Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:28   #1

What is your Favorite Boat?

OK, I know I just opened a can of worms here. This is the "real" question:

What is is your favorite mono that can be bought for under $40K ready to cruise anywhere you feel like going? What should it be equipped with.

Now I know this is pretty vague, but I thought I'd try!

My background: Never sailed in my life. Been out on a fishing charter or two for the day, but that's about it.

My Dream: To have a vessel that I can cruise just about anywhere on a resonable budget (not necessarily shoestring) and enjoy life, friends and God's creations.

CB
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:08   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Goodlanders SV Wildcard. Definitely ready to go and in your budget.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:49   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Your SOR (To have a vessel that can cruise just about anywhere) doesn't meet that price tag. I'm building one right now and believe the costs will be around 60k € ~ $80k
Equipment & all :
Fuel 1,5t, generator about 5kw, watermaker, divecompressor, electric galley, sauna (diesel heated), hydraulic windlass and bow thruster, big inverter and battery bank, standard nav equipment, sidescan sonar..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26   #4

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Teddy, that is why I said a specific boat that was available. With a budget of 40,000 you are not going to have the luxury of falling in love with a particular make/model, you have to find a deal. I would argue that Goodlander's Hughes fits the criteria because its already circumnavigated twice and if they don't sell it, they are going around on it again. There are other boats out there but you are unlikely to find them on Yachtworld.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:14   #5

Boat: Seaward 22

Agree that you shouldn't say XX boat. It should be here are my "must" haves and here are my "nice to" haves. From there see what you can get. You will likely spend a lot of time looking around boat yards for deals. Also check out the Alberg 35 that's for sale on here. Boats like this are a good starting point.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:03   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill

What is is your favorite mono that can be bought for under $40K ready to cruise anywhere you feel like going? What should it be equipped with.

My background: Never sailed in my life. Been out on a fishing charter or two for the day, but that's about it.

My Dream: To have a vessel that I can cruise just about anywhere on a resonable budget (not necessarily shoestring) and enjoy life, friends and God's creations.

CB
I would be looking for a full keel boat in the 27-32 foot range.

I personally would be looking for a Westsail 32 of which on sold here in Singapore around $32k. I looked at this boat and it sailed in from Indonesia. I could have provisioned, changed the engine oil and sailed out.

Totally possible...

http://www.micoverde.com/westsail-32.asp
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 23:30   #7

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Teddy, that is why I said a specific boat that was available. With a budget of 40,000 you are not going to have the luxury of falling in love with a particular make/model, you have to find a deal. I would argue that Goodlander's Hughes fits the criteria because its already circumnavigated twice and if they don't sell it, they are going around on it again.
That's of course true.. However there's a difference between "anywhere" and "most places" (enough for big circle)
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 23:48   #8

Boat: too many

Oh, this is an easy one, like I asked the question with those same parameters. Hands down, a Cal 40, ex-race boat refitted for cruising. Under $40K, faster cruiser than anything in that or 3X that price range. When not making fast passages, there is a large owner's group for class racing. It was my first ocean capable boat and I wouldn't have even known to consider it without reading Steve Dashew's book. 20+ years ago spent $16K for a 20 year old Cal 40 and matched that price in cruising goodies. A real downwind sled hitting mid teens, you have to sail one before you buy anything.

I equipped with solar, inverter, wind vane and auto pilot, larger alternator, water maker, refrigerator, freezer, HAM HF SSB, Loran C and a few other goodies.

The above is a current Cal 40 for sale in your price range.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 23:51   #9

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

The one I have now that is paid for, a CSY 33.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 21:49   #10

Thanks for all the responses! I think perhaps that I should be looking for certain qualities like safety and seaworthiness rather than a specific boat itself. I must admit though, I like that Cal 40 and what I have read about that model.

I am reading the book by Captain Fatty (I hope my $9.95 helps him find his new boat) and it is certainly giving me insight on what I should be looking at. I must admit, he himself discouraged me from looking at his own Wild Card. He has the know it all and expertise to take a coastal cruiser and turn a few circumnavigations with it; I on the other hand would not feel very comfortable doing so.

With all that being said, I have a lot to learn. Heck, I am not even sure what all the terms are yet. Fatty mentions some things in his book and I have no idea what it is. So I will be slow in pulling a trigger; I have more experience with the sky than the sea and I think both are as unforgiving as the other.

CB
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 22:03   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
With all that being said, I have a lot to learn. Heck, I am not even sure what all the terms are yet.
Really. And there's no way you can know what sort of boat you want to sail until you know what sort of sailor you are.

You may want to get out on the water a few times before you start shopping for boats.
Old 04-04-2012, 22:03   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses! I think perhaps that I should be looking for certain qualities like safety and seaworthiness rather than a specific boat itself. I must admit though, I like that Cal 40 and what I have read about that model.

I am reading the book by Captain Fatty (I hope my $9.95 helps him find his new boat) and it is certainly giving me insight on what I should be looking at. I must admit, he himself discouraged me from looking at his own Wild Card. He has the know it all and expertise to take a coastal cruiser and turn a few circumnavigations with it; I on the other hand would not feel very comfortable doing so.

With all that being said, I have a lot to learn. Heck, I am not even sure what all the terms are yet. Fatty mentions some things in his book and I have no idea what it is. So I will be slow in pulling a trigger; I have more experience with the sky than the sea and I think both are as unforgiving as the other.

CB
Our pleasure CB. I like your final analogy of sky and sea both being unforgiving, with that attitude you are going to be just fine in your new chosen dimension, I also have enjoyed both.
Old 04-04-2012, 22:36   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The above is a current Cal 40 for sale in your price range.
Wings used to be John Lashley's boat. Are you selling it now or did you find someone else's ad for it?

I used to race with Lashley on Pete Schmidt's Cal40 Olympian.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 22:40   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

CB
OK, so we know the budget is $40k.
How many aboard?
Where are you now?
Where do you want to go? Anywhere could mean one of the milk runs or it could mean high latitudes or it could mean traipsing thru the Carribeam. I would give different answer's.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 22:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Wings used to be John Lashley's boat. Are you selling it now or did you find someone else's ad for it?

I used to race with Lashley on Pete Schmidt's Cal40 Olympian.
Boats have a soul that lives on, with Adelie knowing the history on Wings. I just plucked the pictures from a sale's agent. You are in a great position to advise the OP on his first boat purchase. My experience was limited prior to my Cal 40 ownership, and I loved that boat. The OP appears to be a pilot, so as his first boat, would you recommend the Cal 40?