Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 11:57   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
What Do You Do With Your Dinghy?

LOL!

I just realized how that sounds!

So, as I'm starting to look at larger Monohulls, I don't see any with davits.. So, how do you stow or transport your dinghy?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 12:05   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: What Do You Do With Your Dinghy?

Using a halyard to lift the dinghy, you can store it upside down on the foredeck using straps. If it is a fully inflatable dinghy, you can just deflate the entire boat and store it down below.

Davits or an arch with some type of block and pulley system is a great investment, especially if you plan on being in an area where you are constantly using the dinghy to get to shore but also need to haul it out of the water quickly and easily to get to a new location, i.e., the Caribbean.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 12:28   #3
cruiser

Ours is stored on Davits, but on a boat the size of our former Hunter 450, I explored the tip-up on the sugar scoop method. The dinghy attaches sideways on a hinge mechanism, then you tip it forward while underway. No Davits, no arch and no dragging behind creating drag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	124620  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 12:31   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Portabote, stored folded on port side deck. Seats stored forward against the cabin. No problem.
Old 20-05-2016, 13:22   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Portabote, stored folded on port side deck. Seats stored forward against the cabin. No problem.
Mike,

Can you water ski behind it? I see some big biceps in your future. Nothing against the portaboat, it's a very clever idea that looks good for lakes and harbors, but.... anchored out in the ocean on a windy day, even 12 knots with choppy waves... you're going to be stuck on your boat.

Cruising full time, you'll be exchanging the porta-boat for a 10ft hard or soft bottom inflatable with at least a 6hp within a year.

Here's a picture of a powerboat with the hinge system I described. They're available for sailboat sterns, then you use a line to tip the dinghy forward while underway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	449
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	124623  
Old 20-05-2016, 13:29   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I know some folks don't like davits, but without them I would sell the dinghy and use a kayak. I wouldn't be able to justify the work of launching. OK if you like to stay on the boat or marina hop, and I get it for crossing oceans, but otherwise....
Old 20-05-2016, 13:34   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mike,

Can you water ski behind it? I see some big biceps in your future.

Cruising full time, you'll be exchanging the porta-boat for a 10ft hard or soft bottom inflatable with at least a 6hp within a year.

Here's a picture of a powerboat with the hinge system I described. They're available for sailboat sterns, then you use a line to tip the dinghy forward while underway.

weaver snap davits........that's what they're called
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 13:38   #8

Boat: Islander, Freeport 36B

Mike, How do you get porte a boat out of the water? When where do you disassemble?
svskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 13:40   #9

Launching and storing a dingy on the fore deck is no big deal, the 2 of us can be ready to go ashore inside of 10 minutes and it's about the same time to bring it aboard. This is a 9 foot Carib with a hard bottom plus a 15 hp outboard. Davits are easier and faster for those that like to use them. I'm not a big believer in sailing offshore with a dink in Davits but plenty of people do it. If you have an air floor model or roll up then you can drop it thru the forward hatch and store it in the v berth while underway.
Ken, I think Mike will still be using his fold a boat years down the trail.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 13:41   #10

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Most of the time stowed on the davits. If at sea for a long period and particularly if expecting gale conditions, then lashed to the cabin roof.
Old 20-05-2016, 13:52   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Ken, I think Mike will still be using his fold a boat years down the trail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	124624  
Old 20-05-2016, 14:37   #12

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
LOL!

I just realized how that sounds!

So, as I'm starting to look at larger Monohulls, I don't see any with davits.. So, how do you stow or transport your dinghy?
Our dinghy is a daily user, so we leave her tied off the boat. On short journeys island hopping, we tow her behind. When circumnavigating a passage, we haul her aboard using the halyard and tie her down on the fore deck. Motor (15 Yamaha 2 stroke) tucks neatly into a locker in the cockpit. Easy..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 15:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Wow! Ken I had no idea you knew Mike this well! Yes that's him alright just before he started to grow the beard. He can put his folding boat together on his lap.

Seriously the folding boats are used by a segment of cruisers, they last forever,they plane with little engines and are very beamy so a quite stable. Usually stored on the rail my bet is that he unites it and puts it together on his fore deck in no time at all and tosses it in the water, they are quite light. Not for us right now but I had one I used on our float plane, strapped to the float struts, very cool little boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 15:44   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

It is davits.

I do not like davits and so store ours on the foredeck.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 17:46   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

How'd you get my pic Ken

Thanks Robert. I think you've said all I would. I've had inflatables. A portabote is no less seaworthy, it just operates a bit differently. But it has the advantages of being light, is nearly indestructible, rows really well, planes with a 3.5 hp engine, and stows safely onboard without davits or having to drag it.

I reserve the right to change my mind, but at this point I can't see any reason to switch back to an inflatable. Inflatable certainly have their advantages, but for us there are too many negatives.

And to answer the assembly question, my partner and I can put it together and launch it in about 15 minutes without rushing. Takes about 20-25 minutes doing it myself. If we were in a hurry it could happen in 5-10 minutes. Work happens on the foredeck. Gets launched and hauled by hand. I can haul it up myself. No halyard, no big production. Disassembly takes about the same time.

Tags
dinghy