England on the south shore of the UK. We understand Phil arrived in Poole without further incident…and we trust Phil now is enjoying a well earned rest and a fine ale at a local pub.
While Phil’s approach to offshore travel may not be textbook, he and his boat “Moondance” have crossed the Atlantic. He is one of the likeable visiting characters that make Oriental the quirky place it can be, and for the record – a great cook. At least on land.
We hope our paths cross again.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45   #100

IMO all this boils down to is math. evaluate the risk, be honest about tools and skiils and there is a big factor which is desire.
In my sport the world record waterfall decent in a kayak is 186' youtube it!!

I am named after Thor Heyerdahl he "In 1969 and 1970, Heyerdahl built two boats from papyrus and attempted to cross the Atlantic Ocean from Morocco in Africa."

You too can run 200' waterfalls and crosss oceans on hunters and reedboats! It can be done!
whiteH2Okayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 21:26   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
I have been looking at used boats and have seen a large # of used Hunters on the market at relatively cheap prices. I have been told not to buy one if I plan on cruising off shore alot. Are they unsafe or do they handle poorly? What's the real story behind this good looking boat?
I read through all 7 pages of comments and nobody answered this guys question. I have a Compac 16 and would someday like to upgrade when I retire. I might want a coastal cruiser with the ability to maybe go to Hawaii if the opportunity arises. Maybe the Hunter can do it? They are cheaper. =/
Koltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 21:38   #102

Boat: challenger 32,

In a hawiian marina a large hunter arrived from USA...went full out for speed, lost rudder, lost mast.]]

I did delivery of Hunter 42 from Alameda to Pearl Harbor, enforced crew to max speeds 8kt day, 5 kt night....call me 24/7 for any sail change, or problem. Arrived in Haawaii fully intact.

Stand back aft and watch hull twist in heavy weather, listen to bulkheads grinding on hull. Extra cans of fuel or water stored in space aft on the sugar scoop stern (dangerous at sea).

Good lake, river, and near coastal boat....blue water..=.debatable. Not for me. Can be but must be very cautious and sensible in speed/sail combos. I was master/skipper, no watches, but up at least once on every watch...that saved us a couple of times....chain drive on helm ...nfailed a number of times....no sensible way to put full sized antenna. (23/29 foot verticals work, but signal is reduced due to small radiating surface)

In my humble opinion, too many other really good boats for same money. Will save you lots of heart ache in the end.. De W7KFI es 7Q7M
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 04:29   #103
CLOD

same old same old thread story

been full time cruising on my Hunter 4 years and the boat is just fine
Old 28-11-2020, 04:48   #104

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

The real story.....great boats, good value for the money. But....you have to know your boat, and how she feeds back to you. I love my hunter legend 37.5. we've been in serious weather together and done fine. My longest continuous trip was two days in the Atlantic, though, in foul weather, I might add. I have not crossed in her. I'll admit, she is tender and doesn't take the pounding as well is my friend's Jeanneau, but she sails better than many boats of her size, especially in light airs. I sail all summer when many others are at the dock.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 07:22   #105

Boat: Hunter 340

I've been sailing a Hunter 340 for 13 years. Spent 4 seasons in the Bahamas, the rest in the Great Lakes. As a coastal cruiser, she performs as advertised. She is also rated "OCEAN" by the EU. That certification that does not come easily. I might also add that the weather comes up real fast in the Great Lakes, like squall lines for example. The Hunter 340 handles squalls and other weather just fine!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter