Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 12:58   #1

What is so great about the Oceanis 473

Hello,
What's the thing with the Beneteau Oceanis 473? It is often advertised as a blue water cruiser and also often priced accordingly. Only thing I know of that makes it stand out, is a keel stepped mast and a 800 liter water capacity . It is also often priced priced about the same as the Beneteau Oceanis 46, which is the following model after 473. Why would I buy Oceanis 473 instead of the lot newer Oceanis 46 for the same money? All knowledge about the subject would be highly appreciated.
Spermwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 02:50   #2

Re: What is so great about the Oceanis 473

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? It is very puzzling and I am suppose to buy one of those boats.
Old 18-03-2016, 02:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I have a 473, but have never sailed on the newer Oceanis 46, so cannot make any comparison.

All I can say is that I like the 473, seems to be a well founded boat.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 04:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Spermwhale.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 05:00   #5

Boat: Ohlson 29

Welcome to CF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spermwhale View Post
and I am suppose to buy one of those boats.
I hope you want to buy one of them

No personal experience here, but even if I had ... If you prefer one model over another -sounds like you'd prefer a 46- why not just go for that one?
It's not like one is likely to fall apart while the other one is built like a tank.

Personally, I'd say neither model is specifically build as a "blue water cruiser", but both are capable and have done successful circumnavigations.
Old 18-03-2016, 05:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is so great about the Oceanis 473

The 'Blue Water' sticker is awarded to the Oceanis and other makes by their builders.. not some official regulatory body.. just means its got all the right warning stickers in the heads, gas lockers etc.. bugger all to do with build/material quality.
I really wish folk could get past this Promotional rubbish.. are there not enough inexcusable gear/keel/rudder failures to date for folks to 'Get It'.??

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 05:23   #7

Never, ever, underestimate the power of marketing! It's what keeps the world turning.

Funny tho - ask anyone what a "blue water cruiser" is, and nobody agrees. Builders and designers included.

Hence, there is no such thing, really. There are more capable boats (and lots of them) and less capable boats (quite a few of those too) and ... both can be found in anchorages all over the world
Old 18-03-2016, 05:30   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

When in doubt, call Beneteau or check their web site, which often has details as to who designed the boat and how it is "special".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:05   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Hello,
What's the thing with the Beneteau Oceanis 473? It is often advertised as a blue water cruiser and also often priced accordingly. Only thing I know of that makes it stand out, is a keel stepped mast and a 800 liter water capacity . It is also often priced priced about the same as the Beneteau Oceanis 46, which is the following model after 473. Why would I buy Oceanis 473 instead of the lot newer Oceanis 46 for the same money? All knowledge about the subject would be highly appreciated.
1. Usually the market reflects the combined appreciation of the users about the value. As it is a second hand evaluation it is no longer subject to a possible marketing strategies of the manufacture. I.e. - if the 47.3 has better pricing than 46, it suggests that it is a better vessel.
5. I have no experience of the 46. But, I do have an extensive experience of the 47.3 - IMHO, it is one of the most successful models made by Beneteau (along with the old Beneteau 50 model). It sails very nicely against waves, is well built and offers all around good performance.
Old 18-03-2016, 08:11   #10

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The 'Blue Water' sticker is awarded to the Oceanis and other makes by their builders.. not some official regulatory body.. just means its got all the right warning stickers in the heads, gas lockers etc.. bugger all to do with build/material quality.
I really wish folk could get past this Promotional rubbish.. are there not enough inexcusable gear/keel/rudder failures to date for folks to 'Get It'.??
What the Boatman said. ^^^
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:21   #11

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks a lot. However, nobody seems to be able to say if 476 would actually be a better boat than the 46. It's priced as if it would be, but so far I haven't been able to find any data to support it.
Old 18-03-2016, 08:23   #12

I know them both. The 46 was,the first Beneteau built in South Carolina. It has a more modern Interior and deck design. Also really like the 2 cabin version for blue water (not available in the 473). It is a little beamer at the transom so more yawning in trailing seas.
lionspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:38   #13

Boat: Beneteau

My boat is a little older and smaller but I love it even in rough weather. It does not tend to wallow about like many older designs like say for instance a Niagara 35 which I have some limited experience with. I have only had mine in 40-50 knots and 5-7 metre seas but love the motion at that point more than the vomit inducers. My family loves it and my wife doesn't want to hear about another boat and she has experience as a cook on commercial vessels up to and beyond the Arctic Circle. Not a dock queen as some would have you believe.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionspaw View Post
I know them both. The 46 was,the first Beneteau built in South Carolina. It has a more modern Interior and deck design. Also really like the 2 cabin version for blue water (not available in the 473). It is a little beamer at the transom so more yawning in trailing seas.

I have a 2-cabin version 473. I'm very happy with it. I would, however, be willing to trade, straight up, for a brand new 46.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:46   #15

Quote:
However, nobody seems to be able to say if 476 would actually be a better boat than the 46.
Better in what sense?
What would make one model better then the other -- at least, in your opinion?

Tags
oceanis