Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2010, 05:40   #16

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Dial up internet access was really great...right?? Are you ready to cancel high speed internet access and go back to dialup?

I would suspect it is about the same with non hd vs hd
Old 20-04-2010, 06:16   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
My understanding is HD is godd (and only good) for short range stuff. Anchorages, port markers, harbours etc. Non HD has a vastly superior range for off shore nav and longer range target aquisition.

So you get one depending on what you want it for.

Fronk

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 06:18   #18

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I've had HD radar since January. For ranges up to about 15 miles it's unbeatable. For close in work, it's so much better I never even think about using conventional radar. The other advantage is the almost instant 'on' availablity.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 08:24   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
@MarkJ: I think you're mixing up HD with broadband radar. See this Panbo article for a comparison between these two (Furuno UHD vs Simrad BR): Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: BR vs UHD, Capt. Kessler is surprised

And about upgrading a otherwise working non-HD radar: only if you use radar a lot like in the foggy cruising grounds or with lots of night sailing. And then only if you can sell the old kit ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 09:18   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
@MarkJ: I think you're mixing up HD with broadband radar.

ciao!
Nick.
ooops, yes. Opps. Is this the second mistake today?

I shall revert my body to the oven where the fish is cookin

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
For Maine, you really should opt for a 4kW radar like senormechanico described. A quick Google confirms the GMR 18 is 4 kW so you're good to go ;-) I agree that the Furuno options come with the costs in dollars and as you're normal cruising grounds aren't in Maine (where are you?), you probably don't use radar often enough to pay that much more for these features.

David: did you look for updated firmware that supports C-Map yet? I think an update will enable C-Map without the need for new hardware but I am not sure and don't know if it's available already.
The vector charts for the US are the NOAA vector charts and they should not lack any info relevant to navigation that is on their raster charts. If they do, you should report it to NOAA so they can correct that (they outsource the conversion process)

I am currently in shock on the Panbo announcements on the new Furuno GP-33 GPS and RD-33 repeater displays. Wow, what a step from the GP-32 and RD-32 units. These are seriously going to hurt Garmin and Raymarine and may be even Maretron (the one to beat). I am very happy I had postponed buying new kit for a year because I would have been so sick to see all the new stuff just after installing expensive equipment. I think Garmin will react with new versions of their displays but don't think Raymarine will. Question is what B&G is doing....

ciao!
Nick.

Nick -

I see that Furuno finally introduced the GP33. It looks pretty good! I think you are right, these are going to be the units to beat. I can't wait to see what the RD33 is going to be like. Did you see the video on the GP33? Product Guided Tour Videos

Justin
JustinJD008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar