Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2010, 23:35   #16

Boat: Vagabond 42
They were asking $6k then. It does have a small portside galley and a port-a-potty. It is a comfortable short-term boat for 2 (sleeps 3) and what it sounds like you want. I have spent as long as a week on mine. If you are a ways out, keep in touch. I am planning to sell mine in the fall of 2011 and move back to the big water with a bigger boat. She is completely restored, and done right - I did it myself. She does not have a formal galley though. It is a slide out. I like it better because I have more room (sleeps 4 and moving around or lounging) and find that I don't use it even when camping for a week at a time. It is easier and cooler to grill off the stern.

PS. I am a teacher too.
Old 27-11-2010, 23:58   #17

Boat: Pearson 281
Did anyone mention either the Catalina 22 or Balboa 22 both classic trailer-sailors. The C22 is still in production I think. Check a later edition of Royce's Sailing Illustrated where he goes into trailer sailors
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 02:39   #18

Boat: Traditional 30
RL24.

Lightweight to tow.
Relatively fast to sail
Eat in the cockpit from the BBQ you will buy.
Get the swing keel version so you can bump the bottom.
The foward V berth can be made into a massive double.
Huge cockpit. ( lets face it, thats where you spent most of your time on a TY)
Cockpit lockers make great Eskies (coolers)
You can tow it with a family car 6 cylinder. no need for 4wd Suv's
RL Trailable Yachts from Rob Legg Yachts

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 05:20   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Don't know the boat models in the US - but on that size / use I would want a decent sized cockpit that worked well with a cockpit canopy. will double your useable living space. downside is cost if custom made.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 07:41   #20

Boat: Bristol 38.8
The Rhodes 22 with a pop top would be high on my list. It even has a real marine toilet.

http://www.rhodes22.com/spec.html
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 09:05   #21

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
we traveled for a few years, campaining a Catalina 22 MKll for racing, and loved the travel.
If we were to keep it in cruising mode, I'd chose a Catalina in a 25 or 27 or the newer 250 or 270 with a swing keel.. swing keel is about a must, as we ran across a good number of lakes where the launch ramp was designed for Bass Boats and not for fixed keel sailboats..
The 25 and 27 catalina have a good amount of room, you can stand up fully, and they have a galley... The swing keel cranks up with a winch from inside..
The picture is of our 22MKll in full race mode.. this shot was taken after the San Francisco to Half Moon Bay race.. took a first in that race..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0341.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	21522  
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 07:37   #22

Boat: Chrysler Pirateer 13'
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
If you are a ways out, keep in touch. I am planning to sell mine in the fall of 2011 and move back to the big water with a bigger boat. She is completely restored, and done right - I did it myself.

PS. I am a teacher too.
Definitely keep in touch if you are thinking about selling! So does the teacher lifestyle work for you and your boat hobby? We are excited about the time off and the possibilities!
Capitana_Chani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 07:40   #23

Thank you everyone for your replys! I will relook into a Catalina 22 and a Balboa 22.

The RL24 looks good!

I am super impressed by this Rhodes 22 with the pop top and private head. Has anyone owned one of these?
Old 29-11-2010, 09:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitana_Chani View Post
Definitely keep in touch if you are thinking about selling! So does the teacher lifestyle work for you and your boat hobby? We are excited about the time off and the possibilities!
Actually I left teaching middle school because I was never really off. I ended up working during almost all of my "off" time planning and catching up. I got seriously burned out after about 8 years. But, I did change grade levels and subjects every year which means starting from scratch every year. I teach as an adjunct at a technical college now, and I really do get to enjoy my time off now (about 8 weeks per year), but no benefits and the money is not great. So I am also enrolled in nursing school. That is why I am so far from the coast. I will finish in Dec 2011 and head back to the big water. I will definitely keep you posted as to Puff's (my boat) status on the market.
Old 29-11-2010, 10:34   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and here is my input.
Venture of Newport 23. Known as a VN 23 (not the regular Venture or regular MacGregor). Any of the Kenner line. Catalinas are well built boats and I'd look at the 25 for most room for a trailerable. Kent Ranger if you can find one. For a bit smaller you just can't beat the West Wight Potter 19 but its interior is a bit tight. It's done a Pacific crossing.
Good luck in whatever you chose to purchase but before you sign on the bottom line just run it past the forum for some comments.
kind regards,
Old 29-11-2010, 10:53   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Or... if you'd prefer a more flexible open interior try the Mcgregor 26... also water ballast.... some of the older ones are really cheap but whichever way check out the owners forums/magazine test sails for more info/fault finding
I wouldn't completely discount it, but if you desire any degree of performance, this is probably not the boat for you.

Last summer, my son and I were out in a Cal 20 on the Magothy River and literally sailed circles around an otherwise competently handled Magregor 26 on a beam reach in about 7 kts. Again, I could see nothing obviously wrong with the sail trim but a vintage boat with 5' less waterline clearly outsailed the M36.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:39   #27

Thanks everyone!

Question: Does anyone know anything about the Chrysler 22?
I've found a few in my area that seem reasonably priced and they seem to also to have a pretty big cabin which is great for what we want our boat for. Has anyone sailed on one of them and have an opinion??

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42   #28

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Take an experienced boatowner with you to check out the Chrysler. I'm not experienced with them but would look specifically at the quality of fittings and rigging.
kind regards,
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitana_Chani View Post
Thanks everyone!

Question: Does anyone know anything about the Chrysler 22?
I've found a few in my area that seem reasonably priced and they seem to also to have a pretty big cabin which is great for what we want our boat for. Has anyone sailed on one of them and have an opinion??

Thanks!

Bet these folks know the boat well:
Chrysler Sailors :: Index
Old 02-12-2010, 09:35   #30

Thanks!