Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2011, 21:38   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
What Makes a Boat 'Bluewater' ?

Hello all,

Still very new to all this so please bear with me.
My dream is to buy a boat, sail all over the world in it.

The more I read up on the types of boat that can do this the more confused I get!

For example..

Hanse 470e. I saw one of these at the Sydney boat show and fell in love. Could you sail this anywhere? If not why not? Could you take this boat and make it blue water safe? I understand the water tanks are quite small 80gal, is this why people wouldn't try to sail around the world in something like this? Coud I increase this amount of water / get a watermaker?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to learn as much as I can but the whole starting point has confused me I have to say.

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 21:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: What makes a boat blue water?

Beautiful boat. I try not to fall in love with a boat that will cost a half mill but that's just me

It has features like the self tacking jib and lines under the deck that I would wonder about. This is ignorance leading to speculation speaking now but with the self tacking jib is it possible to heave to? If there is a problem with the lines how easy to deal with them is it when they're running under deck?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 21:59   #3

"Beautiful boat. I try not to fall in love with a boat that will cost a half mill but that's just me "

Hehe, while I'm dreaming I though... Why not dream!
Old 31-10-2011, 01:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
CE rating...

The boat should have a CE rating. Ask what the rating is and what it means.

My opinion is that the term "Blue Water" is much abused. Think in terms of hull/deck/keel integrity, equipment condition, rating and installation and crew experience. All three need to work together.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 01:46   #5

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

It seems like if you have to ask the general bluewater boat question then you aren't ready for bluewater sailing...Kind of a Catch-22.

There's only about 1000 dimensions to the answer.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 02:53   #6

The CE rating of both the smaller 45's and larger 47 /49' is A (Ocean).
Read about that and it seems that's about the best rating you can get.

So I guess really the only issue would be the size of water tanks, which could be increased, or bottled water stored on longer passages?

Regards,
Simon
Old 31-10-2011, 02:55   #7

"It seems like if you have to ask the general bluewater boat question then you aren't ready for bluewater sailing...Kind of a Catch-22."

I totally agree. However I'm a terror for wanting to learn. This thread has been most helpful to me already with the CE rating hint.

I know I have a lot to learn before setting off into the blue, but piece by piece I'm trying to sort things out in my head.

Regards,
Simon
Old 31-10-2011, 03:07   #8

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Simon,
Don't listen to anyone who says you need more knowledge & experience before you plan a sailing trip. Many of these people are not bluewater sailors. It's amazing how many people we meet who had never sailed before they took off (Beth Leonard-and I think her book is the best for crusing info-and Evan bought a boat and sailed off with no experience.)
For really good information on what makes a good bluewater boat look at John Neal's site: Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Good luck! Sailing the oceans really is a great life!
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:04   #9

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

The difference is the weather that you won't be able to avoid, and the distance to the nearest diversion. Boat speed is a factor in dodging bad weather but there are plenty of posts and videos here about how bad it gets. Search 'Queens Birthday Storm' (see top right of this screen). People fail before a good boat gives up, but even good boats fail, eventually, then mono's sink, cats turn upside down. Two thousand miles to swim or drift?
but I'm biased, and too poor to go Ocean sailing.
Old 31-10-2011, 04:08   #10

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
Simon,
Don't listen to anyone who says you need more knowledge & experience before you plan a sailing trip. Many of these people are not bluewater sailors. It's amazing how many people we meet who had never sailed before they took off (Beth Leonard-and I think her book is the best for crusing info-and Evan bought a boat and sailed off with no experience.)
For really good information on what makes a good bluewater boat look at John Neal's site: Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Good luck! Sailing the oceans really is a great life!
After 23 years in the USCG I was amazed at how many boaters needed rescuing because they took the advice "that you really don't need much experience"...

But then again... you know how many "experienced" boaters get saved every year????

So in one aspect you are correct...THINKING you are experienced isn't really a good answer either...

I totally agree that anyone asking the basics of whether a boat is capable isn't CLOSE to being ready. THOSE of us in the know understand that almost ANY boat can be made ready or ...but you have to start with a skipper that knows that.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:15   #11

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Welcome to the forum Simon. The "bluewater" question is not easy to answer. I think some one has crossed the Atlantic in a bath tub, but that doesn't make it "bluewater". With a skilled sailor almost any new production boat over 30' could be sailed around the world. Most are lightly built and would require massive upgrades in tankage and other areas to satisfy an experienced skipper. A genuine bluewater cruiser should be structurally sound (preferably bulletproof) and have enough displacement and tankage to carry all the gear and supplies required without greatly effecting the performance or stability of the vessel.
Here are a few examples www.bwcy.com.au I have no affilliation with this company other than I visit them every week to check on the progress of my boat. Oh, yes and from time to time I send them some more money. If you visit their factory (and they'd make you welcome) you will quickly been shown the difference between a coastal and a bluewater cruiser. The volume market in sailboats is in lightweight, fast & nimble coastal & inshore vessels, hence this is what the high volume manufacturers build. The Hanse range is a good example of these. Yes, you could (& people do) sail them around the world although I think I would be a bit more comfortable with a medium to heavy displacement vessel.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:59   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What makes a boat blue water?

'What makes a Blue Water Boat'.....
now thats a question...
Usually its the Skipper....
ain't no such thing as a 'Bulletproof Boat' and thats what they're supposed to be....
In the Brochure....
Dream on Suckers....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 05:14   #13

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Accurate comments from Boatman61.
A man who's sailed more different boats in a wide variety of waters, especially the Biscay, and always, with no exceptions, got back to dry land, with the boat!
The boat is just the tool that the craftsman uses to carve his own path.
Old 31-10-2011, 06:36   #14

Welcolm to the forum Simon, all the good/great sailors Iknow are called Simon.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 06:46   #15

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

I don't like the Hanse as an oceann sailing boat because of the open transom but that is just my opinion. I feel that an offshore boat should have a secure cockpit that you sit in not on.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water