Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 15:37   #61

Re: What is so great about the Oceanis 473

[QUOTE=Clipper4730;2078654]Ok I'll bite, here is a production craft that is mass produced, affordable and incredibly safe and successful, a craft that operates in a very harsh climates all over the world. The Boeing 737. It is built to certain price point, it is mass produced, and I'm pretty sure the parts are sourced from the lowest bidder, I know I have been flying them for the last 15yrs. When you go to the airport do you ask for a true blue skies airplane not some mass produced piece of junk. I'm not sure why some folks on here seem to think a "production vessel" is somehow inferior to a whatever you call a true blue water cruiser. When you build a few thousand boats you learn a few things about what works and what doesn't. There will always be compromises and at the end of the day it is all about RRM. Risk Resource Management. If the big manufactures truly built shoddy unsafe boats no one would by them because they would be sinking all over the world instead of sailing all over the world. One other thing about Beneteaus in particular. I read this a few years ago while researching our potential purchase options. More Bennies have competed in more offshore races than any other manufacturer period. And did quite well I might add. Am I biased, sure I own one but it has been a great boat so far and would not hesitate to sail across the ocean tomorrow. Btw we looked very closely at the 473 as well as the 46 and ultimately went with the 50 owners version and couldn't be happier. I do agree that the 473's do seem a bit overpriced.[/QUOT

Nothing wrong with the 473, nice looking boat above and below and I think more than anything this is why it was a success.
Trying to tie in aircraft manufacturing with production boat building is way off the mark, not even close as there is no comparison. Quite frankly not even the best boat builder could be compared to Boeing much less a builder of entry level boats.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 16:46   #62

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: What is so great about the Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spermwhale View Post
Hello,

What's the thing with the Beneteau Oceanis 473? It is often advertised as a blue water cruiser and also often priced accordingly. Only thing I know of that makes it stand out, is a keel stepped mast and a 800 liter water capacity . It is also often priced priced about the same as the Beneteau Oceanis 46, which is the following model after 473. Why would I buy Oceanis 473 instead of the lot newer Oceanis 46 for the same money? All knowledge about the subject would be highly appreciated.

Hello Whale,

We selected our B473 over the B46 for a few easy reasons....for us! I think you should decide...for you. But since you're asking, here's my answer. We prefer the more classic lines of the 473, including the cherry interior. Our boat also has an Awlgrip flag blue hull which doesn't hurt. The layout of the 473 better suits my 6'3" self especially in the forward master berth which is less 'V' shaped than the 46 and is far more comfortable for us at anchor.

We purchased this boat a year and a half ago and have sailed it extensively...but only locally in and around Long Island Sound and east. The prior owners purchased this boat, picked it up from Beneteau in Marion and sailed it offshore from there to here. Also offshore to Maine and back. They gushed how comfortable and safe she performed. We benefited by inheriting much of the offshore safety gear, can't wait to put it to use.

I don't know why 473s sell for the same money as the newer 46 but I'd guess it's because the xx3 series Beneteau was the last of the 'classic line' boats from the brand. Just a thought. Enjoy the search! Send pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1458690370.283224.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	121296

-Bill
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanis