Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 19:37   #16

Boat: Van De Stadt 34
If there is only one shoe it is evidence that you had a bad night on the town last night.
cisco007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 19:52   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
WOW !!!!

What a BEAUTIFUL BOAT !!! 1953 U.S. Navy design Pilothouse Liveaboard Cruising Trawler Commercial Boat For

If this boat is still around for sale in 3 years i would like to know about it!
What a yacht for retiring !!!!

Watson
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 20:33   #18

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Jesse,

I do not know how long the shoe would be, the keel is 10" wide and the boat is 55 feet long. 9K for worm food seems a bit steep though.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:59   #19

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson1990 View Post
What a BEAUTIFUL BOAT !!! 1953 U.S. Navy design Pilothouse Liveaboard Cruising Trawler Commercial Boat For

If this boat is still around for sale in 3 years i would like to know about it!
What a yacht for retiring !!!!

Watson
Yeah I love it, I have pitched it to the estranged sopuse, when I ask her what she thought, she said "pretty boat". Then I ask what she thought about selling or refinancing the house to sell and pay off upon her retirement, she said , "pretty boat".

We have reconciled, though she has not moved home yet. She has 2 months left on her lease and living alone for the first time in 59 years of life so now that we have worked it out, this is like summer camp, I guess. After 36 years of marriage I suppose there is no great hurry. Besides, I think she likes the wooing, courting, dating and watching me sweat, 36 +- years later, AGAIN. Sigh, Women!

That Beebe has a lot of appeal too, with sweat equity it could be one hell of a lot of boat for the $. I would want the most critical, skilled and experienced surveyor in the free world to write it up b4 comitting to it though. I guess really I would want that on the Navy boat too. George Buehler would likely do the west coast navy boat, but I doubt, nor could I afford him for the east coast Beebe boat.

The main concern of both of those ships is the resale value, even if put in bristol yacht condition and kept that way. Wood boats make bankers nervous so selling might be a concern in 10 years. Any thoughts on that out there?

Me and the dogs are living a nice quite, serene life. Just as you can have on a boat in between times of concern, adventure and sheer terror. Boat living should be better than just worrying about the health of the caladiums, the greeness of the san augustine and the health of the ferns. I guess I am ready for a new set of worries.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 16:30   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Our first "real" boat was a 1957 era home built glass over plywood Thunderbird 26 designed by Ben Seaborne for the Western Wood Products Association in the early 50’s (they were trying to develop uses for plywood at the time). Designed for the light air conditions in Seattle, the boat’s cast lead keel didn’t provide sufficient ballast for sailing in San Francisco and we spent rather too much time laid over on our chine making leeway in heavy air while other boats sped past us. After one frustrating race from Richmond YC to Golden Gate YC where we finished DFL, someone asked me who had made our “shoe”. “I have no idea what you’re talking about” I responded. That evoked a gale of laughter from the crowd. It seems that T-birds racing in San Francisco in the late 60’s were entitled to add a 500# lead “shoe” to the bottoms of their keels to increase their stability, tho’ no one had told me and I became the fleet “anchor-man” as a result! The addition of such a shoe at Herb Madden’s yard in Sausalito, coupled with judicious fairing and long boarding of our keel and bottom transformed our boat.

FWIW…

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote