Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-06-2008, 07:23   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post

What makes a sail boat offshore worthy

Thanks

[quote=dcstrng;168713]For years Ive kept an increasingly convoluted spreadsheet with most of those calculations (and a few Ive concocted on my own such is the plight of the arm-chair sailor) [/quote]

You start with such a broad question: What makes a sail boat offshore worthy but then totally restrict yourself to 2 boats that some may never include on their 'convoluted spreadsheet' of seaworthy boats!

Just as an example I would never go to sea on such a boat as I had a racing background and would feel, rightly or wrongly, I might be bored.
Further Island Packet yachts are extremely expensive compared to my boat and I may not be able to afford the higher upkeep of a expensive yacht so it would then be less seaworthy due to lack of maintenance.

Lastly, as others have said, there have been many weird boats sailing the world that are tight as a ...... ummmm, well tight. It may have less to do with the boat and more to do with your budget, and you

The spreadsheets on the computer don't have columns called Category X, Y and Z the 3 most important quantative or qualitive functions of: Do I Love it; Does it Feel Like Home; Does it love Me?

Happy hunting Its the best fun, and beats scrubbing the bilges

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 07:57   #17

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
A large part is the crew knowing the boat and the area thoroughly. Captain Bligh sailed across a large part of the Pacific in an open boat. The Polynesians sailed all over the Pacific in their canoes. The norse sailed across the North Sea and across the Atlantic in open boats. If a mono, make sure the keel doesn't fall off , and if a multi, reef early I have been an a few fishing boats that have sunk on subsequent voyages, and they are supposed to be seaworthy. (Maybe that means you shouldn't go on a boat that I have been on). There are a lot more that I haven't been on. Mostly it was carelessness, drunkenness, over tiredness, too much bonginess that caused the problems (such as relying on an autopilot in large quartering seas). It is easier to make a boat seaworthy than reef(er) worthy

Old 26-06-2008, 08:05   #18

Boat: n/a yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcateran View Post
A large part is the crew knowing the boat and the area thoroughly. Captain Bligh sailed across a large part of the Pacific in an open boat. The Polynesians sailed all over the Pacific in their canoes. The norse sailed across the North Sea and across the Atlantic in open boats. If a mono, make sure the keel doesn't fall off , and if a multi, reef early I have been an a few fishing boats that have sunk on subsequent voyages, and they are supposed to be seaworthy. (Maybe that means you shouldn't go on a boat that I have been on). There are a lot more that I haven't been on. Mostly it was carelessness, drunkenness, over tiredness, too much bonginess that caused the problems (such as relying on an autopilot in large quartering seas). It is easier to make a boat seaworthy than reef(er) worthy
Ha! He said "bonginess."
Also, I must say I've found most boats to be reef(er) worthy, pending that the time is right.
Old 26-06-2008, 09:11   #19

...then there's the issue of upkeep. A Hinkley with loose thru-hull hose clamps, leaky shaft log, corroded chainpates, etc. is more dangerous offshore than a Catalina which is in Bristol condition. Just my $.02.
Old 26-06-2008, 09:52   #20

I'd say the guy behind the tiller is about the most important component to sea-worthiness, second only to the vessel passing the following test:

With nose pressed firmly against any part of the vessel, and hand covering left eye, one should only see water to his right. As long as you can pass this test, your vessel in seaworthy. Amazingly, this fella was able to pass this test on the attached 19 ft vessel all the way from Hungary to the Marquesas...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 09:36   #21

Boat: Oday30-B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
this fella was able to pass this test...
Great shot... that's gunna be me when/if I grow up...
Old 27-06-2008, 10:24   #22

"Another learned lesson. You will never get pooped from astern if your boat moves on top of the waves (and maybe as fast or slightly faster). "
I am not sure quite what this means. Presumably a lighter boat which is more inclined to surf.
However it rather depends on the shape of the waves and the distance between them. One is not likely to be at the top of a wave rather at the bottom with a short wavelength and a steep wave approaching. Then it is a matter of stern buoyancy and steepness. Given the speed of most waves it is unlikely that most boats can keep up with them let alone exceed them without being slowed by plowing into the next.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: