Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:28   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 59
What is your Favorite Boat?

OK, I know I just opened a can of worms here. This is the "real" question:

What is is your favorite mono that can be bought for under $40K ready to cruise anywhere you feel like going? What should it be equipped with.

Now I know this is pretty vague, but I thought I'd try!

My background: Never sailed in my life. Been out on a fishing charter or two for the day, but that's about it.

My Dream: To have a vessel that I can cruise just about anywhere on a resonable budget (not necessarily shoestring) and enjoy life, friends and God's creations.

CB
__________________

__________________
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:08   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Posts: 789
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Goodlanders SV Wildcard. Definitely ready to go and in your budget.
__________________

__________________
S/V Ceol Mor
42 Nassau Undergoing refit in Kemah, Tx
Our little blog has moved: www.theceolmors.blogspot.com
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:49   #3
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,828
Images: 2
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Your SOR (To have a vessel that can cruise just about anywhere) doesn't meet that price tag. I'm building one right now and believe the costs will be around 60k € ~ $80k
Equipment & all :
Fuel 1,5t, generator about 5kw, watermaker, divecompressor, electric galley, sauna (diesel heated), hydraulic windlass and bow thruster, big inverter and battery bank, standard nav equipment, sidescan sonar..
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:26   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Posts: 789
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Teddy, that is why I said a specific boat that was available. With a budget of 40,000 you are not going to have the luxury of falling in love with a particular make/model, you have to find a deal. I would argue that Goodlander's Hughes fits the criteria because its already circumnavigated twice and if they don't sell it, they are going around on it again. There are other boats out there but you are unlikely to find them on Yachtworld.
__________________
S/V Ceol Mor
42 Nassau Undergoing refit in Kemah, Tx
Our little blog has moved: www.theceolmors.blogspot.com
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Boat: Seaward 22
Posts: 691
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Agree that you shouldn't say XX boat. It should be here are my "must" haves and here are my "nice to" haves. From there see what you can get. You will likely spend a lot of time looking around boat yards for deals. Also check out the Alberg 35 that's for sale on here. Boats like this are a good starting point.
__________________
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:03   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill
OK, I know I just opened a can of worms here. This is the "real" question:

What is is your favorite mono that can be bought for under $40K ready to cruise anywhere you feel like going? What should it be equipped with.

Now I know this is pretty vague, but I thought I'd try!

My background: Never sailed in my life. Been out on a fishing charter or two for the day, but that's about it.

My Dream: To have a vessel that I can cruise just about anywhere on a resonable budget (not necessarily shoestring) and enjoy life, friends and God's creations.

CB
I would be looking for a full keel boat in the 27-32 foot range.

I personally would be looking for a Westsail 32 of which on sold here in Singapore around $32k. I looked at this boat and it sailed in from Indonesia. I could have provisioned, changed the engine oil and sailed out.

Totally possible...

http://www.micoverde.com/westsail-32.asp
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 00:30   #7
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,828
Images: 2
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Teddy, that is why I said a specific boat that was available. With a budget of 40,000 you are not going to have the luxury of falling in love with a particular make/model, you have to find a deal. I would argue that Goodlander's Hughes fits the criteria because its already circumnavigated twice and if they don't sell it, they are going around on it again.
That's of course true.. However there's a difference between "anywhere" and "most places" (enough for big circle)
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 00:48   #8
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Oh, this is an easy one, like I asked the question with those same parameters. Hands down, a Cal 40, ex-race boat refitted for cruising. Under $40K, faster cruiser than anything in that or 3X that price range. When not making fast passages, there is a large owner's group for class racing. It was my first ocean capable boat and I wouldn't have even known to consider it without reading Steve Dashew's book. 20+ years ago spent $16K for a 20 year old Cal 40 and matched that price in cruising goodies. A real downwind sled hitting mid teens, you have to sail one before you buy anything.

I equipped with solar, inverter, wind vane and auto pilot, larger alternator, water maker, refrigerator, freezer, HAM HF SSB, Loran C and a few other goodies.














The above is a current Cal 40 for sale in your price range.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 00:51   #9
Registered User
 
wunderluster's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Boat: CSY 33
Posts: 167
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

The one I have now that is paid for, a CSY 33.
__________________
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 22:49   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 59
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Thanks for all the responses! I think perhaps that I should be looking for certain qualities like safety and seaworthiness rather than a specific boat itself. I must admit though, I like that Cal 40 and what I have read about that model.

I am reading the book by Captain Fatty (I hope my $9.95 helps him find his new boat) and it is certainly giving me insight on what I should be looking at. I must admit, he himself discouraged me from looking at his own Wild Card. He has the know it all and expertise to take a coastal cruiser and turn a few circumnavigations with it; I on the other hand would not feel very comfortable doing so.

With all that being said, I have a lot to learn. Heck, I am not even sure what all the terms are yet. Fatty mentions some things in his book and I have no idea what it is. So I will be slow in pulling a trigger; I have more experience with the sky than the sea and I think both are as unforgiving as the other.

CB
__________________
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:03   #11
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
With all that being said, I have a lot to learn. Heck, I am not even sure what all the terms are yet.
Really. And there's no way you can know what sort of boat you want to sail until you know what sort of sailor you are.

You may want to get out on the water a few times before you start shopping for boats.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:03   #12
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I think perhaps that I should be looking for certain qualities like safety and seaworthiness rather than a specific boat itself. I must admit though, I like that Cal 40 and what I have read about that model.

I am reading the book by Captain Fatty (I hope my $9.95 helps him find his new boat) and it is certainly giving me insight on what I should be looking at. I must admit, he himself discouraged me from looking at his own Wild Card. He has the know it all and expertise to take a coastal cruiser and turn a few circumnavigations with it; I on the other hand would not feel very comfortable doing so.

With all that being said, I have a lot to learn. Heck, I am not even sure what all the terms are yet. Fatty mentions some things in his book and I have no idea what it is. So I will be slow in pulling a trigger; I have more experience with the sky than the sea and I think both are as unforgiving as the other.

CB
Our pleasure CB. I like your final analogy of sky and sea both being unforgiving, with that attitude you are going to be just fine in your new chosen dimension, I also have enjoyed both.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:36   #13
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,639
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The above is a current Cal 40 for sale in your price range.
Wings used to be John Lashley's boat. Are you selling it now or did you find someone else's ad for it?

I used to race with Lashley on Pete Schmidt's Cal40 Olympian.
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:40   #14
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,639
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
OK, I know I just opened a can of worms here. This is the "real" question:

What is is your favorite mono that can be bought for under $40K ready to cruise anywhere you feel like going? What should it be equipped with.

Now I know this is pretty vague, but I thought I'd try!

My background: Never sailed in my life. Been out on a fishing charter or two for the day, but that's about it.

My Dream: To have a vessel that I can cruise just about anywhere on a resonable budget (not necessarily shoestring) and enjoy life, friends and God's creations.

CB
OK, so we know the budget is $40k.
How many aboard?
Where are you now?
Where do you want to go? Anywhere could mean one of the milk runs or it could mean high latitudes or it could mean traipsing thru the Carribeam. I would give different answer's.
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:45   #15
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: What is your Favorite Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Wings used to be John Lashley's boat. Are you selling it now or did you find someone else's ad for it?

I used to race with Lashley on Pete Schmidt's Cal40 Olympian.
Boats have a soul that lives on, with Adelie knowing the history on Wings. I just plucked the pictures from a sale's agent. You are in a great position to advise the OP on his first boat purchase. My experience was limited prior to my Cal 40 ownership, and I loved that boat. The OP appears to be a pilot, so as his first boat, would you recommend the Cal 40?
__________________

__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No LED in Aqua Signal 40 Tricolor - Is this Advice Bogus ? PamlicoTraveler Construction, Maintenance & Refit 25 28-12-2014 21:33
Your Boat Progression - Care to Share ? deckofficer General Sailing Forum 67 16-08-2012 12:24
What Do You Do for a Living? xoxxx Off Topic Forum 329 07-06-2012 05:22
Now THIS is a Collision ! Rakuflames Navigation 28 03-04-2012 08:45
Why Is My Engine Racing Away? Shanaly Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 02-04-2012 21:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.