Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 10:57   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: What is the optimal outboard setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soton View Post
Unfortunately the force does not disappear because the bracket deflects. You will get the same force on the stern notwithstanding flexure of the bracket. Think of a spring. If you push down with a force say of 10 lbs the spring will deflect but you will still get a reaction force of 10 lbs on the surface against which you are pushing.
Yes, but with the bracket I'm thinking the force/load is better distributed across the transom since the bracket has a base of maybe 5" X 5" rather than the outboard's two hold down screws.

In other words, there's more transom area to support the outboard

And with the flexing even more so across the 5 x 5 base rather than the two holdown screws

Here's a Garelick Bracket:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Garelick-...b9a64900ece68c

And mounting Instructions:

http://garelick.com/files/12.295.pdf
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 11:10   #32

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I believe, but I could be wrong, this is the highest lift (at 17+ inches) commercially available mount of its type available for those interested, it is from Catalina Direct:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index...our-spring.cfm
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 13:11   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes, but with the bracket I'm thinking the force/load is better distributed across the transom since the bracket has a base of maybe 5" X 5" rather than the outboard's two hold down screws.

In other words, there's more transom area to support the outboard

And with the flexing even more so across the 5 x 5 base rather than the two holdown screws

Here's a Garelick Bracket:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Garelick-...b9a64900ece68c

And mounting Instructions:

http://garelick.com/files/12.295.pdf
Sorry I misread your post. I agree the bracket Base will spread the load which is a good thing.
Soton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I believe, but I could be wrong, this is the highest lift (at 17+ inches) commercially available mount of its type available for those interested, it is from Catalina Direct:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index...our-spring.cfm
This bracket is the one with the highest lift that I have seen, but the price tag is about $358.00 and it's mostly recommended for a 9.9 hp or less

So like lots of our earlier posts, it will cost quite a bit to simply mount an outboard on an old boat that also needs a transom repair.

If the OP buys a bracket and outboard he could end up paying about $1,000 unless it's a new outboard then it will be much more. (I paid about $1,500 for my 5 hp outboard and $200 for the bracket)

That's not a lot of money unless you only paid around $2,000 for the boat which is what I believe the OP paid

It always goes back to how much do you/we want to spend on an old boat
Old 26-03-2018, 16:01   #35

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig

For mine, the optimal OB set-up, would be the set-up that addresses the shortcomings of having an outboard.
I agree with boatman61 and others, hanging on a bracket off the transom isn't the optimal position, a well is much preferred for performance.....then what are the shortcomings of a well?...exhaust fumes in the cockpit is in my opinion the worst problem, and the inability to tilt the OB out of water (on most wells I have seen). Noise is another problem.
The enclosed well is starting to address some of the problems (images from atom voyages)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3838.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	167154  
Attached Images

'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
TopHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 16:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHat View Post
For mine, the optimal OB set-up, would be the set-up that addresses the shortcomings of having an outboard.
I agree with boatman61 and others, hanging on a bracket off the transom isn't the optimal position, a well is much preferred for performance.....then what are the shortcomings of a well?...exhaust fumes in the cockpit is in my opinion the worst problem, and the inability to tilt the OB out of water (on most wells I have seen). Noise is another problem.
The enclosed well is starting to address some of the problems (images from atom voyages)
Agreeing with boatman61 and the others is one thing, but putting up the money to have the well converted for an outboard then buying the outboard for an old boat is quite a different thing especially when you can get by without all that

We are talking sailboats here.

Plus, the OP doesn't have a well to put the outboard in.

These folks crossed the Atlantic with an outboard as their auxiliary and didn't have to cut any more holes in the bottom of their boat....

Old 26-03-2018, 16:43   #37

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig

Oh go on then, I'll agree with you too thomm225, I'm very agreeable
The $$are very important which is exactly why my OB currently sits on a transom bracket like this :
But I'm always looking for better options of where to put it, because for me it's certainly not optimal sitting out there.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3841.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	167160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3842.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	167161  

'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
TopHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 16:50   #38

Quote:
Oh go on then, I'll agree with you too thomm225, I'm very agreeable
The $$are very important which is exactly why my OB currently sits on a transom bracket like this :
But I'm always looking for better options of where to put it, because for me it's certainly not optimal sitting out there.
Cheers
I agree with the well thing also but would I want to spend that money on that for the old boat I have now? (since it does have a well)

Another thing to consider is the fact that my outboard sits maybe 1 and 1/2 feet beyond the stern when it's down in the water on the bracket.

