Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 17:49   #91
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,371
Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
I'm seriously in the market for a solid 30 footer and have looked at a selection of FSBO boats recently. You would not believe how crappy some boats are being shown, nor how out of touch some owners are with the current market place. It is a great time to be looking and not to be rushed.

I suggested to one very tired-out owner of a steel beat-to-hell fixer-upper to offer it to a young person with skills for $100 and put in the deal that the new owner take you cruising for a week when the job's done. Didn't go over so well, but really - it could have made two people very happy.
PS: not sure what you're looking for, but there is a Columbia 33 on seattle Craigs list for $6000, estate sale, newer Yanmar diesel and a bunch of stuff. May go for 2/3 that...?
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41   #92
Registered User
 
PamlicoTraveler's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Depends
Boat: SB 43' Cutter
Posts: 679
Images: 13
Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Yes, this is from a genuine (UK) Broker's advert

Classic...Maybe this guy's wife said "Honey, you have to put that boat up for sale," and he agreed to list it.

That's what I would do.
__________________

__________________
The next best thing to playing and winning
is playing and losing ...
[I]
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:15   #93
jzk
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 639
Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Why not... my boats 'Smoker Friendly'.....
Not sure if your post is serious, but clearly you will attract more buyers if you don't advertize your smoker friendliness.... One can always stink up a clean boat, but the reverse is more difficult
__________________
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25   #94
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,226
Images: 2
pirate Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Not sure if your post is serious, but clearly you will attract more buyers if you don't advertize your smoker friendliness.... One can always stink up a clean boat, but the reverse is more difficult
Or.... one could simply regulate where one smokes... not in the fore cabin for starters.. even with an open hatch...
However in a well ventilated saloon or the cockpit when sunny... in the hatchway when not...
Why are all smokers regarded as dirty... some are.. some are not...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40   #95
jzk
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 639
Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Or.... one could simply regulate where one smokes... not in the fore cabin for starters.. even with an open hatch...
However in a well ventilated saloon or the cockpit when sunny... in the hatchway when not...
Why are all smokers regarded as dirty... some are.. some are not...
Don't get me wrong. Sailing to me is about freedom and if you like smoking in small areas in a boat that you own, enjoy.

However, smoking in such areas tends to leave a smell saturated in things that are made of cloth and a film on things like the head liner, etc. So, even if that is present in a boat you are trying to sell, why market that?
__________________
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44   #96
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brisbane
Boat: 50' Robert Beebe Passagemaker
Posts: 8
Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Let me give it to you from 'the horses mouth'...

These are the best of times. These are the worst of times. It all depends on your perspective.

If you need or have to sell, there's never been a worse time to sell - at least in terms of what you'll get.

If you're buying and selling in the same market, there's never been a better time to buy that bigger boat. Because although you will take a bath on your current yacht, you'll more than make that up when you come to buy (at least, that's the theory).

I also agree with Richard Jordan's comments. It must be tough in Florida. Here in Australia there are still plenty of folks with money who wouldn't mind buying a boat. Trouble is; they're sitting on their cash, terrified about what's going to happen next in 'Yooorp', The Banksters, The Fed, Carbon Tax, blah blah blah. And I don't blame 'em!

One half of me wants to see an end to all the global financial uncertainty, and for confidence to return to the market (good luck!), and the other wants to see the whole house of cards collapse so I can finally have an excuse to turn out the lights, close the door, and piss off into the Pacific with my family on our version of The Ark.
__________________
centralyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:53   #97
Registered User
 
TassieBloke's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Switzerland...soon Melbourne AUS
Boat: Transpac 49
Posts: 117
Images: 3
Re: What Do You Think Is the Current State of the Sailboat Market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralyachts View Post
Let me give it to you from 'the horses mouth'...

These are the best of times. These are the worst of times. It all depends on your perspective.

If you need or have to sell, there's never been a worse time to sell - at least in terms of what you'll get.

If you're buying and selling in the same market, there's never been a better time to buy that bigger boat. Because although you will take a bath on your current yacht, you'll more than make that up when you come to buy (at least, that's the theory).

I also agree with Richard Jordan's comments. It must be tough in Florida. Here in Australia there are still plenty of folks with money who wouldn't mind buying a boat. Trouble is; they're sitting on their cash, terrified about what's going to happen next in 'Yooorp', The Banksters, The Fed, Carbon Tax, blah blah blah. And I don't blame 'em!

One half of me wants to see an end to all the global financial uncertainty, and for confidence to return to the market (good luck!), and the other wants to see the whole house of cards collapse so I can finally have an excuse to turn out the lights, close the door, and piss off into the Pacific with my family on our version of The Ark.
Lol, spoken like a true Australian!

+1 to all of the above in AUS.

I personally have just taken the plunge, as it is truly a buyers market and I found exactly what I was looking for right here in my own backyard.

Martinjrichter is correct. Many sellers wont consider carrying the loan, however they do realise that the market is very depressed and there are continuing costs to keep her. Here is my personal experience. I created a small 3 page powerpoint presentation outlining exactly what Martin has said.
First page was a small bio about me (as a buyer), list outlining the costs to keep her.
2nd page I presented what I (and the Broker) considered to be a fair price, then specific reasons how I arrived at that price ($ value for replacing that blown mainsail, standing rigging and oh god, that putrid head).
3rd page was the payment plan showing price, interest rate, installment value and frequency, and most importantly, actual DATES. There is nothing more that a seller wants to see more is when the cash is going to land in his/her bank account.

It is wise to get the Broker on your side with this, otherwise they may work against you. Speak openly and explain why you need to do it this way. I personally was very clear with the Broker right from after the first inspection. He understood, and activley helped me with the owner. Maybe I was lucky, you might be as well.

So why not ask about payment arrangements...no harm right?

Just my 2c, YMMV
__________________

__________________
Just remember, Engineers built the Titanic, and Noah built the Ark
TassieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sailboat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catamarans - Current Market Situation Dragon Lady Multihull Sailboats 505 08-07-2012 18:06
Current Finance Market damionin803 Dollars & Cents 42 24-02-2012 19:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.