Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 23:51   #1

What Is a Good Bang for My Buck ?

HI,
I'M NEW TO THIS AND AM LOOKING FOR ANY ADVICE I CAN GET. I'M CURRENTLY GETTING READY TO PURCHASE A MONOHULL 40 TO 45 FOOT LIVE ABOARD VESEL THAT WILL PRIMARILY IF NOT EXCLUSIVLY BE USED ON THE PACIFIC. I'M LOOKING TO SPEND AROUND 85K AND I AM LOOKING AT NOTHING BUT USED.
THE BIG QUESTION I HAVE IS YESTERDAY WHILE TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO SEEMS TO KNOW THEIR STUFF. I BROUGHT UP THAT I WAS LOOKING AT THE HUNTER LEGEND RANGING FROM 1984 TO 1995. ALL THE MODELS I SAW WERE AROUND 42' AND I REALLY LIKE THE BOAT. I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE DIESEL ACCESS. IT SEEMS THAT CATALINA LOVES TO PUT THE DIESEL IN THE SMALLEST HOLE IN THE FLOOR POSSSIBLE AND THAT MAKES A NIGHTMARE FOR ANY MAINTENANCE. I KNOW IT IS A SAILBOAT BUT STILL. BUT THE GUY I WAS TALKING TO HAD NOTHING POSITIVE TO SAY ABOUT HUNTERS AND HE SAID HIS FRIENDS FEEL THE SAME WAY. ANY THOUGHTS?
SO I'M LOOKING FOR GOOD QUALITY. I CAN SACRIFICE A REALLY NICE INTERIOR FOR GOOD QUALITY RIGGING AND A WELL DESIGNED BOAT THAT WILL SERVE ME WELL FOR MANY YEARS TO COME WITH GOOD MAINTENANCE. I AM A HELICOPTER AND JET MECHANIC AND TAKE PRIDE IN KEEPING MY STUFF IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, BUT I DON'T WANT A LEMON OF A BOAT AND I'M LOOKING FOR GOOD SUGGESTIONS ON MANUFACTURERS THAT WILL DO JUST THIS. ANY IDEAS? THANKS,
CAM
1945d73t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 00:55   #2

For a start, don't type in capitals, it is seen as shouting on forums?
Both Catalina's and Hunters are good boats but i think you need to know a little more before you buy, maybe charter a boat for a week ?
would be a good idea.
The brand of the boat will not matter. It is what You want to do with the boat that matters
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:02   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
100s of similar questions on CF. Try the search function and then ask new questions once you have been though all the older threads. Good boat hunting. Welcome to CF.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:16   #4

Unhappy beau

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. I'M A COP AND THAT IS HOW IT'S DONE. TO NOT WRITE IN CAPS WOULD REALLY SCREW ME UP.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:44   #5

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Hi Cam, as you are a new member of the forum you may not be aware that there is a Google Custom Search which makes it easier for searching for past topics.

Here is the link - hope it helps you out..

Google Custom Search - Cruisers & Sailing Forum

Good luck with your boat shopping, Steve
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:10   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1945d73t View Post
BUT THE GUY I WAS TALKING TO HAD NOTHING POSITIVE TO SAY ABOUT HUNTERS AND HE SAID HIS FRIENDS FEEL THE SAME WAY. ANY THOUGHTS?
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a considerable number of Hunter owners on this forum, and for the most part we love our boats. The Hunter bashing (and Beneteau bashing and Catalina bashing) originates with boat salesmen who are trying to scare potential clients away from buying more affordable boats than the ones they're trying desperately to sell. These boats are the Fords and Chevies of the yachting world, it it just happens to be a world where we don't all have to drive Jaguars.

You'll also find that more people will read your posts if you can find a solution to the all-caps thing. Typing in all lower case would be a much better alternative because people really will perceive you as a screamer.

Once again, WELCOME TO CF.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 1945d73t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
... The Hunter* bashing (and Beneteau bashing and Catalina bashing*) originates with boat salesmen who are trying to scare potential clients away from buying more affordable boats than the ones they're trying desperately to sell. These boats are the Fords and Chevies of the yachting world, it it just happens to be a world where we don't all have to drive Jaguars...
The “HuntaBeneLina’s” (among many others) offer excellent bang for the buck.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 16:42   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Converting all Upper Case

I Googled "convert caps to lower case" and found a a handy site at www.convertcase.net. I strongly urge you to use it or similar. Not writing in correct English is a breach of our rules, though we do make allowances for members' backgrounds.

I took the liberty of converting your original post and this is what came back...
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new to this and am looking for any advice i can get. I'm currently getting ready to purchase a monohull 40 to 45 foot live aboard vesel that will primarily if not exclusivly be used on the pacific. I'm looking to spend around 85k and i am looking at nothing but used.
The big question i have is yesterday while talking to someone who seems to know their stuff. I brought up that i was looking at the hunter legend ranging from 1984 to 1995. All the models i saw were around 42' and i really like the boat. I especially like the diesel access. It seems that catalina loves to put the diesel in the smallest hole in the floor posssible and that makes a nightmare for any maintenance. I know it is a sailboat but still. But the guy i was talking to had nothing positive to say about hunters and he said his friends feel the same way. Any thoughts?
So i'm looking for good quality. I can sacrifice a really nice interior for good quality rigging and a well designed boat that will serve me well for many years to come with good maintenance. I am a helicopter and jet mechanic and take pride in keeping my stuff in very good condition, but i don't want a lemon of a boat and i'm looking for good suggestions on manufacturers that will do just this. Any ideas? Thanks,
Cam
Further changing i's to I's would make this pretty well perfect English.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 23:57   #9

Thanks everyone,
from what I've read so far i will need to look into this alot more. you say catalinas and hunters are the fords and chevys of the industry. thats what i was suspicious of. the way the people bash one or another it reminds me of exactly that.
i have found however that i really do like CSY sail boats. they are in my price range and they seem like a very sturdy reliable boat. and it seems that if i look hard i can find some really good deals on them aswell.
I currently live in Utah but I'm from Oregon and my wife is from the Oregon coast. We are talking of moving back to the coast around Charelston or North Bend. I love the Charelston marina. i grew up there and i really miss the fog and rain. I'm starting to dry out here in Utah. One thing i don't miss though is the huge sea lions there. these things do some serious boat damage if they manage to get aboard your vessel. plus they'll trap you on the dock if they think they can bully you out of a fish head or something like that. but i will say the dungenous crab there is awsome. you catch them right off your boat and oh boy they are great. Anyway, thanks for the info,
If you have any more ideas on boats like CSY, quality wise, let me know. i don't mind early years as long as it's good quality.
And i'll work on the caps thing.
thanks,
Cam