Does this make my boat faster when motoring due to the longer "waterline" than if it were in a well?
Old 26-03-2018, 16:59   #39

Quote:
Actually, in my Columbia 24 I had no issues with exhaust in the closed lazarette or cockpit, the noise was muted and certainly many decibels less than a diesel. And I had the transom cut and so tilting up was very quick and easy. The only negative was that I could not turn the engine much in there to help maneuver more effectively.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-03-2018, 17:37   #40

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

I have found, surprisingly, that the sailpro 6hp on the garhauer mount will stay in the water even when motoring in a moderate swell or chop. Once the throttle is opened the stern bites down and the prop stays in the water. We can even motorsail. While a well would certainly be better, there is nothing wrong with a well placed transom mount. We are currently in Uruguay and I have observed most the local sailboats having transom outboards, and the Rio de la Plata can be very choppy.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 19:07   #41
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Atom was preparing for true blue water as in circumnavigating right?

Different from coastal pottering about.

Some people would say the more money you saved on the initial boat purchase, the more you have available (and will be required) for the upfitting
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 03:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Atom was preparing for true blue water as in circumnavigating right?

Different from coastal pottering about.

Some people would say the more money you saved on the initial boat purchase, the more you have available (and will be required) for the upfitting
James Baldwin has completed two circumnavigations on Atom.

On the first he just started when the boat wasn't really ready. He would stop along the way to make money and complete repairs

You can read about it on his Atom Voyages Website
Atom Voyages - Home

He also has a Good Old "Cruising" Boat List on his site and explains why the boats he selected are there

I'm not sure when he put the outboard well in but I believe it was after he did at least one of the RTW Voyages but may have been after both had been completed

I do know that he sailed a lot without any engine due to problems with either the outboard or the diesel.........and I believe he hung at least one of his outboards off the stern since it did get stolen

This is how many of us start out with our old boats, but we sail locally and do the repairs locally..... locally being within 100 miles or so from our slip/marina

Saving money on the initial purchase is a great way to have the extra money to "fix up" your Good Old Boat, but you also realize the boat's shortcomings and wonder if your present boat is the one you want to sail long distance on

This from the Atom Voyages Website concerning the refitting of old boats:

A final word of advice to the novice sailor - resist the temptation to undertake a major refit and extensive modifications on your new old boat right at the start. It's best to make only the obvious repairs needed and go out and sail locally and on some coastal vacation passages to learn exactly what is and what is not needed for you. Otherwise you may end up spending years and many thousands of dollars more than expected modifying your boat and then find out on your first ocean crossing that the boat is not right for you or those great ideas you had during the refurbishment did not work out that well at sea.
Old 27-03-2018, 08:59   #43

Yeah that quote is certainly sage advice. Sometimes there is an assumption (or just a desire) that all old things on the boat must be made new in order to be safe and/or reliable, or that certain structural things that one can IMAGINE are needed really aren't. For example my boat has only one set of lower of lower shrouds. It has been that way since it was built. I would LIKE to add another set to reduce the pumping of the mast, but it is not NECESSARY.
BTW: as far as outboards offshore, since the outboard will not likely be used for generating electricity and, on smaller boats, the poor fuel economy relative to diesel and lack of tank volume, if I were planning a long offshore trip I'd plan on the outboard being wrapped up, on the stern or in a well, and to be made ready when approaching a coast. One of the main reasons I need an auxilliary in my neighborhood is to be sure I can get out of the shipping lane, or off the breakwater, if the wind dies.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-03-2018, 10:30   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
BTW: as far as outboards offshore, since the outboard will not likely be used for generating electricity and, on smaller boats, the poor fuel economy relative to diesel and lack of tank volume, if I were planning a long offshore trip I'd plan on the outboard being wrapped up, on the stern or in a well, and to be made ready when approaching a coast. One of the main reasons I need an auxilliary in my neighborhood is to be sure I can get out of the shipping lane, or off the breakwater, if the wind dies.
My plan here would be to relocate my outboard to the stern railing where the PO's dinghy motor mount is.

This is where I put the outboard at other times also for some maintenance since when raised it is out over the dock

Tags
outboard